Insulin and Weight Gain

CliveGurman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I recall reading recently that there may be a link between some forms of insulin and weight gain. I have been diabetic for 18 years and up to about 6 months ago my levels were controlled by medication. My doctor was concerned that one of the drugs (metformin) was affecting my kidneys to the extent that I should change to insulin. Whilst my sugar levels are now well under control, I find that gradually my weight is increasing. I have put on around 1.5 kg over the last 6 months, even though I keep a very strict control on what I eat. Has anyone else noticed a problem with weight gain when on insulin? What did you do about it?

Thanks

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been on insulin since day 1 and have always managed to keep my weight static, having said that I was under weight when I went onto insulin and was told to put on some (8st) so when I got to 10st I've just stayed there am told my weight is spot on, but that my ha1c was up a bit so have cut down on the carbs and hoping it comes down.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
insulin is the weight gain hormone, so you have to use it with care and minimise your use, by minimising your carbs. I'm married to a T1, who is at least 5 stones heavier than he was 40 years ago when diagnosed. Now he's cut his carbs, things are improving slowly.
Hana