Oh dear

Clarence

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
TV
Slept very well,awoke at 4oclock did a test reading was 8'5 went back to sleep by 6 o'clock I was into a severe hypo,reading was 5'7 not a very nice time,when I was able I did a cross meter check with my second Meyer,there was a difference of 2'5between meters,so have taken to one meter only until I can check the second meter,sales of dolly mixtures have gone up again regards

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Meters have a tolerance of +/- 15% so there could be an absolute worst case difference of 30% between?

Crimsonclient

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
5.7 is not hypo at all.you have to be over 5 to drive so please tell us why you think this is a hypo as I would love to understand

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Crikey, is that the reason for non diabetics acting odd?? 5.7 isn't hypo, dam bear perfect if you ask me!!

Loving life

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's possible the OP means they tested at 4am at 8.5mmol, then woke at 6am with a hypo feeling & tested at 5.7mmol.

Yep 5.7 don't constitute as a hypo..
But if the the other meter had a discrepancy of 2.5 lower than the meter used for the two tests used on waking.?
Then it's reasonable to deduce the OP may have been 6.0 at 4am & on waking at 6am a count of 3.2mmol??

I'm thinking one meter is reading too high..? & it may have felt hypo to the OP...?

Having said all that. I have discovered the OP is T2...
But, believe it or not my T2 dad has read 3.4.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

julifriend

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
But, believe it or not my T2 dad has read 3.4.

As a T2 I've twice had a 3.3 and a 3.8 a couple of days ago. Both times I had the 3.3s I felt light headed so tested to see what was going on.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
I'm T2 and have hypos.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm not saying a T2 wouldn't.. In the case of my 85 year old dad he was pulled of the meds for running too low & still tested 3.4 an hour or so after breakfast.. I was called at work by a nurse with this reading. I called it a hypo give my dad some more food...
No dispute from me on that score..

Just reasoning the OP's hypo against the meter reading...

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As a T2 I've twice had a 3.3 and a 3.8 a couple of days ago. Both times I had the 3.3s I felt light headed so tested to see what was going on.
Hi,
Fully understood. With the case of my dad. He had dementia, so I could only speak for him, myself being the only other D in the family & familiar with hypos & the danger.

My initial comment was in empathy & support for the original poster, which I noticed when looking at the profile was T2. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Clarence

How are you doing now? Had any more problems?

You may know this already, but some? all? chemists will do a blood glucose test if you just drop in. You could compare it with your two meters. Might save you a trip to the doctors.

PaulinaB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As I understand non-diabetics can have bg as low as 3.5mmol and its perfectly fine. The limit is set at 4mmol/l for diabetics to give enough "buffer" and help them not to get too low.

Reactions: 6 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Clarence .

It looks from your post that you blood glucose meter is reading too high & not giving you an accurate measurement regarding your actual level?

I've had a dig about on your other posts & discovered you treat you type 2 with Novorapid & levemir..

On this basis it's safe to assume you could get new a meter from either you diabetes nurse or the company that supplied your current meters free of charge?
I trust you know your self & the hypo you experienced was indeed a low.. I believe from your initial post that at least one of your meters (possibly the main one you use the most?) is reading too high. Thus inaccurate..

As an insulin dependant type1 myself I had a similar issue with a meter a while back, feeling hypo but testing safe.
A visit to my nurse confirmed this.. Most meter companies can send a new one by courier free of charge for the following day!

Hope this helps.

Good luck!