Whey protein drinks?

JohnD54

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rice
Another probably silly question, recently diagnosed type 2. Initial test via doctors 9.5, now 6 weeks on average 6.5, lowest 4.8 fasting, highest 7.2 .

Basically following LCHF diet with a few tweaks picked up from this forum, already lost a stone in weight, and losing approx 2lbs per week, now thinking of trying a low sugar protein drink to replace breakfast and lunch? Your thoughts and suggestions welcomed.

Sorry to be a pain.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Why, rapid weight loss?
Av 2lb a week is quick enough. 1lb a week is fine

robertconroy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Whey shakes are usually very good and some have extra vitamins and minerals and fiber. If you are lactose intolerant maybe whey is not the best protein for you, but most people have no problem with it. Make sure the shake has a low glycemic load or you might be doing more harm than good. Your meter can tell you that pretty quick. I fancy the USANA shake, it comes in soy or whey protein. If I ever get really high blood sugars I go on these for 5 days and my blood sugar goes to non-diabetic levels, under 126 glucose. Lowering my insulin like this will result in about a pound a day weight loss.

Reactions: 2 people

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Apparently whey protein is insulinogenic in Type 2's and there has been research into using it prior to meals to assist in blood glucose control:

http://www.diabetologia-journal.org/ - "In The News" section. Study by Professor Daniela Jakubowicz and Dr Julio Wainstein (Wolfson Medical Center, Tel Aviv University), Professor Oren Froy (Hebrew University of Jerusalem), Professor Bo Ahrén (Lund University, Sweden) and colleagues (the study can be downloaded from the link).

I'd be making sure to get a good quality whey protein as there is a ton of cheap and nasty stuff out there.

JohnD54

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rice
Thanks for your replies folks, have started with the Whey as breakfast replacing the single slice of Burgen toast, will try this for a week and see what happens with BG & weight.

Will return next week with results good or bad.

Should also add will not be testing Friday or Saturday the eldest of my four daughters is getting married on Friday so I might go a little of track with alcohol.

JohnD54

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rice
Big mistake, should have thought better about commencing whey protein testing in the week upto my daughters. Last week was brilliant but diet and things went out the window, did random BG tests all came in under 7.2

But put on 2lbs in weight, back to it this morning. Report next Monday.

JohnD54

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rice
Ok 1 week replacing breakfast with Whey protein,
Weighing 1 week apart Sunday to Sunday.
Start 13st 9
Finish 13st 3
All meals LCHF as previous weeks,
Exercise as previous weeks.
So far so good.

JohnD54

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rice
Ok 2 weeks in replacing breakfast with Whey protein,
Start 13st 9
Finish week 1. 13st 3
Finish week 2. 12st 13
BG all in normal range

kareeta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Being so high I can barely open my eyes :(
Ok 2 weeks in replacing breakfast with Whey protein,
Start 13st 9
Finish week 1. 13st 3
Finish week 2. 12st 13
BG all in normal range

Hi , those results are amazing well done. May I ask what you use to make your shakes with? Milk or water?

Thanks
Karen

JohnD54

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rice
Kareeta, I use water and add 8/10 berries raspberry or blackberries, then mix with a hand held blender.Cannot say its delicious but certainly not revolting.

Reactions: Shas3

kareeta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Being so high I can barely open my eyes :(
Kareeta, I use water and add 8/10 berries raspberry or blackberries, then mix with a hand held blender.Cannot say its delicious but certainly not revolting.

Thanks for replying John.
I will give it a bash from tomorrow morning. If I find it intolerable with water I will alternate with skimmed milk :)

Karen

JohnD54

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rice
@kareeta
Not sure about the use of semi skimmed milk, when I checked recently, all semi / skimmed milk has a very high Carb/Sugar count. Personally I have gone onto Jersey Double Cream milk.

Now that is delicious

JohnD54

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rice
Ok 3 weeks in replacing breakfast with Whey protein,
Start 13st 9
Finish week 1. 13st 3
Finish week 2. 12st 13
Finish week 3. 12st 11
BG all in normal range.
Off on holidays end of this week, will report back in 2/3 weeks time. 1st holiday since diagnosis, eating could be interesting.

purplekat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, X Factor (and all similar shows), soaps (corrie, east enders etc), hot weather
that's really encouraging results. I'm seriously considering replacing some of my weekday breakfasts with a suitable drink, as I'm not motivated to make anything in the morning, and rarely have time either. A quick zap with a blender, than out the door with the 'meal' would suit me quite well. Not to mention the weight loss!