Getting back on track

Elafon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well looks like being diagnose with type 1 due to auto immune has left me rather confused. My levels at best are around 11-14 I'm trying but I find it very hard. I can bring down my BS to around 5-7 but then feel really tired. I almost feel better at 11 but I know that's high. Exercise just started it up again. How do I get into a routine and how do I control this.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Welcome to the forum :)

It's early days if you've just been diagnosed and it will take a some time to get your insulin doses right to control your blood glucose levels. The reason why you feel better with higher bg levels is because body has adapted to them, when you start to lower your bg you can experience what they call false hypo's whereby you feel the symptoms of hypoglycaemia even though your levels are normal, in time these symptoms do disappear so don't worry.

Just keep reporting back to your diabetes team with your bg levels and they will advise you on adjusting the doses, once you've been diagnosed for 6 months you can go on a carb counting course such as DAFNE (Google) which teaches you the basics of carb counting and matching your insulin accordingly. There's an on-line version of DAFNE which by all accounts is very good but the website is unavailable at the moment, however if you Google BDEC Diabetes Learning Programme later you should be able to access it.

For a good book to read on type 1 diabetes management I would recommend Think Like a Pancreas by Gary Scheiner, it covers all aspects of diabetes management and is a really good read.

As for exercising, have a read around Runsweet, it was for set-up for people with type 1 diabetes who enjoy sport:

http://www.runsweet.com/

Reactions: 2 people

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@noblehead Ive just read your Chinese proverb and think it is absoutely brilliant and very apt! Fantastic.:)

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
@noblehead Ive just read your Chinese proverb and think it is absoutely brilliant and very apt! Fantastic.:)

Thanks Mo, I've had a few in my signature but the current one is one of my favourites :)

HAlyssa

Type of diabetes
Carer
Treatment type
Insulin
My sisters used to be constantly running high (above 12). Her doctor said that if you are constantly at a higher level, your body learns to ignore the signs of being high so when you drop down to the right levels, it makes you feel like you're in a hypo/symptoms of a hypo but being above 7 increases the risks of other issues/illnesses.
Now she has to test before eating and an hour after eating to see if she needs more insulin to lower her sugars.
Talk to your nurse/doctor they will give advice.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App