Refused eye test at opticians

JurassicMark

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Was referred to the hospital about 2 tears ago due to spots seen during an eye exam (background retinopathy, I believe). Have since had three appointments, but it has not deteriorated.

Booked an appointment at Boots Opticians to get an up to date prescription, as a pair of my glasses had broke. On arrival, an assistant asked me some eye related questions and I told them that I had been to hospital, as described above. She then went away to speak to someone and on returning said that they could not give me an eye test due to me being seen at hospital. I was shocked and couldn't believe what she was saying. Tried to explain that I just wanted eye test to get an up to date prescription, but she said I need to take this up with the hospital.

Has anyone else has this problem?

This is my first post, so I'm sorry if this has been discussed before. Did a quick search but could not find anything.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Years ago, I had a Boots appointment, during which the optometrist spotted my bacground retinopahy, which I'd told her I had. They then referred me to the hospital, which messed up the appointment I already had there.
My suggestion is try another optometrist. Tesco and Specsavers have both been excellent for me in the past.
Hana

scoyyt57

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Always use Specsavers never had any problems. I do have very slight background retinopathy in left eye but this has stayed the same last 2 eye checks.

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
i would try another optician, though i wasn,t keen on specsavers

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't understand what your Boots were doing. I have my check-ups at Boots as well as my annual retinopathy at the hospital. Boots have never queried it. I would find another optician or branch of Boots

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A branch of Boots Opticians keep writing to advise me that my eyesight test is overdue. I am rather surprised because I have never ever had an eyesight test with a Boots Optician.

Reactions: 3 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Would Dolland & Aitchison make any sense @Ambersilva ? They are part of the Boots family, and in the process of rebranding, if I recall correctly.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I have a list of opticians that will carry out my annual eye tests. Part of the test is the scan for retinopathy, with an online upload to the hospital. So if they can't do that, it’s wise they told you. Your GP should refer you, and your hospital should then provide a list of local opticians. The eye test is free, and you're not obliged to buy glasses from them, I use the internet to buy mine. But I get the letter saying my eyes are still ok.
Boots are being 100% responsible here.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Never had this happen and I had diabetic retinopathy and was being treated at the Ophthalmology clinic, I would just go to Specsavers as that is where I get my glasses from for driving, they will ask you the same questions but shouldn't refuse you an eye examination.

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I ws advised by the hospital that opticians do the free eye test if you are diabetic. Specsavers did mine and they were great.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I had my first retinal screening at the local community hospital a couple of months ago. (all clear) and have since been to a local optician for an ordinary eye sight test for new specs. No problems, and I wasn't even asked if I had been for any retinal screening. I did mention it though, and there was no comment.

C

catherinecherub

Was referred to the hospital about 2 tears ago due to spots seen during an eye exam (background retinopathy, I believe). Have since had three appointments, but it has not deteriorated.

Booked an appointment at Boots Opticians to get an up to date prescription, as a pair of my glasses had broke. On arrival, an assistant asked me some eye related questions and I told them that I had been to hospital, as described above. She then went away to speak to someone and on returning said that they could not give me an eye test due to me being seen at hospital. I was shocked and couldn't believe what she was saying. Tried to explain that I just wanted eye test to get an up to date prescription, but she said I need to take this up with the hospital.

Has anyone else has this problem?

This is my first post, so I'm sorry if this has been discussed before. Did a quick search but could not find anything.

It may be that when the word Hospital was mentioned they jumped to the conclusion that you were having continued care at the Hospital?
and therefore felt that their involvement was unnecessary?