What have you eaten today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marko723

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast was an omelet with red bell pepper, onions, bacon and sausage.

Woke up this morning feeling off. Neck and upper back was really tight and knotted. Headache in the back of my head and behind my eyes. Felt like I used to before going lchf. BS tested in at 6.1 this morning, not terrible, but higher than my last 2 weeks.

Did a fair bit of googling and my symptoms seemed to point towards a potassium deficiency. For lunch I ate a cup and a half of raw broccoli..... Within about 20-25 minutes I started to feel better, another 20 minutes and all the muscle tightness was nearly gone, and my headache cleared. Further reading warns to also watch your magnesium on a lchf diet. Snacking on some mixed nuts and pumpkin seeds. Feeling much better over the last couple of hours.

Looks like I need to make sure I balance my food selection better in each meal.

Reactions: 2 people

kimbo1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Today.......Breakfast bacon, mushrooms and two hot dog sausages (0.7 grm carb each)
Late lunch at work......salmon and cucumber
Supper.......scratchings, cheddar, sugar free jelly and cream

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
On trying to find butter in portion sizes I realised I think I have underestimated how much butter I have been having. Rather that the 25g I think Ive had, its more like 50 if I generously butter 2 toast and poss use some for eggs. That means overall Im not as much under 1500 cals as I thought. My average carbs is 16% which could be lower. I think I gotta ditch the bread. :-(

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

I'm sorry. Try it for a week or two, and see. No need to make a permanent anti-bread declaration at this point. ;)

Marko723

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@mo53

If you go to the low carb recipe thread (it runs to pages), then somewhere about page 3? 4? 5? Is a fantastic recipe for creamy (or cheesy) cabbage.

I believe I found the one you refer to. Yummy! Made some yesterday, found it even better as leftovers today paired with a spicy meat chilly. :D

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Another few days of this monsoon and I should have dinner. I am growing some yellow courgettes as they will look more like spaghetti :hungry:

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people

kimbo1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just had an inspired moment........Had two full fat Langley farm yogurts in the fridge, 16gm carb per pot, have portioned them up into 8's in an ice cube tray, couple of those as an option to ice cream, only 2gm carbs each!! Waiting for the freezer to do it's stuff now........

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Try and relax - says she who's last known BP in surgery was 180/80 and taken yesterday at home was 114/64. I think I have white wardrobe syndrome! They should take three readings to try and give it chance to settle so ask for that if it is up.
I just noticed this LOL "wardrobe!" Is that a very severe case of white coat syndrome? :hilarious:

I have that a bit so now take in my home BP monitor and nursie takes an average of my readings. No point taking my reading in the surgery as steam starts coming out of the machine :oops:

B

badcat

In relation to white coat syndrome & blood pressure - ask for a 24 hour BP monitor.
It's a pain in the **** as it takes a reading once an hour making sleep and work problematic but at least you get an accurate picture before they start to medicate you - my BP goes to 220/100 in the surgery / hospital but is 126/69 on a 24 hr trace.

Food wise today so far has been
B - whey protein shake
L - homemade paneer and herb fritters
S - 1/2 an Atkins peanut caramel bar
D - home made soy milk latte, 2 cups of tea

Dinner is planned to be either veggies from the garden with Quorn sausage & egg or a homemade courgette and manchego cheese tortilla with salad (I'm getting 2-3 yellow courgettes a day from the garden along with yellow plum tomatoes red cherry tomatoes, beans,cucumbers, kale & peas so need to be cooking things that utilise them)
I've also got a handful of raspberries and a ton of rhubarb from the garden so I may have one of those with some natural yogurt, vanilla & flaxseeds

A

Avocado Sevenfold

In relation to white coat syndrome & blood pressure - ask for a 24 hour BP monitor.
It's a pain in the **** as it takes a reading once an hour making sleep and work problematic but at least you get an accurate picture before they start to medicate you - my BP goes to 220/100 in the surgery / hospital but is 126/69 on a 24 hr trace.

Food wise today so far has been
B - whey protein shake
L - homemade paneer and herb fritters
S - 1/2 an Atkins peanut caramel bar
D - home made soy milk latte, 2 cups of tea

Dinner is planned to be either veggies from the garden with Quorn sausage & egg or a homemade courgette and manchego cheese tortilla with salad (I'm getting 2-3 yellow courgettes a day from the garden along with yellow plum tomatoes red cherry tomatoes, beans,cucumbers, kale & peas so need to be cooking things that utilise them)
I've also got a handful of raspberries and a ton of rhubarb from the garden so I may have one of those with some natural yogurt, vanilla & flaxseeds
I spy someone with the Celia Brooks book? :watching: Your food sounds amazing.

Thanks for the BP info.

B

badcat

I spy someone with the Celia Brooks book? :watching: Your food sounds amazing.

Thanks for the BP info.
Yep to the Celia brooks book - the recipes I've tried are nice but I spiced up the fritters the second time I made them and had them with 40g of Yarden Greek style aubergines which acts as a nice pickle type thing!
http://www.ocado.com/webshop/product/Yarden-Greek-Style-Aubergine/82978011
40g of their red cabbage salad also makes a nice addition - neither of them are ultra low carb but a little goes a long way in terms of adding taste
http://www.ocado.com/webshop/product/Yarden-Red-Cabbage-in-Mayonnaise/15525011

Last edited:
A

Avocado Sevenfold

B

badcat

What a lovely combination. You are making me hungry now.

I am waiting for my courgettes to spring to life then will try the manchego tortilla recipe. It looks very good.
You must be further north than me - I'm in London and getting 2-3 yellow courgettes a day from 2 plants one of the ones I found yesterday was approaching baby marrow size!
I made a nice mix by cooking yellow courgettes,garlic,red onion,red pepper, yellow patty pan,plum tomato, tarragon, flat leaf parsley and a little red chilli in some olive oil, a Bit of balsamic vinegar & a little splenda

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who interrupt you when you're talking and people who won't listen.
You must be further north than me - I'm in London and getting 2-3 yellow courgettes a day from 2 plants one of the ones I found yesterday was approaching baby marrow size!
I made a nice mix by cooking yellow courgettes,garlic,red onion,red pepper, yellow patty pan,plum tomato, tarragon, flat leaf parsley and a little red chilli in some olive oil, a Bit of balsamic vinegar & a little splenda
I'm up north and I can tell you my veggies are taking f.o.r.e.v.e.r to grown and ripen...no chance of eating anything for a while. I have had 2 cucumbers and that's it. I'm dying for my tomatoes to grow and ripen though!

Marko723

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Okay..... Reading these messages is making me hungry. :)

Breakfast, another omelette. Zucchini (courgette), left over pork sausage, remaining portion of red bell pepper from yesterday, and some cheese. Also dusted the inside with crushed red pepper flakes before I added the cheese. Still on my spicy food cravings. Seems the hotter the better these last few days with no ill effect. I have (had?) a mild form of IBS for many years, and it seems to have gone in remission after a few weeks on LCHF.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Yes, I'm in Glasgow so a bit milder here. I was late planting out this year so not expecting much. Ignored the plants when my cat got ill as he got all the available nurturing quota at the plants' expense. Good year so far for berries and apples. Got one green tomato and a couple of little cukes in the greenhouse. Will try harder next year :oops:

Weird Science

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Went out for a few beers yesterday which ended up a LOT of beer, staggered home at 3am,hangover from hell today, only just feeling part human, def. no more beer ever, first time seriously drunk in 2 years, and the last time was on holiday here, must break this habit

Bf Fry up @ 1pm

went back to bed

Dinner @ 6pm broccoli and beef stir fry

Going to bed hoping to feel human again tomorrow :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

A

Avocado Sevenfold

If you can't get refreshed on holiday, then when can you? Take care, Weirdy :nurse:

mch1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Boring food so far apart from the beer :) bf bacon sandwich, lunch john smiths :) dinner salmon, broccoli, cauliflower with creme fresche seasoned with dill chive and lemon

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Chocolate Ice cream...

250g dark choc
4 egg yokes
300ml double cream
1 tsp vanilla essence
2 tbsp whiskey
60g butter (unsalted)

melt choc and then stir in yokes
cream butter and mix into choc
whisk cream until stiff add whiskey and vanilla ess
fold cream into choc mix

line loaf tin with cling film or use individual ramekins
pour mixture in and freeze (about 6 to 8 hours) in an air tight container or bag
No need to stir during freezing process

Depending on choc content can be quite bitter.

Serve however you want

You can also add crushed hazelnuts (replace the whiskey with ameretto) ....

Reactions: 8 people
Status
Not open for further replies.