potatoes

johnnym1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all really confused. My GP has told me that OK to eat new potatoes or jacket spuds. My nurse on the other hand has said avoid spuds at all times.

Which one of them is right?

Cheers

John

A

Avocado Sevenfold

They both could be right. The only way to find out is to test you blood glucose levels after you eat spuds. Some people tolerate them better than others.

Reactions: 2 people

jim1951

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I find I can tolerate new or salad potatoes better than I can tolerate old or roast potatoes.

jim

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Haven't had a spud in yonks. I have yearned for a chip butty. No chance.maybe one day! Mmmm!

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
hi, potatoes = carbohydrates = sugar = nurse is right :)

Amethyst579

Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Possibly the point your GP was making is that as a small portion of new or jacket potatoes has a lower GI than the same weight of mash, they will take longer to be digested and have less of rapid impact on your blood glucose levels. Your nurse is correct in that all spuds, whatever their type, are a lump of starch which is basically glucose just waiting to be released into your bloodstream and if you are low carbing then spuds are not on the menu.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you got a home meter? If so, test before you eat potatoes, then 2 hours afterwards. Then make up your own mind whether you can eat them, not eat them, or eat small portions of them. We are all different. Personally, I can eat 2 small new spuds, or 2 medium roast spuds, or 6 chips. Any more and my BS goes up and up.

shedges

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Chips!... really slow glucose release for me.... have to do a dual wave bolus (Veo pump). High carb, but don't send me sky high either

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
New potatoes are slightly lower in carbohydrate. Waxy ones tend to be lower GI.
Jacket potatoes can be higher GI (though people often put fat on them which lowers GI. They are though usually quite large.
(Just put 150 g of small new potatoes on the scale and then weigh a typical sized jacket potato. I think you will be quite shocked at the comparison)

Reactions: 2 people