I feel left out when I am out with friends

A

Anonymous

When I was younger I never use to be at home I was always out with friends but as I have got older I stopped going out and I lost my confidence. I have been diabetec since I was 5 and I am 18 now. When I was younger it never botherd me being out because I was not on lots of insulin so I never really injected when I was out. Now I am older I inject Humalog with every meal and Lantus before bed but I just hate being out because I feel left out when I am with friends because I have to go and inject if I eat.

KimSuzanne

Hi Jodie
Read your post and it sounded so familiar I'm 25 been diagnosed with type 1 since was 7 years old and been doing 4 injections a day since I was 11, got bullied in primary school and was called a junkie all the way through high school. Do your friends accept the fact your diabetic? coz if they do its probably something they don't even notice. These days I go into restaurants with my friends and I've learnt how to inject in my stomach under the table whilst still keeping a conversation going and no - one even notices. The only thing I hate is going into clubs coz I take my Lantus at 8pm so it comes with me, door staff still look at me funny when they pull out the pen.
It gets easier trust me, now I don't even think about it and neither do my friends they accept it as me. I understand how hard it can be to want to feel normal and to feel totally the opposite. If you ever need to talk I've been there myself!
Kim
Type 1 since 1990
Lantus and Novarapid

DoobyBro76

I totally know where you are coming from. Its only in the last five years or so that I have become totally at ease with my diabetes. I am now 31 years old and was diagnoised aged nearly three in 1979. I always felt uncomfortable in social situation from the age of 15. Lucky for me I had and still have some good freinds who made little or no fuss about the big D. Man, they saved my life on several occasions.
I always found I could inject without anyone really noticing and if anyone did tried to bring a bit of humour to the situation. But it can take a lot of confidence.
Maybe you can find a way to make yourself feel more at ease in these situation. I always find people are more interested than anything else. But can be a bit of a downer if not in the mood to explain the whole picture.
I dont go and inject. I test and inject where ever I am. And still no-one really notices.
You have to do this s**t to survive. Someones reaction to your/our injections is just a pointless thourght which mean absolutely nothing in the whole big picture.
I found I gained more respect from my freinds by just getting on with it rather than trying to hide the fact that I'm diabetic.

ash

If they are true friends, they will accept you for what you are, and you will deal with it as and when you need to. If they aren't, find some proper friends who can be a bit mature about it.

whitemare

Type of diabetes
LADA
Hi, Jodie,

Before I was diagnosed diabetic |I had a friend (and still have) who is aT1 diabetic. We frequently go out for meals together with other friends, and none of us takes any notice whatsoever when he goes out before the first course to inject. He's just Steve. The occasional comment of 'Shot up yet' gets thrown around, he'll smile, like he does.

Real friends don't mind. I just wish he had nicer legs..............

Perhaps you need a better class of friends. Or educate the ones you have. Get out there girl. Life is for living. :wink:

ThinType2

Hi

I have been diabetic for a year and used to go to the loo everytime I had to inject, after a while I thought 'can't be bothered with that' so just do it there at the table.

If anyones notices at all I find most people are typically British and try their best to avert their eyes , I find it quite funny when you can see them trying to look out of the corner of their eyes being nosey!!!

At the end of the day you have nothing to be ashamed of, good friends should not be bothered.......if they are get rid of them!

Juliet

eddiemac

Get out there girl and as a famous sportswear companty says "Just Do It". I used to be really bothered about it but at the end of the day its my life on the line!!

Had a funny explerience in Spain. Was sat in a restaurant, 4 of us at a table. Big family on table next to us. Jabbed myself and a girl of about 13 on the table saw me do it and fainted. Big comotion in the restaurant and dirty looks from the family! I just sat there, smiled and ate my dinner! Teach her to be nosey!

LesleyB

I refuse to hide away too, from day one of being diabetic I injected in front of people. I inject at my desk at work, I inject at restaurants and I test my BS whilst having conversations with people.

I do however get sick of explaining myself to everyone because people want to talk about it, I am a little bit sick of talking about it and just want to get on with it.

Just do what you are comfortable with, go to the bathroom to inject if you are not comfortable doing it in front of people. No one has to know you are diabetic if you are discreet.