Running glucose gels

Drifter

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello. I've fairly recently started running and am looking to get some glucose gels to take whilst running. I thought choosing one would be easy, but there seems to be a huge variety. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

gorillamark

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
In my experience they all taste foul. Do you have to use them? - The alternatives (again my experience) are a bit more palatable. If you do have to use them I'd either go for Glucogel (these are the ones that used to be called hypostop) - Just because they're a known quantity. Other than that I'd buy a small selection of the cheapest ones and see which ones I can tolerate. I vaguely remember being told that Boots have one that's reasonable but I don't live in the UK so can't guarantee that's the case.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If you've only just started running, do you really need them? They are not surprisingly quite high in glucose so you may not need that much. I've used them for marathon distances but not for half marathons.
Also, in my experience, they don't taste good and you end up having to take a sticky tube home with you.
Yes you may well need to do/take something to help avoid/cope with hypos.
Part of that is to do with adjusting insulin and timing of your run.
There are many variations on what people do. Some people take jelly babies/beans with them. I don't like jelly so tend to use dextrose tablets. You can also try taking lower glycemic carbs just before a run. When I was running about 10 miles, I used to have half a low gi bar just before starting and perhaps have the other half later on

Drifter

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I find that a half hour run is ok but any longer and i need carbs! I'm T1 and use a pump. I turn the basal off before running and ensure a glucose level above 7 before starting. I ran for an hour yesterday with no carbs en route and finished with a BG of 2.7!

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello. I've fairly recently started running and am looking to get some glucose gels to take whilst running. I thought choosing one would be easy, but there seems to be a huge variety. Does anyone have any recommendations?

High-5 tend to be quite palatable. And at about 20g carb each, easier to manage/fine tune the carb intake.

I've tried others and would avoid Hammr - odd taste, zipvit - like wallpaper paste. Bike food are quite a nice flavour, and 30g carbs each.

Search for Discount Supplements, they usually have deals.

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I find that a half hour run is ok but any longer and i need carbs! I'm T1 and use a pump. I turn the basal off before running and ensure a glucose level above 7 before starting. I ran for an hour yesterday with no carbs en route and finished with a BG of 2.7!

I think an hour is a good session, I'd need carbs by then as well depending on my session and how long since last bolus.

How predictable is your run timing? Can you adjust basal earlier, say an hour or so beforehand, turn it to minimum to let levels drop as they woudl with a non-pancreatically challenged individual?

Drifter

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I do love the idea of planning a little better but it's usually a "ooh just enough time for a run!" moment! Hence I turn the basal off as soon as I think it and then take on some carbs, usually lucozade, before I go out! Thanks for the ideas I'll check them out!