I Hate the whole Introduce yourself malarky!

Omnipod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This site seems to becoming a bit like what you see in the movies when people have a drink problem and then attend an AA meeting where you stand up in a circle and introduce yourself and admit that you have a drink problem.
WHY do we need this and why are the operators encouraging this?
Before, youd see postings about diabetes, problems people face and solutions. Nowdays it seems to have watered down by introducing yourself, word games, kitchens for sale etc.
I hardly log into this site anymore for these specific reasons.

Reactions: 14 people

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
The kitchen sales are removed as soon as poss and the other stuff is driven by members. As for the introduce yourself thing, that's optional, just ignore it if you like :)
If I done everything the internet proposed I should do, I wouldn't have time for anything else.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 4 people

Omnipod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I do ignore them but everytime i log in, I see 'My name is Doreen and I am a type 1.........'
Feels like im at AA and like I need to accept my diabetes in order to go into recovery mode....

Reactions: 6 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I do ignore them but everytime i log in, I see 'My name is Doreen and I am a type 1.........'
Feels like im at AA and like I need to accept my diabetes in order to go into recovery mode....

It just gets rid of the message that pops up if your never introduced yourself, this has only come about in the last few weeks....hence all the introductions. No one has to give their life story away and can just say "Hi" in their introduction.

Just don't read them if they annoy you, I'm sure we all have threads that we don't read as the subject doesn't interest us or we are unable to help/offer advice.

JacHibbert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Get over yourself You don't have to take part. The whole point of this is to bring people together, share ideas, questions. You do have to accept that you have diabetes - it doesn't define you, it's just a part of what you are. The size of that it up to you.

Reactions: 5 people

poshtotty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Get over yourself You don't have to take part. The whole point of this is to bring people together, share ideas, questions. You do have to accept that you have diabetes - it doesn't define you, it's just a part of what you are. The size of that it up to you.

A tad harsh @Jac Hibbert . I remember @Omnipod was a regular and supportive poster when I joined this forum in March. He's already given his reasons for disappearing, and in my opinion they are valid.

Some of us have busy lives and come on here for information for our conditions. I for one don't have time to read the Jokes thread for example, or any of the trivia. There are other sites for that, but I come here to look for specific answers to genuine concerns and to find or give support. If threads naturally become light-hearted or flippant, that's a different matter, but I agree with @Omnipod . This site is becoming watered down and losing relevance which is a great shame

Reactions: 8 people

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Strangely I find myself agreeing with @noblehead and @Jac Hibbert sometimes its easier to break the ice and helpful in accepting your diagnosis if its there in black and white, besides it gives a starting point to whatever you have to say, acceptance is half the battle learning to cope the other. just consider those who have no family or friends to turn to for comfort and support. we become their support system, and I would rather be aware of their age so I can tailor my reply without condescension, addressing a 12yr old is totally different to an older person.

poshtotty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Strangely I find myself agreeing with @noblehead and @Jac Hibbert sometimes its easier to break the ice and helpful in accepting your diagnosis if its there in black and white, besides it gives a starting point to whatever you have to say, acceptance is half the battle learning to cope the other. just consider those who have no family or friends to turn to for comfort and support. we become their support system, and I would rather be aware of their age so I can tailor my reply without condescension, addressing a 12yr old is totally different to an older person.

Fair point @satindoll but our personal details, including ages, are already there is black in white in each of our profiles. On the Homepage of this site it says its a community for information about diabetes.

Surely, the fact that we have gone through the process of joining as members indicates that we have accepted our condition, or that of someone we care about?

I cannot see the relevance of listing what music we like, or countries we've visited . As for asking if we are wealthy or not....How ridiculous is that question in a community of strangers?

Reactions: 7 people

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I ignore it but Ive been here 2 and a half years and I'm sick of seeing it.

Reactions: 8 people

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
I think it is the My_Facebook_Twitter mentality of some members here they seem to forget that it is a support forum and not a social media site.

Along with the "like" button to show your allegiance with a particular cause, or of course diet!

IMHO the forum has gone from a broadsheet to a comic in the last few years. It is now all about selling products to its membership base, hence the total lack of moderation nowadays, you cant chastise or ban people or you upset the sales figures.

Reactions: 2 people

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I personally don't find it difficult to navigate to the useful diabetic topics when I need them..........

the forum is divided up into the relevant sections......

do others find it difficult........?

anteater2012

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
People who don't listen to others i.e. the 8 members of this forum I have put on ignore as they talk such utter **** all the time. This now includes the member who thinks they are a moderator.
I'm with @Omnipod, @dianagrace and @dawnmc. This site is fast becoming a poor resource unless you to play word games, waste time responding to trolls and one hit wonders who post such spurious claims and posts. I have never come across a forum where I have had to put so many members on ignore. I also belong to a forum that often has over 5000 active users at any one time and I have not had to put any users on ignore there.

forge

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Getting old and everything that goes with it. All the repeats on TV. The drongos who ring me up to sell me things. Religious havens for pedophiles and war-mongers.
All the worried and apprehensive people need some respite.

So a mix of social chit chat and a bit of fun with the serious stuff, does not sound so bad to me. In fact, it sounds like a good plan if it is of course, optional.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
All the good forums I use are the same and have these off topic threads and the games too..........

I didn't even know you could "ignore" someone, why would you need to do this........

if things like this are annoying you are clearly spending too much time here........

;)

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
I just use the 'recent posts' option to browse the forum and pick the threads that interest me. I don't see the need to put people on 'ignore' status, you never know when they might post something of relevance. Most forums have an informal chat/games section, you can choose to read them or not - personally I see it as part of the mutual support role of the forum, even if it's not directly diabetes related.

As a relative newcomer I don't know what the forum was like before, but another forum I moderate on has gone exactly the same way as it has grown from a few hundred to 20000 odd members. It's a function of success I suppose.

I have noticed an increasing number of new T2 members lately - that must be a function of the growth in diagnoses and the media attention to the condition. The majority arrive a bit traumatised and confused, as most of us once did, and do need to be 'welcomed'. For them the introduction bit might be an easy way in if they are not familiar with internet forums. The problems have arisen due to some retrospective 'requirement' to do so placed on established members which I think was a mistake.

Adelle0607

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I just use the 'recent posts' option to browse the forum and pick the threads that interest me. I don't see the need to put people on 'ignore' status, you never know when they might post something of relevance. Most forums have an informal chat/games section, you can choose to read them or not - personally I see it as part of the mutual support role of the forum, even if it's not directly diabetes related.

As a relative newcomer I don't know what the forum was like before, but another forum I moderate on has gone exactly the same way as it has grown from a few hundred to 20000 odd members. It's a function of success I suppose.

I have noticed an increasing number of new T2 members lately - that must be a function of the growth in diagnoses and the media attention to the condition. The majority arrive a bit traumatised and confused, as most of us once did, and do need to be 'welcomed'. For them the introduction bit might be an easy way in if they are not familiar with internet forums. The problems have arisen due to some retrospective 'requirement' to do so placed on established members which I think was a mistake.
I think with the advent of twitter instagram and facebook people are more out on the open. I share photos on my instagram and twitter and info and don't mind it/intros at all (I did mine the other week)...sometimes I participate on the games when I happen to browse because it's entertaining and can easily switch from there to a diabetic thread in 20 seconds..... But I do agree with sanguine the intro shouldn't be a
prerequisite...

Adelle0607

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@satindoll facebook/twitter and instagram a lot of people communicate with it nowadays even for business it's good for promoting/creating leads and for personal: sharing photos of a party/social event not necessarily that this is their only form of communication w the outside world...:)

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
@satindoll facebook/twitter and instagram a lot of people communicate with it nowadays even for business it's good for promoting/creating leads and for personal: sharing photos of a party/social event not necessarily that this is their only form of communication w the outside world...:)

Yes I know this but I was just pointing out that for some like my wonderful son-in-law who is going through a bad time at the moment, his depression meds having been changed due to cost, he can't even face going out the front door so for him facebook is his only link to friends and family and it keeps him safe.
BTW my son says this site is worse than facebook but with info included, think he's grumpy cose I forgot to put sugar on the shopping list te he

Adelle0607

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes I know this but I was just pointing out that for some like my wonderful son-in-law who is going through a bad time at the moment, his depression meds having been changed due to cost, he can't even face going out the front door so for him facebook is his only link to friends and family and it keeps him safe.
BTW my son says this site is worse than facebook but with info included, think he's grumpy cose I forgot to put sugar on the shopping list te he
@satindoll, sorry to hear about your son in laws treatment... but good that he's using facebook to keep in touch with friends :) and it's cheaper too because of the messaging just like what's app--no need to spend for a text message...That's right @satindoll no sugar makes one grumpy lol xx (remembering my carb flu phase)