Votes: 5 45.5%

• Total voters

DavideB

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
Hello. Has anyone noticed their BS go up since starting vaping? Mine has gone up a tad. Not had a cig since Christmas, but noticed a slight increase in my morning BS

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No idea what 'vaping' is, but that probably means your poll doesn't apply to me. :)

mch1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I moved from 40 cigs a day on 2nd of may have been using an ecig shisha and whilst I have not touched a cig my bs has gone up significantly, been doing some checking and one of the 4 contents of the e liquid is vg vegetable glycol which contains sugars, this substance also gets used in foods, if anyone knows any more info be grateful to hear

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Dishonest people, pessimism, spiders, mushrooms.
Here's a post made by another user a while ago on ecigs/eshisha

They contain Propylene glycol (PG) and Vegetable Glycerin (VG)in small amounts. I found the same when i used them so researched it. I stayed with them tho.. reckoned smoking was the real risk. I don't smoke now :D

Propylene glycol is an organic compound which has ubiquitous applications in everything from food manufacturing to lubrication of industrial equipment. Oral toxicity for both acute and long-term exposure is very low. In humans, PG is metabolized into lactic, pyruvic (a ketone), and acetic (vinegar) acids, all three of which are already naturally found in the human body. The only complication I could see from this would be if you take metformin. Although rare, metformin has been known to potentiate lactic acidosis, a potentially life-threatening condition caused by a build-up of lactic acid. However, it’s doubtful that the amount of lactic acid the PG in your pseudo-cigarette would cause you to metabolize would be sufficient to induce lactic acidosis. The bottom line: propylene glycol is generally recognized as safe and should have a neutral effect on blood sugar concentration.

Vegetable glycerin, more commonly referred to as glycerol, is a polyol alcohol compound. Glycerol is a common food additive which works as a preservative, a sweetener, and thickening agent. Humans metabolize glycerol into a form of triglycerides, phospholipids, and possibly glucose. Since glycerol is an alcohol, it does metabolize like a carbohydrate, although it has a lower glycemic index than sucrose. Thus, it is likely to cause a small increase in your blood sugar, though the amount contained in your pseudo-cigarette is unlikely to make that increase significant (or perhaps even detectible). The bottom line: vegetable glycerin is generally recognized as safe and might produce a modest temporary elevation of blood sugar.

The bottom-bottom line: whatever risks might be involved with the intake of propylene glycol and vegetable glycerin are clearly much smaller than the known risks of cigarette smoking. I applaud you in your decision and action to discontinue smoking. Nicotine is perhaps the most addictive drug to exist, so I highly respect your efforts

Reactions: 6 people

mch1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Many thanks for the informative answer, I also read that because the sugar is inhaled as vapor it has a much faster impact as it goes straight into the blood stream where as the sugars found in the food form of VG and PG is digested then introduced as glucose via the liver, I have spoken with a couple of suppliers of e liquids today and i am waiting for suggestions on the ratio of mixes, sweetners included in flavourings, if any thing interesting comes back then I will post here, thanks

Onlyababy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been vaping since January this year and got diagnosed in the March, but I think it is much better option then smoking fags and all the rubbish that is in them. So I don't know if hoping makes my bs higher or not

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
I see my post on this thread has been removed and yet on another thread someone was very abusive to me - used the F word - and that has not been removed.

Now I remember why I stopped posting and visiting this forum.

Some things never change it seems...

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I see my post on this thread has been removed and yet on another thread someone was very abusive to me - used the F word - and that has not been removed.

Some things never change it seems...

Did you report the abusive thread?
I think the moderators are spread rather thinly, particularly at the weekends.
I've reported two things myself today, and that is very rare, so they are probably doing their best.

patsmurf

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Here's astress and worry so I tried e cigs instead of real cigarettes and now im addicted to them instead but my bloog sugars are no different to before i started them t made by another user a while ago on ecigs/eshisha

They contain Propylene glycol (PG) and Vegetable Glycerin (VG)in small amounts. I found the same when i used them so researched it. I stayed with them tho.. reckoned smoking was the real risk. I don't smoke now :D

Propylene glycol is an organic compound which has ubiquitous applications in everything from food manufacturing to lubrication of industrial equipment. Oral toxicity for both acute and long-term exposure is very low. In humans, PG is metabolized into lactic, pyruvic (a ketone), and acetic (vinegar) acids, all three of which are already naturally found in the human body. The only complication I could see from this would be if you take metformin. Although rare, metformin has been known to potentiate lactic acidosis, a potentially life-threatening condition caused by a build-up of lactic acid. However, it’s doubtful that the amount of lactic acid the PG in your pseudo-cigarette would cause you to metabolize would be sufficient to induce lactic acidosis. The bottom line: propylene glycol is generally recognized as safe and should have a neutral effect on blood sugar concentration.

Vegetable glycerin, more commonly referred to as glycerol, is a polyol alcohol compound. Glycerol is a common food additive which works as a preservative, a sweetener, and thickening agent. Humans metabolize glycerol into a form of triglycerides, phospholipids, and possibly glucose. Since glycerol is an alcohol, it does metabolize like a carbohydrate, although it has a lower glycemic index than sucrose. Thus, it is likely to cause a small increase in your blood sugar, though the amount contained in your pseudo-cigarette is unlikely to make that increase significant (or perhaps even detectible). The bottom line: vegetable glycerin is generally recognized as safe and might produce a modest temporary elevation of blood sugar.

The bottom-bottom line: whatever risks might be involved with the intake of propylene glycol and vegetable glycerin are clearly much smaller than the known risks of cigarette smoking. I applaud you in your decision and action to discontinue smoking. Nicotine is perhaps the most addictive drug to exist, so I highly respect your efforts
I gave up smoking nearly 4 years ago but had a kot of stre

patsmurf

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
There ainy no problem with vaping its got to be better than all that tobacco rubbishOTE="patsmurf, post: 628094, member: 122212"]I gave up smoking nearly 4 years ago but had a kot of stre[/QUOTE]
I have been vaping since January this year and got diagnosed in the March, but I think it is much better option then smoking fags and all the rubbish that is in them. So I don't know if hoping makes my bs higher or not
The

patsmurf

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
[QUOTvaping if u enjoy it nothing to do with anybody ekse materdbeg, post: 603894, member: 24122"]I see my post on this thread has been removed and yet on another thread someone was very abusive to me - used the F word - and that has not been removed.

Some things never change it seems...[/QUOTE]
Keep vapi