New Flash Glucose Monitoring from Abbott - Bloodless Testing

Kazzy Lud

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It looks great. It says it needs fitting every 2 weeks. It doesn't say how... It may need fitting by a nurse. I like the idea of anything that makes monitoring more regular.
It may even be cost effective for NHS compared to strips!

Reactions: 2 people

Kazzy Lud

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Would it attach in a similar way you how you guys attach your pump?

Robert 2170

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have emailed asking when it will be available and the cost
They are unable to give out that info just now so have to wait
Hope it is not too expensive and the sensors are not to dear

Reactions: 4 people
H

Hooked

I have emailed asking when it will be available and the cost
They are unable to give out that info just now so have to wait
Hope it is not too expensive and the sensors are not to dear
I got the same reply. Apparently (according to a fellow diabetic on the internet) they are not working with the NHS to make them available for free.

Robert 2170

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No surprise there they will make a lot money cause any body thats test knows how sore your fingers get and will bye them safe or poor fingers

H

Hooked

Reactions: 3 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Sounds fantastic, just hope the sensors aren't too expensive so that NICE approves the meter on the NHS :)

Can't wait...............

Reactions: 4 people

AlexMBrennan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It looks great. It says it needs fitting every 2 weeks. It doesn't say how... It may need fitting by a nurse. I like the idea of anything that makes monitoring more regular.
Unlikely - CGMs don't, and this looks very similar (smaller sensor, and lower battery drain by having much shorter range thus requiring you to place the meter over the sensor).
No surprise there they will make a lot money cause any body thats test knows how sore your fingers get and will bye them safe or poor fingers
Abbot still gets paid regardless of whether you buy the device privately or the NHS pays for it, but obviously they stand to make a lot more money if the NHS pays for one for every diabetic (which would require their studies to show that the device massively reduces complications across the board) rather than by selling to the rich.

Omnipod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The device is fitted easily. You insert it into a plastic thing, peel off a sticky paper, put the plastic inserter on the position you want to wear it then press a button and it inserts. Quick and easy.

Most strips cost in the region of £25 per 50 strips which last about 1 week. I doubt the sensors will cost more than £50 each. If they cost less than £50, surely 2 sensors per month will save the NHS money in the long run.

Initially, I think we would have to self fund but overtime as the sensors become cheaper to manufacture due to demand, I am sure the NHS will start funding them. Everyone is going to want this device when it comes available.

I heard that it will be cheaper than Dexcom. Abbot are very reasonable with pricing. An omnipod PDM sells for about £300 and a pod for about £18 each. Based on that, I am sure the Libre will be affordable.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
The device is fitted easily. You insert it into a plastic thing, peel off a sticky paper, put the plastic inserter on the position you want to wear it then press a button and it inserts. Quick and easy.

Most strips cost in the region of £25 per 50 strips which last about 1 week. I doubt the sensors will cost more than £50 each. If they cost less than £50, surely 2 sensors per month will save the NHS money in the long run.

Initially, I think we would have to self fund but overtime as the sensors become cheaper to manufacture due to demand, I am sure the NHS will start funding them. Everyone is going to want this device when it comes available.

I heard that it will be cheaper than Dexcom. Abbot are very reasonable with pricing. An omnipod PDM sells for about £300 and a pod for about £18 each. Based on that, I am sure the Libre will be affordable.
Here's the list of NHS cost for test strips http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/cost-of-blood-glucose-and-ketone-strips-to-nhs.56880/
The new meter is not a CGM so don't expect it to be it only registers when you scan the sensor attached to you.

KeithD

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
A few
The new meter is not a CGM so don't expect it to be it only registers when you scan the sensor attached to you.

I thought I had read it takes a reading every 15 mins, when you scan you get the latest reading and the history, must scan within 8hrs to get a full history onto the meter.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate

Omnipod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
it give you a reading wheneve you scan the meter over the sensor. Its not CGM

I mentioned the cost of test strips as most diabetics get at least 200 stips per month which should work out the same or even less than 2 sensors per month PLUS you get more readings. Stores up to 90 days of glucose data
-Provides a complete glucose picture over 3 months - Take the AGP interactive tour on the home link

AlexMBrennan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
it give you a reading wheneve you scan the meter over the sensor. Its not CGM
Yes, but the description says that the sensor stores and transmits 8hs worth of data whenever you scan it with the meter, which means that you could get a whole day's coverage by scanning the sensor every 8h - are you saying that this is incorrect? From Abbot's homepage:
"With every scan you get your current glucose reading, the last 8 hours of glucose and an arrow showing the direction your glucose is heading."

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Would be nice if it transmitted to a smart phone rather than yet another bulky touchscreen device, but I sure it's for commercial reasons.