MyFitnessPal

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
is in Cups.... is there anyway of using metric?
I'm not sure I can convert everything to cups....
Many thanks
Hj

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Scroll down the list of foods, you will find some in metric. There is no sure fire easy way of converting cups to grams as it depends on what the food is.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Anyone got any words of wisdom about the % intakes?

I want to set my carb goal as around 7%, but it will only let me choose 5 or 10%.
Any way round it?

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
is there anyway of changing the Carb target in MyFitnessPal, 155g seems quite high for me.

PhilT

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
So... how do people decide what is best for themselves... a pretty open question but I would be interested to know. Cheers
Hj

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So... how do people decide what is best for themselves... a pretty open question but I would be interested to know. Cheers
Hj

I have been eating low carb for a while, so I roughly know what I can eat and feel ok.

So I downloaded fitness pal and entered my foods for a few days, and watched the resulting percentages.

It didn't take long before I could see that I do best under 50g carbs. So I aim for 40g ish, but don't worrit if I go over. I count 70g+ as a 'bad day' and 100g plus as 'very bad'. And 20-40g as 'good'. But that is nonsense, of course. I'm still ok on all those. It is just that my BG levels are higher than target, and the carb cravings creep in on a sliding scale.

And we should all set our targets to suit out own bodies, rather than some silly low carb ideal as a status symbol. ;)

There is also a good calculator on bloodsugar.com (see link in my signature). It's in the 'food' section of the site. You enter your height, weight, sex and age, activity level, suggested carb total, and it works out some guideline protein and fat quantities. I've found it a great learning curve.

Of course, I'm looking at this from a middle aged, female, kinda sedentary, low carb point of view. Sports enthusiasts, low fat, high fibre, pregnant women, people with kidney problems, etc. are all going to have different criteria.

Reactions: 2 people

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been eating low carb for a while, so I roughly know what I can eat and feel ok.

Brunneria, many thanks for this.

I've reduced my carbs substantially but not really sure to what yet. My BG seem to be okay, rarely above 7.3. In the last fortnight not lost any weight, I was getting a bit worried that it was going down too quickly. I think I need to have some targets to keep the focus as till now it has been not that structured.

I'll check out your links.

Hj

Reactions: 2 people