Medic alert bracelets yay or nay!!!

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Got news for ya hun, going into shock after an accident and the EMTs not knowing that your diabetic could cost you your life because your glucose levels drop to low well you never wake up from it (or end up with a seizure and they think your epileptic and start you on antiepleptic medication (that could actually make things way worse for you).

<snip>.

Well, I see no reason that a diabetic who is not on medication and has good control should react any differently from a non-diabetic under those circumstances.

To quote
http://www.mendosa.com/blog/?p=1026
"Well managed diabetes is the leading cause of NOTHING"

My BG control is good, my immune system is good, I heal well, I am fit, I am slim.
Perhaps not the typical T2 if you believe the figures, but I don't feel the need to wear something to suggest that I am at special risk because I don't believe that I am.

If in doubt ask your GP or DSN if you are at particular risk when out and about, or involved in an accident.

If they advise that you should wear ID saying that you are diabetic, then go for it.
If they say you are not at risk then don't add any complications for the people who are trying to assist you.

Cheers

LGC

Chris077

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had a medic alert sports strap but found the cost too much. I left it for a few years and then got dog tags off ebay. Cheap and they contain all my emergency information. I either wear them on a lanyard or have them attached to my keys.
Also have a silicon bracelet but don't use it all the time.

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
Get one...I strongly advise it. I got a pair of personalized dog-tags on eBay for a fiver (free postage). I've never needed it as a Type 2 but who knows, I might judge my insulin wrong one day and take a hypo and it could be anywhere, best to be safe.

Reactions: 2 people

wilson94

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I just bought this necklace (love that the cupcake slides across) https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/182426647/type-1-diabetes-stainless-yes-i-can-eat?ref=listing-2

... and this for my keyring: https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/188195348/funny-type-1-diabetes-stamped-on-mirror?ref=listing-3

- I'm by myself a lot of the time (exercise, walking dogs, driving - plus live alone) so thought it was probably a good idea to have something with me that lets people know... but... I hate being reminded of it myself all the time (plus super-fed-up with people's comments re what I eat/look like etc at the mo) - so thought this was a happy medium :)

Would love to see the links to some of the other things peeps have found :)

I love etsy!! Never thought to look on there! I love the humour on the first link, very pretty too!
I've always worn a bracelet with my name, diabetic and insulin dependent engraved on it. Thinking about updating and adding type 1 to that... Also thinking a tattoo maybe... So many options! I would definitely advise anyone to get some form of ID as you never know when you might need it! :D

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
I am also considering this as I find wearing jewelry difficult
Remember not to get your tat done on your bum as the paramedics might have a hard job looking for it !:wacky:

Reactions: 5 people

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I personally have always worn a medic alert piece of jewellery.
I have worn both necklaces and Bracelets in the past .
I now wear a bracelet medic alert that states on the back type 1 diabetes , I'm so used to wearing it now I forget it's actually there but deep down I know it's there and so does my family . If anything was to ever happen heaven for bid . it's good to know you have been wearing this with the necessary information provided .

:):):)

Reactions: 4 people

lessci

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've got an old fashioned SOS pendant - attched to my keyring most of the time, but when I'm on holiday as a solo traveller had it since I was a teenager and useful as I can add details of where I'm staying and my other medical issues (asprin allergy which could kill me quicker than a hypo as it stops me breathing) At home our local Lions club runs a scheme with a plastic bottle which goes in your fridge and stickers to put on a door and the fridge so the emergency services know you have one, they can pick it up and all your details are there.

uncle

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As a card carrying first aider
First thing you do when you come across someone unconscious is to try wake them up (at this point if not breathing do the old CPR) if breathing check for jewellery, that being medical alerts, so check neck and wrists, pat them down remove anything from pockets then put on recovery position. This works for 2 reasons 1 your are not rolling person on to something that might hurt them and 2 you may get info on illness
I would look in wallet or bag for info on person and sod anyone thinking I was robbing them, call the police, I m not going anywhere until proper medical assistance arrives, when it does anything removed from person is handed over to them.
Rather than worry about bystanders concern would be for person needing help

I have a bracelet, an app on phone and a card in bag, although hopefully anyone looking in bag would find meter, insulin and hypo kit so would know what was wrong.

Was going to get a tat on wrist but tattooist said no it would have to be bigger and sit above wrist as moving your hand affects healing of tat and can make tat look horrid as ink moves about (sometimes diabetes makes healing harder). So might go for a big tat from elbow to just above wrist.

Reactions: 4 people

fractureman

I use ice gems brill for me engraved with info & cheap. I drive for a living & find it superb on my wrist or cab of a large vehicle

Dan Sumner

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1409494946.307197.jpg
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1409494982.889757.jpg
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1409495005.573336.jpg

This is the one I have, I bought it off eBay for a couple of quid. I really like it.

Dan

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

andybee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This is a no brainer; just do it.

I recently took my 5 units of fast acting to cover breakfast and by mistake took another 30 units instead of slow acting. From feeling a bit weird to being unconscious was less than 2 minutes.

I personally don't like to advertise my condition on my wrist but wear a dog tag with all the info and contact details and a visible card in my wallet.

Don't think about it any longer....just get it

Adele99

I bought an SOS talisman bracelet over 30 years ago and used to wear it all the time, then upgraded to a gold SOS pendant, and I rarely wear either of them now. Having said that I'm not out so much these days and usually there's someone with me who knows I'm a type 1 . They're a good idea and can't make anything worse, so on balance would probably suggest wearing some form of alert.

Carine Allen

Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
Other
Hii,Type 1 diabetes is usually diagnosed in children and young adults,In type 1 diabetes, the body does not produce insulin. Insulin is a hormone that is needed to convert sugar.

Tracieo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I have some lovely beaded bracelets that state diabetes. If you PM me I will email you the pictures. I get them from a lady on etsy who hand makes them.