Need some serious motivation - help please!

HA3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, need some serious motivation. Was doing so well, bgs dowm, 11kg weightless, doing really well low carbing and then totally fell of the wagon. Hubby was in hospital for surgery and I was driving up and down all the time living on takeaways. He is home now and I have no excuse! Start everyday with good intentions which fade as the day progresses. I know im eating too much bread (burgen but still too much) but hungry :confused:,

everyone seems to snack on cheese and nuts and i dont like either so end up eating a slice of toast, which i think Is what makes me hungry again later arrrghhh :depressed:

need advice, abuse, a slap, anything to get me back on track tomorrow. Think part of the problem is being at home all day looking after hubby, always better when at work. Going shopping tomorrow as well so need to buy the right stuff. x

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
If it's toasted white bread then it is PACKED with sugar, I do not buy or eat it now. Maybe a kick in the backside when you are just about to nibble on naughty carb filled treats might motivate you lol lol.:wacky:

Reactions: 2 people

Mushroom

Stuff happens but it's your whole attitude to low carb which makes the difference. LC/HF is so easy - don't feel deprived at all. It's not a diet, just a way of eating. And so easy to control blood sugars and keep weight down.
My solution was to ditch all carbs. I was a toast addict. I can't stop at eating a small amount of bread, potatoes etc. Dodn't bother with bread substitutes ie Bergen.
Don't 'snack'. II do get hungry but not the intense cravings I used to get. A up of coffee with cream usually sorts any hunger.
Don't go into the supermarket. Shop online. I now do Tesco 'Click and Collect'. Not tempted by sights and smells of fresh bread etc.
Don't think failure, just get back to your LC/HF way of life.
Very best wishes sent to you.

Reactions: 9 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How much fat are you having? Is it possible to increase it a little so that you are not so hungry and therefore don't need to snack? Or you could make fat bombs (google it) for a snack?. Personally I don't find LCHF easy at all, but it does help me lose weight, so I am trying to stick with it. The only protein I really like is cheese and whilst I do eat others I don't enjoy them without 'white carbs' so I can understand why you struggle too because I get stuck for food choices as well.

So that's all the advice I have, sorry....but please get back on track tomorrow and I'll try hard too.:)

HA3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
eddie168 post: 600547 said:
If it's toasted white bread then it is PACKED with sugar, I do not buy or eat it now. Maybe a kick in the backside when you are just about to nibble on naughty carb filled treats might motivate you lol lol.:wacky:
Thankd eddie, It Isnt white so marginally better, burgen soya and linseed, but like it too much really. Hubby would probably oblige with the kick but recovering from spinal surgery so prob not capable right now! ;)

HA3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Stuff happens but it's your whole attitude to low carb which makes the difference. LC/HF is so easy - don't feel deprived at all. It's not a diet, just a way of eating. And so easy to control blood sugars and keep weight down.
My solution was to ditch all carbs. I was a toast addict. I can't stop at eating a small amount of bread, potatoes etc. Dodn't bother with bread substitutes ie Bergen.
Don't 'snack'. II do get hungry but not the intense cravings I used to get. A up of coffee with cream usually sorts any hunger.
Don't go into the supermarket. Shop online. I now do Tesco 'Click and Collect'. Not tempted by sights and smells of fresh bread etc.
Don't think failure, just get back to your LC/HF way of life.
Very best wishes sent to you.
Thanks @Mushroom, i dont find it quite as easy im afraid, but the coffee with cream may well be a good idea for a while. No bread left and determined not to buy more although always some in the house for hubby, will restrain and start again tomorrow! Thank you

Reactions: 5 people

HA3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
How much fat are you having? Is it possible to increase it a little so that you are not so hungry and therefore don't need to snack? Or you could make fat bombs (google it) for a snack?. Personally I don't find LCHF easy at all, but it does help me lose weight, so I am trying to stick with it. The only protein I really like is cheese and whilst I do eat others I don't enjoy them without 'white carbs' so I can understand why you struggle too because I get stuck for food choices as well.

So that's all the advice I have, sorry....but please get back on track tomorrow and I'll try hard too.:)
Thanks @zand have googled the fat bombs and they look a good Idea, going to make some over the weekend. I do struggle with not liking cheese or nuts, the first time in my life i really wish i did. Going to make some sugar free jellies, fat bombs and do coffee with cream and see how i get on. Not sure i am ready to try bullet proof coffee yet:nailbiting:. knowing not everyone finds liw carbing easy helps too. Thanks. x

A

AnnieC

Can someone tell me what Fat Bombs are they sound like something made for birds

Alan S

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Snake oil salespeople and other slime who try to profit from our condition.
need advice, abuse, a slap, anything to get me back on track tomorrow. Think part of the problem is being at home all day looking after hubby, always better when at work. Going shopping tomorrow as well so need to buy the right stuff. x

Well, you did ask for it...
Read these US statistics for some rather frightening motivation: National Diabetes Statistics Report, 2014
I do not believe these statistics apply to pro-active diabetics who work to maintain good control. But for the rest of the diabetic population:

Heart disease and stroke
  • In 2003–2006, after adjusting for population age differences, cardiovascular disease death rates were about 1.7 times higher among adults aged 18 years or older with diagnosed diabetes than among adults without diagnosed diabetes.
  • In 2010, after adjusting for population age differences, hospitalization rates for heart attack were 1.8 times higher among adults aged 20 years or older with diagnosed diabetes than among adults without diagnosed diabetes.
  • In 2010, after adjusting for population age differences, hospitalization rates for stroke were 1.5 times higher among adults with diagnosed diabetes aged 20 years or older compared to those without diagnosed diabetes.
Blindness and eye problems
  • In 2005–2008, of adults with diabetes aged 40 years or older, 4.2 million (28.5%) people had diabetic retinopathy, damage to the small blood vessels in the retina that may result in loss of vision.
  • In 2005–2008, of adults with diabetes aged 40 years or older, 655,000 (4.4%) had advanced diabetic retinopathy—with conditions such as clinically significant macular edema and proliferative diabetic retinopathy— that could lead to severe vision loss.
Kidney disease
  • Diabetes was listed as the primary cause of kidney failure in 44% of all new cases in 2011.
  • In 2011, 49,677 people of all ages began treatment for kidney failure due to diabetes.
  • In 2011, a total of 228,924 people of all ages with kidney failure due to diabetes were living on chronic dialysis or with a kidney transplant.
Amputations
  • In 2010, about 73,000 non-traumatic lower-limb amputations were performed in adults aged 20 years or older with diagnosed diabetes.
  • About 60% of non-traumatic lower-limb amputations among people aged 20 years or older occur in people with diagnosed diabetes.
Other conditions and complications
  • People with diabetes may have or develop other complications or conditions, such as nerve disease, non-alcoholic fatty liver disease, periodontal (gum) disease, hearing loss, erectile dysfunction, depression, and complications of pregnancy, among others.

Last edited by a moderator:

HA3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Can someone tell me what Fat Bombs are they sound like something made for birds
Hi @AnnieC If you just google fat bombs you will get loads of recipes, basically they are high fat, low carb, low protein snacks. x

HA3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, you did ask go it...
Read these US statistics for some rather frightening motivation: National Diabetes Statistics Report, 2014
I do not believe these statistics apply to pro-active diabetics who work to maintain good control. But for the rest of the diabetic population:
Thanks @Alan S , you are right I did ask! Had a good day yesterday and feeling motivated to stay good. I really believe for me eating bread is the slippery slope. So no bread yesterday or today or ever......that may be a tad too hard but feeling positive, motivated and not hungry! Cheers. x

Alan S

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thanks @Alan S , you are right I did ask! Had a good day yesterday and feeling motivated to stay good. I really believe for me eating bread is the slippery slope. So no bread yesterday or today or ever......that may be a tad too hard but feeling positive, motivated and not hungry! Cheers. x
Are you testing an hour after meals? That is the method I use to keep myself honest.

HA3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you testing an hour after meals? That is the method I use to keep myself honest.
I test before and 2 hrs after although not every meal now. I know those I am ok with. To be honest when I'm not being good I don't always test as I know what the result will be and it seems a waste of a strip, perhaps I should, may get me back on track faster if I see how bad the result is! Feel I am back on track now though. Due a hba1c test in the next 2 weeks so guess that will tell me what impact my 'off the wagon' stage has had. It has only been 2-3 weeks though. :)

Alan S

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I test before and 2 hrs after although not every meal now. I know those I am ok with. To be honest when I'm not being good I don't always test as I know what the result will be and it seems a waste of a strip, perhaps I should, may get me back on track faster if I see how bad the result is! Feel I am back on track now though. Due a hba1c test in the next 2 weeks so guess that will tell me what impact my 'off the wagon' stage has had. It has only been 2-3 weeks though. :)
Just for fun, try one hour tomorrow. I suspect you may get some surprises. I give my reasons here: When To Test?

lindisfel

Expert

Hi Alan,
Do you suspect there is only a loose relationship between Hba1c and damage to the body?
Intuitively :) one would suspect the area under graph....eg the 'integrated reading' would cause the damage.

i thought you made some good points......I peak at c.1 hour, post start of meal.
regards
Derek

Alan S

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi Alan,
Do you suspect there is only a loose relationship between Hba1c and damage to the body?
Intuitively :) one would suspect the area under graph....eg the 'integrated reading' would cause the damage.

i thought you made some good points......I peak at c.1 hour, post start of meal.
regards
Derek
The loose relationship is between A1c and home blood glucose testing. I see the various tables and formulae used for that as very loose indeed. Too often I see people writing "your A1c of x equals an average blood glucose of y". That is rarely true even if A1c was an average, which it is not. It is an indicator of past BG levels, but not an average.

I agree that excessive A1c is dangerous. The DCCT (Type 1) and UKPDS (Type 2) research shows that very clearly. I am just a diabetic, not a medic, but where I differ from many medical professionals is the disregard many have for short term blood glucose spikes. I also believe those are dangerous. The problem is that very little research has been done in that area. A1c is easy to use in research, but it takes a lot more cost and effort to have test subjects test themselves often enough after meals for long enough periods to discover the long term effects of post-meal spikes.

There are some researchers, such as Dr Lois Jovanovic, starting to explore this subject but very few. Most take the easy way out using static indicators such as A1c, FBG and 2-hr post-prandial. I hope to see more research on the long-term effects of post-prandial spikes as CGMS becomes more readily available.Unfortunately the only CGMS-based research I have seen was a Swedish study on non-diabetics. That helps clarify the post-prandial levels of non-diabetics but does nothing to help understand long-term effects of spikes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
Hi HA3,

I found this forum extremely helpful with great tips, advice and lifestyle changing ideas, when first diagnosed back in Jan 2000.

My advice would be:

1. Life is for living. Don't let diabetes take over your life. Control your diabetes, don't let it control you

2. Reboot your body. Same as you would do with a laptop or PC that becomes slow, sluggish or unresponsive. The best one by far is "The Newcastle Diet" and it's FREE. Just Google it for more info

3. Be open minded. Don't assume GP's and nurses know everything; they don't! Knowledge is power and some personal research is both healthy for the mind and good for the soul

mch1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi HA3

I have been making my own bread with flax seed and ground almonds and eggs, the consistency is between cake and bread but testing before and after it has virtually no effect on my bg levels and allows me to bulk up when needed, its not the same texture as bread but allows me to have a sandwich without the carbs, 5 mins to prepare 25 mins to bake

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@mch1966 those ingredients sound great. Have you put the recipe on the site? if yes where? as I would love to try this. :)