C1a1r319

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
ketoacidosis
Hello people
I went to see my nurse today for some help with persistent high bg and sorting that out. I did ask if I could get funding for a CGM, which would be great as I do have extreme difficulty with control all my life.
That aside, she kept saying that this diet is bad for me and as a whole we should eat a balanced diet with carbs etc (which I did and didn't lose anything). I just stared at her and didn't make any comment on it as I didn't want to get into an argument over which is superior as that isn't an exact science.
She said that I will have bad cholesterol results and other stuff.

I just wondered if anyone can reassure me with blood results over the short and long term. Not just HbA1c's, like cholesterol, trig, etc. Full thing.

I don't want to end up worse off. I have read that its amazing at lowering these contrary to belief, but you cant believe everything you read. I wondered if anyone has some solid evidence for me.
Thanks in advanced.

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello C. Im in the same boat as you so I hope you get some replies:)

mpe

Hello people
I went to see my nurse today for some help with persistent high bg and sorting that out. I did ask if I could get funding for a CGM, which would be great as I do have extreme difficulty with control all my life.
That aside, she kept saying that this diet is bad for me

What are you eating.

and as a whole we should eat a balanced diet with carbs etc (which I did and didn't lose anything). I just stared at her and didn't make any comment on it as I didn't want to get into an argument over which is superior as that isn't an exact science.

The so called "balanced diet" uses a rather odd definition of "balanced", since it often works out to be 60-70% glucose.
Whilst you probably could eat such a diet the issue of if you should is up to you. Though that would probably require "carb counting" of what you eat, frequent monitoring of blood glucose and adjustment of insulin dosage.

She said that I will have bad cholesterol results and other stuff.

I know some MP was suggesting astrology on the NHS, but I wasn't aware they were already employing "seers". You should have asked her for next week's lottery numbers :)

I just wondered if anyone can reassure me with blood results over the short and long term. Not just HbA1c's, like cholesterol, trig, etc. Full thing.

You'd need to post the results. Be aware that whilst a lot of fuss is made about LDL-C it often isn't measured. (What does appear to be important, LDL-P, probably won't be there at all.) Also the numbers used by the NHS appear to have been highly influenced by the drug companies...

Reactions: 5 people

C1a1r319

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
ketoacidosis
Ratios are 5% carbs 25% protein 70% fat
1250-1400kcal a day.she didn't like the amount of fat

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
You do get worried when an 'expert' questions what you are doing. But I'm **** sure that these 'experts' would soon change what they ate if they caught diabetes. Dont worry about the fat, what are your readings? My cholesterol has gone down since low carbing.
I'm a fan of 'one born every minute' and what those nurses eat is disgusting. Cakes and pastries etc. I could never eat all that even in my non-diabetic days.

Reactions: 2 people

C1a1r319

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
ketoacidosis
My blood glucose have been lower today. In range, but I still have to take insulin with my food because the protein seems to spike me. I hope that will change with time and I won't have to eventually. I have just had a hypo after a walk which has annoyed me because it gets so complicated when you have to keep adjusting. I thought low carbing I wouldn't have to take any bolus for food,but I have had to take 3 units at most meals ... Will see how things go

Amethyst579

Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Is there any evidence that LCHF causes high cholesterol?