Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Arrogant and ignorant people.
:)

And you believe all that rubbish?
Did you challenge it?
That is the standard advice given out by most nurses. It's exactly what my nurse told me. If you know what is good for you John, ignore it. This is outdated and quite honestly, wrong.
However, try it all, and test, test, test. It won't take you long to realise how wrong it is.

Irrespective of diabetes, how can anyone lose weight whilst eating all those carbs?

Its hard to judge.I will loose weight if i get off me backside and go for a walk each day a little walk i know would loose some weight.Im on me own on a Thursday when wife goes daycare theres my excuse now to get out and set off to walk to town get the bus back when i get knackered so to speak.I do deffo do need some exercise and to trial and error and i cant test cos i aint got any equipment.

johnboy412000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The Desmond thingy will be able to help a lot as the nurse pointed out.They will be able to give me more pointers

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Just come back from the diabetic nurse and shes given me a list of what i can and cant eat.

Plenty starchy carbohydrates
Eat regular meals and healthy snacks.
Breakfast of the all bran im having is fine
Avoid all unhealthily/hydrogenated fats
Choose low fat dairy products
Check food labels
Choose lean meat and remove fat and skin
Avoid fried and fast food and baked goods so thats MacD's out except the odd occasional one
Keep hydrated avoid binge drinking

Meals based upon starchy carbs
Potatoes
Cereals
Rice
Pasta
Bread

That means i can have me sarnie and spuds she said avoid roast spuds.Also can have me all bran and pasta meals like lasagne canaloni spag bol etc.Just a case of watch the traffic lights that they arent too much red etc.

Plenty of fruit the 5 a day regime but not to eat too many in one sitting.

Eat less saturated fats rather than foods containing saturated fat such as Cheese and Biscuits
Sausages in moderation
Pies are out

Choosing leaner meats such as chicken or trimming fat off cuts of red ,eat can help reduce saturated fat

Eat more oily fish at least 2 portions per week is recommended.

Eat less sugar and salt she said canderel is fine cut down on salt speaks for itself.

Keeping hydrated aim to drink at least 1 to 2 litres of fluid each day.
Tea,Coffee,Milk and fruit juice however this does not include alcohol well i very rarely have any of that.
OJ she said was fine but a small glass only.

So there we are im a lot clearer now after that and the futures bright the futures orange as the advert goes lol.Shes refered me to Desmond sessions.Also im now on the diabetic register so things like yearly eye tests and foot care are on the agenda.But that comes under another topic on this forum.
Basically im one happy chappy :):cool:
Ive got something to work on now
I sacked my DN once I discovered this place mate.
Do a week of what she says and test regular.
Then do a week of what the experienced first handers say on here ... you'll see and feel a massive difference.
I think the NHS are trying to kill us all off!

Reactions: 5 people

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
Its hard to judge.I will loose weight if i get off me backside and go for a walk each day a little walk i know would loose some weight.Im on me own on a Thursday when wife goes daycare theres my excuse now to get out and set off to walk to town get the bus back when i get knackered so to speak.I do deffo do need some exercise and to trial and error and i cant test cos i aint got any equipment.
I have become very inactive because of spinal problems and on the low carb high fat I'm losing weight and have more energy.

Reactions: 2 people

johnboy412000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Shes refered me to the Desmond thingy and after reading about it im looking forward to going along when they give me a date and join in the sessions with other people in the same boat and learn something and ask a lot of questions etc.Im taking it all one step at a time and learning in the process.

johnboy412000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I have become very inactive because of spinal problems and on the low carb high fat I'm losing weight and have more energy.

Sorry to hear that mate :( im going to get some exercise in while i am able bodied so to speak.I have the energy especially after giving up smoking thats not a problem its the getting motivated which i will do i can be a very determined old coot when i wanna be lol

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
I found it all a bit daunting at first and settled for no sugar smaller portions and got no where.
So much to learn was doing my nut in.
Then I found this place ... discovered what little I knew about carbs fats etc was all completely wrong and everything was turned on its head!
Kept reading and my first step was a week of no bread no rice no pasta no spuds.
Just for the hell of it!
My blood sugar levelled out.
I started losing weight.
My mind was so much clearer.
Felt great and it no longer seemed so difficult to take it in.
It started to make sense.
Stick with this place Johnboy and I'm sure like me you'll look back at your earliests posts and see a massive change in your health your outlook and your knowledge.
Cuppa.gif

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you stop eating relatively expensive ready meals, and eating out in cafes, you will save money. Fresh food is cheaper. Veggies cost next to nothing. This way you will save enough to buy strips. Have a look at the SD Codefree (Amazon) and ask someone on here about the promotion code whereby you can get them even cheaper. (I don't use this meter so can't help with that). If you want to stay off insulin, you need a meter. It is essential.

Meanwhile, as Jack says, stay on here, read what diabetics have to say (not nurses churning out old fashioned rubbish) and try to change. For your own sake. Please!

Stephen89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Again Alot Of Things
John, diabetes.co.uk give out free metres on facebook also your diabetic nurse will provide you with one and once you have it go directly to your gp clinic and add your strips and needles for your machine to your prescription list...

forge

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Getting old and everything that goes with it. All the repeats on TV. The drongos who ring me up to sell me things. Religious havens for pedophiles and war-mongers.
Cooking lesson #1
Take 1 soup plate
Put frozen veg in soup plate
Cover soup plate with a flat plate
Put in microwave set on "high or cook" set timer 3 minutes.
When it goes ding check to see if the veg is cooked
If not try another minute or two

Reactions: 4 people

forge

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Getting old and everything that goes with it. All the repeats on TV. The drongos who ring me up to sell me things. Religious havens for pedophiles and war-mongers.
Cooking lesson number 2
Same as number 1 but put different food in the dish.

johnboy412000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
John, diabetes.co.uk give out free metres on facebook also your diabetic nurse will provide you with one and once you have it go directly to your gp clinic and add your strips and needles for your machine to your prescription list...

Oh right i never knew that about the free meters

johnboy412000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@ Forge whos the cooking lessons aimed at ? :D

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
When it goes ping take it out and cover it in grated cheese and bung under grill until cheese melted.
Sprinkle with Worcestershire sauce.