NHS Doctors Rant!!!

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
If everyone on this forum got together and made a list of everything physical (or mental) they have ever been concerned about, removed all the duplicates and further thinned the list down to only those things we sought medical advice on, I doubt there is any one single Doctor in existence who could diagnose everything. To train someone to do that would take more years than possible.

They are General Practitioners and like a plumber they need to go through a process to diagnose the problem. Even plumbers will, on occasions, scratch their **** and say "I have no idea what's wrong" and just replace the area the problem is in. Through experience they learn and have a higher diagnosis rate but will never be able to catch everything.

As an example, last year my 15yr old, fit and healthy, daughter was rushed to hospital with what, the paramedics were convinced, was a stroke. After all the scans and tests the consultant could not say that it was a stroke. She could not say for certain what it was and why it happened. It was referred to one of the best neuro's in the country and, again, no diagnosis.

Before dismissing GP's as a joke when they are uncertain remember that they, on a daily basis, catch things that save lives or prevent suffering and like the rest of us are human.
Granted, but it would be nice if they could triage us to those who CAN help!

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Met plenty of the muppets, met a few of the good guys thankfully, now I just imagine the muppets in their Mr Magoo underpants and have been known to end up sniggering so much they got snotty so of course the snottier they got the more I sniggered, in the end after I left the consulting room the nurse asked what was going on when I told her she fell about laughing saying it had made her day, don't think she has ever been able to see him in the same light since, job done and I felt better.

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
If everyone on this forum got together and made a list of everything physical (or mental) they have ever been concerned about, removed all the duplicates and further thinned the list down to only those things we sought medical advice on, I doubt there is any one single Doctor in existence who could diagnose everything. To train someone to do that would take more years than possible.

They are General Practitioners and like a plumber they need to go through a process to diagnose the problem. Even plumbers will, on occasions, scratch their **** and say "I have no idea what's wrong" and just replace the area the problem is in. Through experience they learn and have a higher diagnosis rate but will never be able to catch everything.

As an example, last year my 15yr old, fit and healthy, daughter was rushed to hospital with what, the paramedics were convinced, was a stroke. After all the scans and tests the consultant could not say that it was a stroke. She could not say for certain what it was and why it happened. It was referred to one of the best neuro's in the country and, again, no diagnosis.

Before dismissing GP's as a joke when they are uncertain remember that they, on a daily basis, catch things that save lives or prevent suffering and like the rest of us are human.
I have no problem with someone admitting that they don't know but it's when they try and cover it up or are dismissive about the issue. This ha happened to me people can't hypo on metformin - yes they bloody well can if the dose age they're on is too high 3.4 first time and 2.6 second even after reduction of metformin and god knows what would have happened if I hadn't purchased my own meter and gone to bed - diabetic coma?!) a friend of ours was summarily dismissed no your child can't be diabetic it's rare. But there is t1 in my immediate family. Go home and give him some calpol. She took him up A&E who admitted him instantly - bs 89!!!!!!! And said if she'd left it any later he would have died. He was then 8 years old.

Reactions: 2 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
What you read on this forum is the continuous repetively rote information that is given for all diabetics from the majority of surgeries! That is what is frustrating! 'Why don't you go on a low carb diet full of whole meal bread and potatoes oh you can have pasta but don't forget to have at least of each fruit and veg!'

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
How about the eat loads of fat and drop the carbs rote, if I did that I would be sitting in the loo permanently with a bleeding bum, its a case of to each their own diet, yes a reduction in carbs is a given but for those who's body cannot take the high fat bit its poison

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
I can't stand these kinds of doctors and have told them so before now.
I go on the defensive straight off if the guy I'm seeing is wearing a bow tie ... I mean come on seriously!

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I can't stand these kinds of doctors and have told them so before now.
I go on the defensive straight off if the guy I'm seeing is wearing a bow tie ... I mean come on seriously!

Better a bow tie than his rotten tie ordinair slapping you in the face especially if its smelly and covered with his egg and bacon breakfast I mean come on seriously

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
How about the eat loads of fat and drop the carbs rote, if I did that I would be sitting in the loo permanently with a bleeding bum, its a case of to each their own diet, yes a reduction in carbs is a given but for those who's body cannot take the high fat bit its poison
Of course that is dependable on the individual. The advice most would give on this site is eat to your meter! There is no strict dietary advice. Only what brings your BSLs down to controllable levels. What works for one probably won't work for me.
The thread is about the rote of the medical industry giving advice on a so called 'healthy diet' when for most (not all) obese and diabetics it just doesn't work! Hence all the threads on this site about how low carb has worked for them.

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes and I still maintain there mare many on here who in the second line after hi so and so the cut the carbs and go high fat is spouted regardless.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
You do see it occasionally, that's what has worked for them. You have free choice. No one is forcing it on you. The beauty of this site that the information by experience is given freely and is trying to help you. It is not an absolute affirmation of any treatment. The thing that helped me was testing and experimenting, and then research on what could really work for me. I pass on that information because my consultant was where I got the affirmation that low carb would be very good for my condition. But I always say that it is not right for everyone as the general co census is that everybody's diabetes and subsequent problems are different to every other diabetic.
Only the guidelines from the medical industry all sing from the same hymn sheet. And from this site. It's rubbish and doesn't help. That's my opinion!

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes and I still maintain there mare many on here who in the second line after hi so and so the cut the carbs and go high fat is spouted regardless.
Hi Satindoll. The problem on the forum in recent months is the frequent quote of a 'LCHF' diet approach which is not helpful to those who don't understand where it came from. What the posters normally mean by LCHF is definitely Low-Carb but not necessarily High Fat. It's a term I never use because it implies stuffing yourself with fat which may not be very sensible. So, I take you point and would encourage more use of the term low-carb rather than LCHF unless the poster really means it. Much better to increase both fat and protein to a level needed to maintain calorie input.

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
@Daibell Maybe we could ask them to look at the quote and change it to LCLC instead.

Oh and Nosher8355 blocking me won't make me disappear or change my views.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
@Daibell Maybe we could ask them to look at the quote and change it to LCLC instead.

Oh and Nosher8355 blocking me won't make me disappear or change my views.
I've done nothing of the sort. I wouldn't dream of it I entered into a discussion freely and it is my opinion.
I'd rather not change your mind and debate the issue. Free will free choice free opinions. Sorry if I came across like that!

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I've done nothing of the sort. I wouldn't dream of it I entered into a discussion freely and it is my opinion.
I'd rather not change your mind and debate the issue. Free will free choice free opinions. Sorry if I came across like that!

Good oh I love an animated discussion

mpe

When I told him I couldn't eat cereal for breakfast because it sent my BG into double figures, he said, it can't do that, and when I told him that I've tried it several times and tested afterwards with my meter, he told me point blank that it wasn't possible and that cereal is GOOD for diabetes, seriously??!!

It can have a similar effect on, regular, T2s. The more worrying bit is does he take beliefs over hard data in his speciality too.

He then said, of course if you're eating sugar puffs for breakfast then it will raise your BG. I'M A DIABETIC, WHY WOULD I EVEN CONTEMPLATE EATING SUGAR PUFFS???!!

An apparent oddity is that cereals with added sugar often turn out to have GI's lower than those without. Until you count actual sugar molecules.

I despair of our health system sometimes, I really do think I'm much better educated about health issues than many off our so called health professionals, their knowledge seems scarily dated, it's worrying, and I always end up so upset after these bloody appointments.

I'm not sure that "dated" is the correct term. Some of the ideas from the 19th and early 20th century appear to be more correct than some from the late 20th century. Having better "tools" dosn't always guarentee better results.

mpe

I believe the problem with a many so called experts in many different fields is that they have an exaggerated idea of their own cleverness and importance but are also basically insecure so they have to "show off" their apparent knowledge and skill. Those who are truly knowledgeable don't need to put on this act - they can often be quite humble in fact - and are willing to be educated further when required...

Hopefully they can also be honest about what they don't know too :)

mpe

Hi Satindoll. The problem on the forum in recent months is the frequent quote of a 'LCHF' diet approach which is not helpful to those who don't understand where it came from. What the posters normally mean by LCHF is definitely Low-Carb but not necessarily High Fat. It's a term I never use because it implies stuffing yourself with fat which may not be very sensible. So, I take you point and would encourage more use of the term low-carb rather than LCHF unless the poster really means it. Much better to increase both fat and protein to a level needed to maintain calorie input.

It's probably the percentage of "calories" idea which causes the confusion here. Since this can score moderate amounts of fat "high" and large amounts of sugars "low".
The human body cannot possibly count "calories" in the first place either. People have been trying to make the "Calories In, Calories Out" idea work ever since it was invented. Since human bodies arn't steam engines this is rather futile.

Adele99

Some consultants are really arrogant with their patients and treat them like village idiots sometimes. Which can be abit annoying. They can also contradict themselves on things they say themselves at different times.

But it is what is, I've seen a consultant privately at a cost of £200 and he was the most arrogant of them all. Having said that he was also very thorough. But the first thing he said to both my husband and I when we first sat down was ' I ask the questions here , you just answer the questions'. Lol.

Reactions: 5 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I've had some less helpful doctors. However, when I jusge my own actions involved I wasn't the perfect patient either....

Its the same when I go to gp's and give out surveys and newsletters, I see people turn up a day late and accuse the receptionists of not telling them the correct day, and the patient gets arsey!

People going in and demanding appts on that day and then giving our Practice a horrendous review when they couldn't get an appointment.

We are all different from each other, yes do gps and consultants can be less yhan helpful but so too can patients.

We have a patient that deliberately books an unecessary appt every week. Why? Gp's have brought inthat theygive the patient a note to give to receptionist if you need another appt now. Just to try and stop this obsessive patient literally booking unecessary appts on her wayout!

I do think back over the last 50 years.. Have I been the model patient? No.

Have I gone in with more than one item to discuss in 10 minute allocated nhs time? Yes.
And I ambery aware that patients in all practices waste appts and don't turnup.

Nobody in this world is perfect.

Loving life