Need some serious motivation - help please!

HA3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi HA3

I have been making my own bread with flax seed and ground almonds and eggs, the consistency is between cake and bread but testing before and after it has virtually no effect on my bg levels and allows me to bulk up when needed, its not the same texture as bread but allows me to have a sandwich without the carbs, 5 mins to prepare 25 mins to bake

Hi @mch1966 , that sounds good, do you have the recipe please? x

mch1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Here we go, dry mix is 1 cup of flax seed 1/2 cup of ground almonds tea spoon of baking powder 1/2 teaspoon of salt,.
Wet mix 3 whole eggs 3 table spoins water.

Rub the dry mix togethet by hand, whisk the eggs and water well, add the liquid mix to the dry ingredients and whisk until you start to get ribbons, put in a small loaf tin and bake at 200 degree's for 25 mins ( as the mix is quite wet I recommended a silicon rubberised baking mould £2,95 from dunelm) good luck

Reactions: 5 people

Gary25566

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who don't say thank you
Hi HA3,

I found this forum extremely helpful with great tips, advice and lifestyle changing ideas, when first diagnosed back in Jan 2000.

My advice would be:

1. Life is for living. Don't let diabetes take over your life. Control your diabetes, don't let it control you

2. Reboot your body. Same as you would do with a laptop or PC that becomes slow, sluggish or unresponsive. The best one by far is "The Newcastle Diet" and it's FREE. Just Google it for more info

3. Be open minded. Don't assume GP's and nurses know everything; they don't! Knowledge is power and some personal research is both healthy for the mind and good for the soul
I'm out of these forums there are to many F U C K I N G idiots like this the Newcastle diet can kill you stone dead

HA3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I asked for advice and happy for all to express thier thoughts. I can then make my own decision as to how to proceed. The newcastle diet has been shown to work for some when undertaken with medical supervision. Personally its a bit too extreme for me and I prefer the low carb approach which works for me when I follow it.. I am back on track and feeling good. Thanks for everyone's comments and suggestions and @mch1966 I will definitely give your bread a go. :) x

Reactions: 2 people

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
I see the moderation has become a bit more laxed since the last time I was on here......:D

Don't feed the troll.

A classic example of someone trying to force his opinion down everyone's throats. You know the type - "my way or the highway".

I feel sorry for guys like that.

Get a life

Reactions: 4 people

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm out of these forums there are to many F U C K I N G idiots like this the Newcastle diet can kill you stone dead

A more constructive argument against Newcastle might be more helpful. So ... Wind your neck in please and state your argument against.

I'm being serious, perhaps you've had a bad experience and it would be helpful if you shared it rather than be abusive.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, need some serious motivation. Was doing so well, bgs dowm, 11kg weightless, doing really well low carbing and then totally fell of the wagon. Hubby was in hospital for surgery and I was driving up and down all the time living on takeaways. He is home now and I have no excuse! Start everyday with good intentions which fade as the day progresses. I know im eating too much bread (burgen but still too much) but hungry :confused:,

everyone seems to snack on cheese and nuts and i dont like either so end up eating a slice of toast, which i think Is what makes me hungry again later arrrghhh :depressed:

need advice, abuse, a slap, anything to get me back on track tomorrow. Think part of the problem is being at home all day looking after hubby, always better when at work. Going shopping tomorrow as well so need to buy the right stuff. x
Do you like eggs? They can be filling and you can buy jars of pickled eggs. I had never had them until my mum and dad bought some. Or you could boil a batch and keep them in the fridge.

I also like olives.

A glass of fizzy water and a magazine (put it through the shredder first, it's more easily digested ;-) )

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
Do you like eggs? They can be filling and you can buy jars of pickled eggs. I had never had them until my mum and dad bought some. Or you could boil a batch and keep them in the fridge.

I also like olives.

A glass of fizzy water and a magazine (put it through the shredder first, it's more easily digested ;-) )

lol is magazine an auto correct typo? or are you actually eating magazines?

hawkeyeuk

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
hi Ha3, just remember if you are not on top form who will help look after your hubby. My wife is t2 on insulin with numerous complications and I have to keep reminding my self that I have to look after myself to help her when she needs it. good luck

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Since this guy was carrying enough excess body fat to successfully live off it for 382 days without falling off the perch, I hardly think an 8 week Newcastle Diet is likely to kill someone "stone dead":
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2495396/

Can you actually quote one case where someone died while following it? This is not the same as the nutritionally unbalanced liquid diets that killed in the past.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Off Topic for the main subject:
reply to a post earlier in the thread.
@Alan S
There have been several studies using cgm on normal individuals since the one you mentioned which had relatively young subjects .This one is the largest I know of using non diabetics of various ages , from several countries. .(other similar studies mentioned in the discussion section )
http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00125-010-1741-9
the relationship between postprandial glycemic variability and complications has been a 'hot' topic for several years .
Here is a 2013 paper outlining the evidence for and against such a relationship http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/36/Supplement_2/S272.full.pdf html