Downward slope????????

Richard0804

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I don't suffer fools gladly. I cant stand people who constantly go on about their illness or problems. Hey You're ill or have a problem. GET ON WITH IT. Don't bother me.
With you two looking after my diet I should do all right....lol...lol... Thanks

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good luck Richard. I was diagnosed only a month ago and Im trying low carb. it does seem strange at first but you do get into this way of thinking. :)

Reactions: 4 people

Richard0804

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I don't suffer fools gladly. I cant stand people who constantly go on about their illness or problems. Hey You're ill or have a problem. GET ON WITH IT. Don't bother me.
Hi Mo It's all about education??? I have to learn to make the correct choices. It'll 'all come out in the wash???' I was first diagnosed 10 yrs ago but INSULIN only last Friday,. Not a bad innings I suppose....lol...lol Thanks.

Reactions: 2 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You won't be the first to get back on meds with LC and if you don't it will make insulin easier with more stable BG
http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf

What insulin dose and type do you have?
The first thing is to get your bedtime and before breakfast BG readings right, is your nurse good at helping you with the dose?

Last edited by a moderator:

forge

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Getting old and everything that goes with it. All the repeats on TV. The drongos who ring me up to sell me things. Religious havens for pedophiles and war-mongers.
Are the different flours readily available?? Where can I purchase them?? I've never heard of 'coconut flour'.
Hello @Richard0804 Coconut flour should be in your supermarket and it sucks up water like you would not believe so it ends up a big volume, Almond meal /flour should be in your supermarket too. So I try to use those two because they are easy to buy. There is a wholesaler to the catering industry here near us in Brisbane and they sell minimum 3KG Almond meal and min 11.3KG coconut flour,

The almond meal is a good price compared to the supermarket 450gm packs but the coconut flour is less than 1/3 of the retail price.

I use 1/3 of each flour for cakes (wheat flour,coconut flour, almond meal.)
If I want a more nutty flavor I use the almond meal, and if I want to "bulk" it up a bit I add crushed peanuts If you want more coconut flavour I can bulk it out with desiccated coconut,

If you can find a wholesaler or someone who buys from one ???

We bought 3kg cashews raw kernels 3kg crushed peanuts 3 kg almond meal 11.3 kg coconut flour,which added up to over $200 Australia and it is a substantial order but should last 6 months or more with 3 of us eating lo carb.

Two of us just ate some fish cakes made from one tiny tin of salmon, 1 egg, onion and 1 1/2 tablespoons of coconut flour it was good but a little dry I cooked it in the flat sandwich toaster with spray oil to stop it sticking Next time I will put some olive oil in it, It went down well with a dash of chilli sauce.

Richard0804

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thanks Bud That's given me something to work at. I'll let you know how I get on... Best Regards to you and your's..

Richard0804

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hello @Richard0804 Coconut flour should be in your supermarket and it sucks up water like you would not believe so it ends up a big volume, Almond meal /flour should be in your supermarket too. So I try to use those two because they are easy to buy. There is a wholesaler to the catering industry here near us in Brisbane and they sell minimum 3KG Almond meal and min 11.3KG coconut flour,

The almond meal is a good price compared to the supermarket 450gm packs but the coconut flour is less than 1/3 of the retail price.

I use 1/3 of each flour for cakes (wheat flour,coconut flour, almond meal.)
If I want a more nutty flavor I use the almond meal, and if I want to "bulk" it up a bit I add crushed peanuts If you want more coconut flavour I can bulk it out with desiccated coconut,

If you can find a wholesaler or someone who buys from one ???

We bought 3kg cashews raw kernels 3kg crushed peanuts 3 kg almond meal 11.3 kg coconut flour,which added up to over $200 Australia and it is a substantial order but should last 6 months or more with 3 of us eating lo carb.

Two of us just ate some fish cakes made from one tiny tin of salmon, 1 egg, onion and 1 1/2 tablespoons of coconut flour it was good but a little dry I cooked it in the flat sandwich toaster with spray oil to stop it sticking Next time I will put some olive oil in it, It went down well with a dash of chilli sauce.

Hi My Friend
That's given me loads to think about??? Nah!!! 'loads to try'. I'll have to let you know how I get on with sourcing things here in the UK.
Many Thanks for the advise and info. Kind Regards to you and your's.

Richard0804

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
You won't be the first to get back on meds with LC and if you don't it will make insulin easier with more stable BG
http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf

What insulin dose and type do you have?
The first thing is to get your bedtime and before breakfast BG readings right, is your nurse good at helping you with the dose?

Hi Insulman Basel 14 units mornings usually around 13, bedtime around 19/20. Yes the nurse is really helpful, 'one of the old school'. A real caring nurse.

Just blue

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi told type 2 on the 21st jan 2014 now medication free lost 7.5 stone, keep at it it was a life style change for me, but if you focus you can do it

Richard0804

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Insuman Basel up to 14. BS down to 8.6 first thing in the morning and ends up at around 12.6 ish bedtime.

I have increased the insulin to 16 tonight. Let's see what happens now???

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I can't give dosing advise because I'm t2 and pass everything by your nurse. but read on site it's 10% or 0.5-2U fine tune with a 3am check to see how it's going, if you put up a post in the insulin section, it will get the attention of the insulin guys

You are going to feel better with your bloods in range

Last edited by a moderator:

Richard0804

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thanks Jack
BS 8.6 this morning and crept up to 13.9 tonight. Insulin at 16 will check around 2 am.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's heading the right way, but I'm not comfortable saying anything about insulin, that may point you down the wrong path.
I might be wrong but It sounds like you could be taking one injection a day of Insuman basal

To get people who know about insulin, I would put up an 'insulin help' post in the T2 with insulin page
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/type-2-with-insulin.57/

This site helped me with testing
http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14045524.php
To get good data to give the nurse
For a few days it might be worth doing a full testing schedule, before breakfast lunch and dinner...and 2 hrs after each meal and before bed
Along with what times you take your Insuman basal.
If you have a diary already, you could put up a couple of days results for the clever guys

Richard0804

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
It's heading the right way, but I'm not comfortable saying anything about insulin, that may point you down the wrong path.
I might be wrong but It sounds like you could be taking one injection a day of Insuman basal

To get people who know about insulin, I would put up an 'insulin help' post in the T2 with insulin page
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/type-2-with-insulin.57/

This site helped me with testing
http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14045524.php
To get good data to give the nurse
For a few days it might be worth doing a full testing schedule, before breakfast lunch and dinner...and 2 hrs after each meal and before bed
Along with what times you take your Insuman basal.
If you have a diary already, you could put up a couple of days results for the clever guys

Good thinking Batman.....lol....

Many Thanks Jack. That really makes sense, by going to the nurse with comprehensive results so she can determine whether or not the Insuman Basal is right for me? I've kept a BS/Food diary since January, so I have all of the data needed, I must remember to take it with me next time I see the Nurse . Cheers Pal... You really are a great help. Thanks Richard