Losing weight with type 1

stinky25

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hi,

just recently had my first appointment with my dietician, for no other reason than it was offered and as I was only diagnosed late april I don't want to shut the door on anything!!. My bloods are generally good, I have adopted a low carb approach, I have a small bowl of porridge in the morning and a slice of bread with dinner in the evening, that's pretty much it, still managed to put on around 10lbs since diagnosis!! I was told a lot of this was because I was seriously dehydrated when I was diagnosed and a lot of the weight going back on is related to this, was also told that insulin is anabolic and holds onto fats etc....spoke to the dietician and she wasn't very happy with the low carb approach, suggesting this will send my body into ketosis...burning up my fat reserves if it doesn't have any carbs to use for energy.....cant see this as I seem to put weight on, ketosis is normally associated with weight loss I believe!!

will continue with my low carb approach, gets decent results, and my energy levels are pretty stable now...plus...its a lot easier than having to carb count everything!! :)