Low carb percentages?

VioletViolet

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello

I just wondered whether there's a handy way of getting an idea of what constitutes low carb for ready made foods. I don't eat many ready meals but occasionally get things like a beetroot side salad and though there's sugar in the ingredients like most rubbishy instant food I wondered how to calculate what's too much.

In the olden days when they thought low fat was healthy I used to eat anything with that was less than 5% fat. Is there anything similar and simple to use for carbs? I've got a carb counter but am bedazzled by it - net carbs etc

Thank you !

PhilT

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
Anything over 5 grams of carbohydrate per 100 grams of food has me checking the ingredients for added sugar and starch.

Reactions: 2 people

VioletViolet

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
5% must be the magic number for everything !

Thank you - am not diabetic but have had a few scares. Plus I'm reading wheat belly which has frightening the life out of me!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The problem with looking at the carb % in a food is that portion sizes vary so much.

I mean, lots of jams and jellies are very high carb, but you only eat a teasp or so.
Whereas, mashed potato comes by the bucketload. Or is that wishful thinking?

Anyway, I prefer to work on grammes of carb per portion.

Hope that helps.

VioletViolet

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hmmm good point, thanks, I hadn't really thought of that. I have a problem with portions anyway cos I am porky pig :(

Think I need a full dietary reeducation as anything I thought I knew seems to be bunkum....

Reactions: 2 people