Appointment with diabetic nurse / pain management clinic / hip & knee consultant

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who interrupt you when you're talking and people who won't listen.
I've just been in a similar situation with a different part of my body (abscess, not ulcer) and had the whole "do we cancel or not" thing. Here's my thoughts...

We told our insurance because we knew there was a good chance it would be an issue while we were away...policy price tripled...but we really wanted our holiday. We did go on holiday, but my abscess kept refilling and bursting...but every time it happened I didn't know if it would need a surgeon's attention, so I was constantly up tight and snappy because I was anxious and scared that I was going to end up in hospital. I'd ask your guy to think about how he'd feel about actually receiving medical attention abroad and whether it's possible etc. Our situation was made worse because we'd essentially be in the middle of a desert with few medical facilities. This anxiety ruined about a third of my holiday...until I realised my abscess was just going to do it's own thing but probably wasn't going to land me in the hospital. In the end, we did enjoy our holiday but there was about 5 or 6 days where I was miserable and really regretted going. If you can delay it without any penalties, I'd look at that, to be honest. I wouldn't want to put myself in that situation again, even though we did have a good time.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Molly56 - Where are you going on holiday? For me, that might make a difference to my risk/reward balance, if I were in your shoes; for example, EU countries offering a style of reciprocal care, which differs from member state to member state, versus USA where things can get very expensive, very quickly..

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who interrupt you when you're talking and people who won't listen.
@Molly56 - Where are you going on holiday? For me, that might make a difference to my risk/reward balance, if I were in your shoes; for example, EU countries offering a style of reciprocal care, which differs from member state to member state, versus USA where things can get very expensive, very quickly..
Good point, my trip was USA...worked out ok but on hindsight it was a bad idea!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Were the insurance comp informed of the diabetes?

Sorry I have no knowledge of foot ulcers, but hope this bumps it up ...

Loving life

Molly56

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Were the insurance comp informed of the diabetes?

Sorry I have no knowledge of foot ulcers, but hope this bumps it up ...

Loving life
@donnellysdogs ...yes the travel insurance company were already informed of the diabetes(he answered standard set of questions when we initially took out the annual policy)....have managed to get him to phone them today to update them on new medical condition which they have put down as 'leg ulcer'

The question still remains on what happens between now and when we go away as to whether the foot ulcer has improved / got worse and at what point do we decide (or someone else decides) as to whether we go or not.

Have told him that if he doesn't get it sorted he can go on his own....do not want to be stressed out myself on what is supposed to be a relaxing holiday.....was enough of a threat for him to sit up and take notice.

Have got a long way to go on this one but at least some initial progress has been made in contacting the travel insurance company.

Will have to make sure that I read the small print in the policy booklet - have requested paper copy by post - and if any doubt make sure that I ask the appropriate questions to make sure we are covered.

Reactions: 3 people

Molly56

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
@AndBreathe Am going to the Carribean so I guess that is technically the US or equivalent....involves approx 10 hour flight ....so some way from the comfort of home if anything goes wrong.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@AndBreathe Am going to the Carribean so I guess that is technically the US or equivalent....involves approx 10 hour flight ....so some way from the comfort of home if anything goes wrong.

Where in the Caribbean, as there are many regimes there, including French and Dutch islands, where the relevant regimes are in place?

On an upside, afro-Caribbean folks are very prone to diabetes, so it's not at all uncommon.

Molly56

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Where in the Caribbean, as there are many regimes there, including French and Dutch islands, where the relevant regimes are in place?
@AndBreathe Aruba....which is Dutch origin....have no idea what medical facilities are like there, guess it would be worth checking out just in case.

C

catherinecherub

Hi Molly,

There are factors that will affect the healing.
Does he have vascular disease (poor circulation in his legs and feet)?
Are his blood sugars improving?

This is the critical time for him to show some response to you trying to tell him to get his blood sugars under control as the longer he refuses to listen then the longer healing time. If it is a 10 hour flight then he is going to spend a lot of the time confined to his seat which will not help.
I would ask your G.P. as to whether support socks would be necessary.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@AndBreathe Aruba....which is Dutch origin....have no idea what medical facilities are like there, guess it would be worth checking out just in case.

I haven't been to Aruba,.............. yet! I hope you enjoy it. I would agree that some research is definitely worthwhile. Many of these places require payment up front, then reclaim on insurances, if relevant, so a credit card with a decent limit is a worthwhile accessory to your holiday packing.

Molly56

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi Molly,

There are factors that will affect the healing.
Does he have vascular disease (poor circulation in his legs and feet)?
Are his blood sugars improving?

This is the critical time for him to show some response to you trying to tell him to get his blood sugars under control as the longer he refuses to listen then the longer healing time. If it is a 10 hour flight then he is going to spend a lot of the time confined to his seat which will not help.
I would ask your G.P. as to whether support socks would be necessary.

@catherinecherub ...not sure about vascular disease - the nurse said he had a good pulse in both feet - but he does have neuropathy / loss of feeling in his feet. Am assuming blood sugars are not improving as have not tested recently but were in the high range when last tested.

Am of the feeling that I will need to speak to the GP /diabetic nurse/ podiatrist myself to know what the situation is / any advice given for my own peace of mind before deciding whether I / we go or not.

Hopefully I can get to have a word with the podiatrist before the next appointment so that she knows the situation - I spoke with someone that I know that works in tissue viability at the local hospital where I sometimes work and this is what she advised me to do.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I telling you this as a cautionary tale (not to stress you!)

There is a guy at work with an ulcer on his foot.
Overweight. Forties. No idea if he's ever been tested, or if he is a diabetic (not something he discusses).

About February (6 months ago!), he started taking time off on Thursday afternoons to have his dressing changed. First we'd heard of the problem.

He resisted all attempts to get him to sit with his foot elevated, or with a footstool.

No improvement since.

He went on a camping holiday last 2 weeks. Came back saying that he spent most of the hol sitting in front of the tent because it was too painful to be active, and that maybe, just maybe, all that sitting with his foot elevated may have helped...

But he's sitting with his foot down again.

Sometimes I despair...

The lessons I have learned from this ridiculous tale, is
  1. Take it seriously from the start
  2. Accept that healing may take longer than expected
  3. Use common sense!!!

Kazzy Lud

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed T1 after I'd told my husband I was leaving him. I could no longer cope with his expectations that I would always be there for him and look after him. I'd spent too many years being taken for granted. He wouldn't listen when I was concerned about his lifestyle choices.
It's early days but my life is already so much happier and those who know me well are proud that I've taken action.
I'm not saying leave him but perhaps get him to read this. My husband now says he never thought I'd leave and is devastated.
Rather ironic I got the diagnosis, but nothing to do with my lifestyle.

Reactions: 4 people

Molly56

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Following his appointment with the podiatrist today it seems that he now has a foot ulcer :( - am not surprised given the amount of time he has left it without seeing anyone. Will have to wait and see how this develops - was a bit surprised that he wasn't prescribed antibiotics if it is infected but then the podiatrist must know what she is doing.
Follow up appointment is next week on the 14th which was his original appointment date so will have to see what happens then.

Follow up appointment for foot ulcer today.....he tells me that the podiatrist says that it is improving as she had measured it.

Difficult to know if this is the case as it has a dressing on so cannot see for myself......will just have to take his word for it I guess.....unless he was just telling me this because he thought it was what I wanted to hear........how will I know???

Am still tempted to contact the podiatrist myself sometime and express my worries / concerns especially in view of our holiday in a few weeks time - at least it may put my mind at rest and give me one less thing to worry about.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Is there a reason you don't go with him to these appointments? My hubby and I always accompany each other to any medical appointments because 4 ears are better than 2 ears when it comes to taking in information.

Kazzy Lud

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Worrying and stressing yourself over things you have no control of will lead to insanity. Try to relax. Although you want to help, it's his diabetes.

Molly56

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Is there a reason you don't go with him to these appointments? My hubby and I always accompany each other to any medical appointments because 4 ears are better than 2 ears when it comes to taking in information.
I always go with him to appointments to doctor / diabetic nurse/ consultants etc as it is always better to hear first hand what is said and to remember what he needs to know and do. ......he never seems to take in or remember what is said so if I didn't go along I wouldn't have a clue and wouldn't be able to help as I do.
However, I leave him to go to the podiatrist on his own as it is normally just a regular appointment to check his feet and no major problems to date.....until this foot ulcer......
Also I was unable to go with him today as I was at work......if possible I manage to book appointments on days and at times when I am not working.

Reactions: 2 people

Molly56

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Worrying and stressing yourself over things you have no control of will lead to insanity. Try to relax. Although you want to help, it's his diabetes.
@Kazzy Lud I take your point but I am only trying to help him to help himself.....am trying to just let him get on with it but it is difficult when you can see that there is a better life than what he has at the moment.
Am aware of the need to protect my own health and wellbeing by seeking the appropriate support of friends etc and keeping my life in some sort of routine - also looking for opportunities to relax and have some quality me time.

Reactions: 6 people

Scouser58

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Hello Molly56 from Scouser58, it has been a while since we postsed and after reading the preceeding 31/2 pages you are still trying so hard to get your guy to take things seriously, and take the actions needed to get control of his diabetes.

Molly you deserve a medal for having so much patience, in carrying on with the support over and beyond, the call of human concern, and then maybe a holiday to rest your brain and body from all the stress of caring for somebody who won't listen to logical support.

So I hear the sockless man has now got a nasty ulcer on his heel, and you are going to the carabean for a holiday? erm major research is needed to find out what support there is available, for the heel problem. Have you thought about going on holiday on your own? the stress will be high for you.

The podiatry service may not speak to you, and then turning up for the next appointment maybe the best solution, and no anti-biotics for the heel, he might have been told to see the doctor for a prescription and he did not go?. while all this is gong on, he should have socks that are diabetic friendly, and are very comfortable, try looking at Cosyfeet, they do really good socks and their womens knee highs, and such are lovely and comfy, they also do shoes as well, the podiatrist may have catalogues for them.

It maybe a while before the insulin is given, especially now that there are these new injectable drugs, which may be good for him, I have victoza, a GPP-1.
Molly has he had any side effects, for him to know how things feel when the balance is all caput?.

Molly I am always available for chatting and support, your friends on this site are all here for you and will do what we can to help you, with the unco-operative man in your life.
And always remember Molly you have done so much that you now need to step back and rest, your frustration levels must be so high that your health must be a concern to you and all around you, ttfn

Reactions: 2 people

Molly56

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hello Molly56 from Scouser58, it has been a while since we postsed and after reading the preceeding 31/2 pages you are still trying so hard to get your guy to take things seriously, and take the actions needed to get control of his diabetes.

Molly you deserve a medal for having so much patience, in carrying on with the support over and beyond, the call of human concern, and then maybe a holiday to rest your brain and body from all the stress of caring for somebody who won't listen to logical support.

So I hear the sockless man has now got a nasty ulcer on his heel, and you are going to the carabean for a holiday? erm major research is needed to find out what support there is available, for the heel problem. Have you thought about going on holiday on your own? the stress will be high for you.

The podiatry service may not speak to you, and then turning up for the next appointment maybe the best solution, and no anti-biotics for the heel, he might have been told to see the doctor for a prescription and he did not go?. while all this is gong on, he should have socks that are diabetic friendly, and are very comfortable, try looking at Cosyfeet, they do really good socks and their womens knee highs, and such are lovely and comfy, they also do shoes as well, the podiatrist may have catalogues for them.

It maybe a while before the insulin is given, especially now that there are these new injectable drugs, which may be good for him, I have victoza, a GPP-1.
Molly has he had any side effects, for him to know how things feel when the balance is all caput?.

Molly I am always available for chatting and support, your friends on this site are all here for you and will do what we can to help you, with the unco-operative man in your life.
And always remember Molly you have done so much that you now need to step back and rest, your frustration levels must be so high that your health must be a concern to you and all around you, ttfn

@Scouser58 ....Had thought the same about the podiatry service and following on from the comment from @Bluetit1802 I think I will see if I can find some excuse to go along to his next podiatrist appointment depending on when it is and my work commitments. …..may try a quick call to the podiatrist team first to see if I can get any answers that way and at least have an opportunity to express my worries / concerns…..was talking to someone the other day that works in a similar department but in a different area and she said that you would be surprised how much information they get from the partner rather than the patient ….so hopefully the team in my area will be equally accommodating in hearing my concerns.

As far as the sock question goes he does own socks…..and as far as I can remember they are diabetic friendly -all purchased within the last few years and just sitting in a drawer …..the problem is that he just chooses / refuses to wear them :banghead:…..I washed one pair in the last week!

As far as any side effects to the recent change / increase in medication I have not noticed anything different, either positive or negative…..I guess that the increase must have had some impact but none that I can see and no immediately obvious side effects. Will have to wait for next diabetic nurse appointment and official blood test in a couple of months to see if any positive progress is being made......in the meantime I will try to encourage self testing where possible.

As a final point, yes I am aware of stress levels rising and am keeping an eye on how I am feeling – as for anyone else noticing I doubt that anyone has (or at least they have not said anything)…..this is not an issue that I have discussed with my immediate family (we are not particularly close) as it is not something which I really want to have an open family discussion about and all the advice and opinions that would follow......... – best that I keep it to myself and deal with it in my own way – .........discussing it with family would only increase my stress levels even more which would not actually help me:(.
I have a couple of close friends who understand my situation and if need be I will return to my GP who is sympathetic to my situation.

...............Since beginning to type this reply earlier I have just found out that next podiatrist appointment is next Wednesday so could potentially attend – will give it some thought over the weekend.:)

Reactions: 4 people