How many of us are following the low-carb diet?

topcatt53

I am - now down to between 40-60 grams a day and losing weight, and lots of the side effects of the medication has stopped and never feel hungry so easy to have much smaller portions.. :)

Mimi

I'm following low carb diet 50g-80g per day. Since I've been doing it it's the first time I have felt free of the tyrany of food and dieting! I guess that's because I was literally adicted to carbs. It's also the only way I've managed to keep the weight off.

It's amazing really.

Mimi.

HpprKM

Dislikes
Self absorbed and rude people! Motorists who are oblivious to the rest of the world, and really don't give a ****!
I am trying to, quite a newly diagnosed T2, so still getting to grips with it all! Started with cutting out sugar, now I seem to have that under control I am looking for further options to keep the beast at bay :evil: However, this low carb thing is not easy - when first diagnosed I received lots of information on how I should eat rice, pasta and porridge, now it seems that is partially wrong! Not sure where to go from there, I love pasta and rice and could handle that (if many other nice things not permitted), never loved potatoes all that much, but still need to eat something filling - any advice always welcome. Thks

Rod

Count me in. I don't actually count the carbs but I've cut out the bread, potatoes, parsnips, pastry and cut down on rice. Never liked pasta. Pleased with a much lower BG levels down from 7s to 4s and 5s. Weight now stable after a 10kg loss. Dr Clarke's book was a great find :D

EricD

Dislikes
Bullies and sockpuppets. Not being able to eat I want.
I'm not a low-carber either and also a balanced-dieter.

I eat everything that does not raise my BG but in small portions and make sure that I [almost] never overeat. Till now I have had no problems with rice, pasta, potatos or bread. :D

Chocs, sweets, cakes, sugar and anything that contains sugar is out. :cry:

Saw my GP yesterday and he has taken me off Metformin for a week to try and see if I can keep the BG within the levels he set for me.

sixfoot

Eric good for you, i have managed to ditch the GLIC but now that ive lost the weight the Metformin seems to be doing its job better. Anyway cant see myself going back any time soon

Dave P

carlos

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
people with no sense of humor and take life to serious
have gone low carb roughly about100 120 a day from around 350 to 400 and have seen a great reduction in my bs was on 3 meterformin sr and within six week have gone down to 2 hopefully this will continue

petes307

I'm on the low carb diet courtesy of Dr. Charles Clarkes book(s).

Amazon offer of all books as a bundle deal, so bought the lot..... little realising that I had the "Diabetes Revolution" book since last year (and never read it). So after the books arrived we had a read and decided to start last Sunday. I'm 3 months on insulin (Levemir) & since DEC 08 my FBGs have DOUBLED into the mid teens. Also now taking 26 units nightly. Not happy about that at all. Now the good news.........

THIS FIRST WEEK OF LOW CARB - FBGs dropped immediately to between 5 and 7, and early evening testing was below 5, so now very pleased indeed. The recipes we have tried have been pretty good IMHO. I have been feeling hungry during the day but have been taking a small tub of diced carrots to fix the craving. Add to that we have both lost weight, I'm down 3lbs and my wife is down 5lbs (she is not diabetic), and both feel better in general, so we're pretty well pleased with low carb lifestyle.

We're checking the carbs total for the meals and also other food. I'm going to try a bottle of Cobra Zero (beer :D ) which has NO ALCOHOL, NO SUGAR, and 6.5 carb, then check the BG later and again in the morning.

Best regards

Pete

JAD337

Hi Milly

Sorry for the delay in replying to your question, "What do I call a balanced diet?".
Well, a little bit of everything and nothing to excess I guess, although anything with an appreciable amount of sugar is out. I eat all sorts of meat and fish, plenty of vegetables and fruit. I also include carbs in every meal, be it bread, potatoes, pasta or rice.

Hope that helps.

jane.owen37

I am really confused!! Everything that people here says works (a low-carb diet) is exactly opposite to what I have been told by my DN and dietician. The diet sheets encourage the eating of wholeweat pasta and bread and the big no-no from the dietician were nuts and fruit which I love! Maybe this is reason that I'm finding it hard to lose the weight! Where can I find information of what to eat on a low-carb diet? Can anybody give me a typical day's meals so I've got a starting point or recommend a good cook? Also I notice here that Type 2 diabetics are testing their BG is this a personal choice and how do you go about it?
Jannie

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Hi Jane,yes it is confusing!!Firstly ,it is essential for type 2's to test their blood sugars to find out which foods affect them.This should not have to be a personal choice,we should automatically get the blood testing monitor and strips from the doctor but too often this is not happening because of budgetary restraints.
You should test ,initially ,before a meal then two hours after to see just how that meal has affected your blood sugars.By doing this for a week and keeping a food diary you should begin to see a pattern of which foods are OK for you to eat.
Have a good read in the low carb forum and food forum to pick up some helpful tips.

jane.owen37

Thanks for your reply Sue. My GP nor my DN has even mentioned me testing my own BG. I am just being tested every 6 weeks by my GP. I think I've seen reasonably priced monitors in my local Lloyds chemist so I might invest in 1 myself and then I'll be able to work out a diet of my own (I hope!!). I just feel that I was diagnosed, handed a few leaflets and left to get on with it - my only other contact with my DN was to get the flu jab and I asked then how often I should see her and was told every 6 months!! Nobody seems concerned about the weight I'm finding it really hard to lose! About 5 months before being diagnosed I was (mostly) on a wheat-free diet and was losing weight and then I was told by the dietician to eat the foods I'd been cutting out and guess what yep the weight didn't come off anymore!! I guess it's up to me now then! It will be hard with a family to feed aswell but this is my life and if I want to keep it (and all my body parts) it's time for me to get off my **** and do something about it! Maybe posting here today was the jolt I needed, I've been on one diet or another since I was 14 so I no I can do it if I put my mind to it. Thanks for your help.

Jannie x

sixfoot

Jane you clearly already know the important facts, if you can get the testing sorted you appear on the road to control. That is a place worth being.
Good luck

Dave P