Low carb diets

Emma_P23

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ok so I want to cut down on the amount of carbs I eat as I am slightly addicted to a very high carb diet! Lol. Can anyone suggest any good recipes?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

forge

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Getting old and everything that goes with it. All the repeats on TV. The drongos who ring me up to sell me things. Religious havens for pedophiles and war-mongers.
This is nearly a choc mud cake and has been adapted by one poster as an orange cake
Magnificent icing can be made from sweetener and cream cheese chocolate with vanilla and cocoa added and "standard" with lemon or lime juice.

We make it in a soup dish and it works fine.
  • Chocolate lovers can enjoy low carb desserts, too! If chocolate is your thing, you can make a low carb, three-minute chocolate cake. In a large glass measuring cup, mix together ¼ cup almond flour, one tablespoon cocoa, ¼ teaspoon baking powder, three tablespoons Splenda, two tablespoons melted butter, one tablespoon water, and one egg. Cover the measuring cup with plastic wrap, cut a small slit in it, and microwave on high for one to two minutes or until the cake looks set but still moist. If you enjoyed this, try out our other low carb cake options or our advice on low carb brownies!

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Anything that is based around eggs meat or fish rather than pasta rice or potatos. How far are you looking to cut it down?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Look in the low-carb food section of the forum for recipe ideas.

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hey Hun like noble said the low carb section on here is great for ideas, I follow a group on Facebook called low carb eaters, they post some lovely recipes too, I find it hard at times cos I had the usual rice/pasta/bread for every meal but I'm managing ok, not had pasta or bread for weeks now but have a small amount of whole grain rice with meals some days, preparation is key for when your at work, out the house etc but you will soon pick things up :) xx

Emma_P23

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hey Hun like noble said the low carb section on here is great for ideas, I follow a group on Facebook called low carb eaters, they post some lovely recipes too, I find it hard at times cos I had the usual rice/pasta/bread for every meal but I'm managing ok, not had pasta or bread for weeks now but have a small amount of whole grain rice with meals some days, preparation is key for when your at work, out the house etc but you will soon pick things up :) xx
Thank you for the suggestions. I'll take a look. :)

Gary Thom

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not recipes as such but I managed to dramatically decrease my carb intake by:

- Eating a lot more fish, with cauliflower, brocolli, spinach or asparagus as a side. Sausages and steak are good too but you shouldn't eat them too often. Something like chicken or turkey breast would be ideal really.
- Starting to make salads instead of sandwiches for lunches at work. Tuna and avacado are my favourite things to put in.
- Eggs or greek yoghurt with berries for breakfasts. I often have porridge which is quite high carb but this is at least low GI if you go for the pinhead stuff. I weigh it out exactly so I can match the insulin pretty well.
- For snacks I now generally have cheeses, nuts or greek yoghurt with berries. That's not to say I won't have an occassional cakey treat but generally only as a reward if my blood sugar levels have been good.
- Cut out potatoes, white pasta, white rice and any non-diet fizzy drinks. I've found cauliflower is a really good substitute for these sort of things where you just want to pad out a meal.

I generally adhere to this during the week then loosen up a bit at the weekend if we're going out for dinner or similar. Peshwari naan is my greatest weakness.

Good luck!