New meds

happy girl 1949

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Nothing
Hi got some new meds, does anyone take this one sitagliptin 100 mg I have to take it with gliclazide

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Last edited by a moderator:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I'll 'bump' your post up the forum in the hope that someone will help you.

julie56

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Angry people and liver!
Hi got some new meds, does anyone take this one sitagliptin 100 mg I have to take it with gliclazide

Hi - I have been taking sitagliptin 100g since October last year - as I understand it the way it works is to stimulate the pancreas to produce more insulin and reduce the amount of glucagon produced by the liver. I have had no trouble with it but I believe you have to watch out for hypos if you are taking glicazide.

happy girl 1949

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Nothing
Started the new meds so far so good ,only one thing how do I know I am having a hypo
Never had one before and been told thus one can give you one on glixazide

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I take stiiptin to stop over production of insulin. The drug is an inhibitor and counteracts hypers and stops the effect of that
The science bit.-
Stigliptin is an oral anti hyperglycaemic inhibitor.
It works to inhibit the enzyme DPP4.
It breaks down the incretins gastrointestinal hormones released after a meal.
They increase the secretion of insulin and suppress the release of glucagon by the alpha cells of the pancreas
This drives BSLs to normal. Blood glucose normalise. Insulin and glucagon are suppressed. No flushing hence low BSLs.

Hope that helps.

Reactions: 2 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
There is a lot of symptoms that are different for everybody. Hypos are related to tiredness and lethargy. I have listed mine on the thread 'according to my consultant'.

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I started some new meds a few weeks ago"forxiga" so far all been good, was on Humulin but was getting hypos so hoping these tabs can keep levels low...so far not so bad I take it in a morning with 2 met then 2 gliclazide with the after noon meal and 2 met, anyone else tried these tabs?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
You will notice the difference in a few days. I forgot to mention that a gliptins is an appetite suppresser. Also very rare to get side effects. The reason it is used in conjunction with gliclizade is to prevent hypos which they give you.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hope it goes well for you. Update us now and again.

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I am glad I found this site too....i felt so alone as not many want to talk about this condition.... The new med seems to eb working for now but must say after a time my body seems to get used to the drug and have to try something else.....

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
which new med you on mine is forxiga.... unsure about making me hungry maybe a little at night when i cnat eat grrrr

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was on sitagliptin/metoformin (Janumet) and Gliclazide until last week put put on over a stone in weight in 3 month with the Glic although my ac1 had come down to 7.4 my DN has taken me off the Glic, kept my sitagliptin the same and upped my metformin. See how that has worked at my next blood test. She said if my levels go back up she'll try me on canagliflozin/dapaglifozin as the next port of call. Hopefully if I shift the weight I've put back on plus a bit more I won't need it though.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I take gliclazide and sitagliptin
Let me know how stigliptin is helping you. I've found it very good. Have my glucose tolerance test next Wednesday.
Will be interesting to see what happens.

Have you had any hypos since taking them?

happy girl 1949

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Nothing
No I have not yet going for my blood reviews on Monday we will see how I get on when I go and see the nurse after that.

happy girl 1949

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Nothing
Hope I don't put on weight though or I will be in trouble at home with my hubby he does not like me fat