I can do this!

Kazzy Lud

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's just over 2 months since my T1 diagnosis aged 46 that shocked me to my core. I've just had my latest HbA1c and it's 46! My previous one was 81 and at that stage made no sense at all.

A bit of effort to learn as much as I can and a determination to succeed and not be beaten.

I know it's still early days but I'm really pleased.

If I can do it, anyone can.

Reactions: 11 people

Patricia762

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Pump
It's just over 2 months since my T1 diagnosis aged 46 that shocked me to my core. I've just had my latest HbA1c and it's 46! My previous one was 81 and at that stage made no sense at all.

A bit of effort to learn as much as I can and a determination to succeed and not be beaten.

My husband was diagnosed T1 last week, we are in shock as it effects us both. This morning i was so depressed about what the future holds but after joining Diabetes,co.uk and reading lots of post, i now feel more determined than ever to help hubby control this. Well done you am so pleased for you

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Looking at your results, well done to you! From what I have learnt so far, T2 seems harder to manage.

Thank you, but it's a work in progress. I'm not there yet! There are different downsides to being T1 and T2. Our major problem is getting the diet right so as not to raise sugar levels without the aid of insulin injections, and many of us on diet only, no meds at all, so we have to be more careful about which foods we can eat. However, I would hate to have to control my levels with insulin. It must be very difficult. Keep up the good work!

Reactions: 2 people

Kazzy Lud

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My husband was diagnosed T1 last week, we are in shock as it effects us both. This morning i was so depressed about what the future holds but after joining Diabetes,co.uk and reading lots of post, i now feel more determined than ever to help hubby control this. Well done you am so pleased for you
He's lucky to have you supporting him. The forum is brilliant to give support and answer questions. It does get easier. At first it feels to take over but already I'm in a routine. The biggest part for me is deciding what I'm going to eat before I eat it. I used to graze and eat when I wanted without any thought!

Kazzy Lud

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you, but it's a work in progress. I'm not there yet! There are different downsides to being T1 and T2. Our major problem is getting the diet right so as not to raise sugar levels without the aid of insulin injections, and many of us on diet only, no meds at all, so we have to be more careful about which foods we can eat. However, I would hate to have to control my levels with insulin. It must be very difficult. Keep up the good work!
As there is no choice about insulin, I feel lucky I can continue to eat the same foods I have always eaten. I thinks it's important that we all remain positive :0)

Reactions: 3 people

Patricia762

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Pump
He's lucky to have you supporting him. The forum is brilliant to give support and answer questions. It does get easier. At first it feels to take over but already I'm in a routine. The biggest part for me is deciding what I'm going to eat before I eat it. I used to graze and eat when I wanted without any thought!
I do support him kazzy, it effects us both, but he is the one having to except he has diabetes..thank you for your support

Drummer mum

Well done!

I'm going into my sixth week since being diagnosed T1 at the age of 52. Similar to you my HBA1C was 84 and last week it was 50 so I feel I'm getting there!
It's certainly a challenge and it is early days but I'm trying to stay positive. Tiny steps :)

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Smiles thats the way forward.....mind over matter and keep going woohoo ...well done

Kazzy Lud

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well done for getting it down. We can do this! It would be easier if it was an exact science but life isn't. That's what makes it interesting!

semiphonic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Ignorant people, diabetes!

Well done Kazzy, that's great results :)

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

cracking effort to get that HbA1c down that quick, well done.

I'm a late bloomer same as you , so I can understand the shock of the diagnosis. There're lenty of us about on here so don't be afraid of asking. The most stupid question is the one you don't ask.

Kazzy Lud

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you. Its good to see so many people that continue with their normal activities. I'm still a bit wary but want to get back to two high intensity 'workouts' a week (there are some breaks and slower bits). I have to fit my main meal after work, so usually 6.30pm, and then training begins at 8pm for an hour and a half. I'm often feeling too full and still have to force a cereal bar down at 9!