GP surgery repeat prescriptions - behind the times!

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
For a few years now, our GP surgery has posted the message below under repeat prescriptions on their website. This is annoying as I notice that other forum members order on-line without a problem. Is this a particular issue to Welsh GPs/NHS I wonder? I would be interested to hear from others if they are allowed to order on-line.

Anyway enough is enough and I'm going to write to them today asking for the exact reasons why this can't be done when it seems that most things now electronic. Can't see why this would be less safe than sending my blood results, scans etc. on-line.

Repeat Prescription

Until a safe online service is available for your repeat prescriptions please feel free to download and use the repeat prescription form.

Reactions: 2 people

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I can either use a very insecure-looking online form or email

StormyDog

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So far I can only book appointments using emis - don't know why we can't have the full features
To get repeats I've had to ask for my prescription to be made repeat then it was added to the online emis. I can request a repeat but still have to go in to pick it up and transfer it to the pharmacy.

Try goining into your gp and asking why you don't see your repeats on emis?

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Don't think Wales use emis? I've certainly never heard of it before.

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Just tried to register and it messaged me that the service is only available in England.

czj

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think it depends on your GP. Our previous GP was in Wales and we used emis. We lived just over the border in England, not that that is relevant.

Interestingly when we moved to Scotland recently our new GP was astounded we used online ordering. His first question was "But how did the system keep track to know if you were over-ordering?". I thought it was an interesting point, though it had never occurred to me. If it had, perhaps I'd have made a fortune selling strips on eBay.

StormyDog

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think it depends on your GP. Our previous GP was in Wales and we used emis. We lived just over the border in England, not that that is relevant.

Interestingly when we moved to Scotland recently our new GP was astounded we used online ordering. His first question was "But how did the system keep track to know if you were over-ordering?". I thought it was an interesting point, though it had never occurred to me. If it had, perhaps I'd have made a fortune selling strips on eBay.
The online system is only a request for a prescription. The doctor has to authorise the request so the health centre can implement any policies it sees fit to guard against over use.

czj

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That makes sense. Overall it's hardly a great leap into the 21st century then

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Ours is either by fax, or go into the surgery.

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
It would save a journey into town for those of us that live out in the country, as the surgery don't accept requests by phone. It's a convenience thing as much as anything else. Mind you the speed of broadband in rural Wales it would be quicker to drive into town....but that's a different forum/thread!!

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
How about really old fashioned French way :D.
Doctor writes prescription, my hospital doc actually does this by hand, GP on computer. They put x6 at bottom. Pharmacy stamps prescription each time you use it. As in the UK you can normally only get 6 months without seeing a doctor. No real need for any complicated system!
(The pharmacy does enter items into a computer which then deals with payments but that is a different matter)

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
My surgery uses emis, so I can order repeats and book online for an apt if needed. Plus if you want something not on the repeat prescription list all you do is ask in the space provided.

Reactions: 2 people
C

chris lowe

My surgery (in West Sussex) uses Systemonline to access appointments and repeat prescriptions. Have no problems using it unless I re-order husbands at same time. I think it confuses them as I'm a Christine and he's a Christopher

DonnaC-T

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Mine has a date that you can order it on. So it might be once a month and if it's before you can't tick that item. But you can then add it in the notes section at the bottom.
X

jackois

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My surgery allows you to log in and order your repeat prescriptions online. An automated e-mail acknowledges it. Currently, I have to pick the prescription up from the surgery and have it filled by the local chemist, but have just filled in the paperwork that will allow the surgery to forward the prescription direct to my local chemist, who will fill it & then ring me to say that it's ready for collection.

The future is here....

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In addition to the Doctor's manual intervention, it should be quite easy to program in checks on dates between requests - though whether they've done it or not I don't know...

Robbity

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My surgery allows you to log in and order your repeat prescriptions online. An automated e-mail acknowledges it. Currently, I have to pick the prescription up from the surgery and have it filled by the local chemist, but have just filled in the paperwork that will allow the surgery to forward the prescription direct to my local chemist, who will fill it & then ring me to say that it's ready for collection.

The future is here....

I have to take my repeat prescription to the surgery where it takes 48 hours to process and be forwarded direct to Boots pharmacy who then phone message me when it's ready to be collected.

Two separate journeys (and I need urgently to change the fact that I'm having to do this every 3 weeks, because I'm testing 8 times per day. I keep postponing the hassle of sorting this!)