Wholegrain rice and pasta

Pinkerbell

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I will shortly be starting on novorapid with my meals. When calculating for wholegrain rice or pasta, is there anything I need to be aware of? I'm slightly concerned that it might take so long to be processed by my body that I might need to be careful with my ratios (I'm starting on 1unit to 20g as still producing some of my own insulin)

Thanks in advance! :)

Pinkerbell

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Awesome, thanks :)

I meant the whole gain rice might take longer to be processed than the insulin btw, just realised that wasn't clear!

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Many people find it better to inject straight after they have eaten pasta or rice due to the slow digestion. Others tend to split their dose, so basically it's trial and error.I don't eat the stuff so can't give any personal experience. :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
As CarbsRok says it's trial & error, you could inject upfront, after eating or split the dose depending on your postprandial bg readings, I find if I have pasta in say lasagne I always need to split-dose due to the high-fat content of the meal.

Nyxks

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Discrimination based on gender, age, medical conditions, etc.
I find rice gives a flash high that is followed by a crash - so I've over compensated a few times by taking to much insulin (bad move) - sp it would be a good idea of test at various points after you've eaten to see how its going, splitting your dosage isn't a bad option if you feel safe doing so (i tend to take mine after i've eaten for my own pice of mind).