Almased Winner

Malcolm1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi
Just received this mail from the site
“Hi,
I'm pleased to tell you that you are a lucky winner in our 14 day bundle of Almased competition - congratulations! Your Almased bundle will be on its way to you soon to the address you gave us when entering the competition.
Please let me know if you have any questions”
Anyone used this, what are your opinions does it work, will it fit in with LCHF
Malcolm

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Congratulations on your win :)
I had to google Almased, which shows I know nowt about it, so can't answer your question sorry. I just wanted to say the above :)

Signy

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I got a tub of Almased way back around Xmas, and liked it enough to buy another when I finished it.

It was for me to replace the odd meal, and have an occasional late night drink that would stop me going to bed hungry. It served both purposes perfectly.

The flavour was a green, legumy sort of flavour, slightly sweet. I mixed it with half milk, half water, then added a dash of cream when I moved lower carb.

A couple of times I put cocoa in it, or blitzed it up with an apple and a courgette for a green smoothie.

It was filling.

My blood glucose usually went up by 1.5 (e.g. From 5.5 up to 7.0 an hour after drinking) which I considered excellent, and considered that was probably more the milk than the Almased.

I would have bought it again except for one thing - I started developing a kind of woolyheadedness after drinking. It wasn't high BG brain-fog, and eventually I worked out that it was a reaction to the soya, which I always found very difficult to tolerate back in my veggie days.

Would I recommend it?
Yes and no.
Setting aside my soya intolerance, it would make an excellent Newcastle Diet style drink.
But it is expensive. The cheapest I found was on eBay, imported directly from Germany, 3 tubs at a time, which is a serious commitment.

Reactions: 2 people

Malcolm1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the info @Brunneria I received mine this morning so will start to try it on Monday see what it’s like, I’ve started on the LCHF already so as you say I was thinking of using it just as an odd meal replacement at a breakfast time for the days when am at the study centre I go to for my Uni course once or twice a week rather than do the whole diet thing with it though at 15.3 carbs per 50gr of it of which 15.27 are sugar according to the side of the tin not very low carb but we will see how it goes