Bananas

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Simple answer is test, but for most they are a nope!

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
No. They are largely a tasty combination of sugar and starch. Quite unsuitable if you are trying to keep your carbohydrates low. The rule of thumb for fruit is avoid anything from the topics (banana, pineapple, mango etc) and focus on northern fruits (apples, berries). Avoid any fruit juice or smoothie. The key is, as always, test and find out what works for you, some can manage more fruit than others.
Sally

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I tend to eat a banana sandwich for my supper however after reading this I think I better stop that....

Reactions: 2 people

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
i love bananas but they send my levels up so only occasionly have one now

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have half a banana as a serve , the weight to cho would be online. There is nothing you can't have, its just how much.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
The more unripe the better. Try a small one and see how it affects you. I love a small banana with desiccated coconut and a blob of cream.

JontyW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance & Arrogance.
A medium sized banana, with a weight of 130g with the skin on, is about 20g carbs, so that is quite high if you are doing ' low carb' diet.

This page in Carbs & Cals book or app shows the different sizes .....

Attachments

• Bananas.jpg
    Bananas.jpg
    434.7 KB · Views: 137
Reactions: 4 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, have them small and not too ripe if you are having them but avoid where you can

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
Who eats bananas with skins on l mean other than some primates ... even a lot of them chuck the skin o_O

Reactions: 4 people

tony-greaves

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
i told my doctor i was eating my five fruits a day , he told me to leave all fruits behind because of natural sugers , he advised me to just he a banana instead , now im very confused ?

JontyW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance & Arrogance.
Who eats bananas with skins on l mean other than some primates ... even a lot of them chuck the skin o_O
I'm not sure if your comment was serious or not, but I agree those banana photos could possibly confuse some.

So just to clarify things ... I've just weighed a 'medium-ish' banana WITH skin, and then again WITHOUT skin.

With skin: 190g
Without skin: 130g
Weight of skin: 60g

So the photos show what state the banana is in (skinned or not) when you WEIGHT IT. Good idea to show weight with skin on since you can do that when preparing your work lunch or picnic etc. Skinned version is just before you eat at home when scales are handy.

BTW: my banana is pretty HIGH carbs at 30g. One thing I've realised, even after 45 years of thinking I knew the carbs, was that bananas are MUCH higher than I was initially adviced which was "about 15g carbs" .. way out.

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
@tony-greaves wrote, "i told my doctor i was eating my five fruits a day , he told me to leave all fruits behind because of natural sugers , he advised me to just he a banana instead , now im very confused ?"

I think it's your doctor who is confused!

but it did remind me of the old joke that,
It takes an education to know that a tomato is a fruit, but common sense to know not to put it in a fruit salad.

Sally

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can manage half a banana without spiking my BG's too much, as dawnmc says, the best way to find out is to test. Personally I find bananas useful for their potassium content so I include half of one when I can

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
It takes an education to know that a tomato is a fruit, but common sense to know not to put it in a fruit salad.
Sally

I used to make a variant of Waldorf salad that included sliced banana.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I used to make a variant of Waldorf salad that included sliced banana.
lol, and I sometimes put tomatoes in my fruit salad, but wasn't going to say anything in case people think I'm being difficult! I'm not, I'm just strange.:)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
lol, and I sometimes put tomatoes in my fruit salad, but wasn't going to say anything in case people think I'm being difficult! I'm not, I'm just strange.:)

Not as bad as my favourite when I was pregnant. A tin of mandarin oranges on toast. How gross was that.:arghh:

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Good idea to eat half instead of a whole one and never ever eaten skins yak...I like them when still a little green and not when ripe they seem squidgy ....

forge

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Getting old and everything that goes with it. All the repeats on TV. The drongos who ring me up to sell me things. Religious havens for pedophiles and war-mongers.
I eat a banana per day because my potassium was on the low side. Total health is my aim.

JRW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I tend to eat them before exercise, I need about 50-60g of carbs an hour for cardio, so try to take some of that carb as a fruit that will give me some vitamins & nutrients rather than just taking a sports drink or gel.