Working out what to eat

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yeah i havent fully grasped it all yet i have things on my mind like the upcoming operation its clouding things if you see my point.Get that outta the way and get back on my feet and tackle the diabetes.I know it may sound like an excuse.Ill prob buy my own meter in time and see.

What was your HbA1c at diagnosis, it's not on your signature?

C

chris lowe

Yes you can put frozen meat in a slow cooker.
Personally I wouldn't use frozen meat, but that's just me. It will take longer for the slow cooker to get up to temperature and I'd be worried that meat in particular wouldn't cook right through. You can always defrost meat in the fridge overnight. If you are buying meat in bulk, split it up into freezer bags with enough meat for one meal.

Reactions: 4 people
C

chris lowe

Skip that Crawshaws idea just heard they have cheap meat thats of no use its poor quality etc thats why they can offer it so cheap.Stick to an independent butcher
The thing with a slow cooker is you can put tougher cuts of meat in because the long cooking time tenderised it. I've popped a bit of beef brisket in the slow cooker before bed time and left it on overnight and most of next morning and it's been very tender (I think the trendy name is "pulled" as in pulled prok/beef) I wouldn't cook a whole chicken in it though because of the risk of things like salmonella if it's not cooked at the right temperature. You can also cook porridge overnight though not really worth it unless there's a few of you for breakfast, and before I was diagnosed I used to cook steak and kidney in it ready for a s&k pudding and then use it to steam the pudding. They are quite versatile gadgets.

Reactions: 2 people

mpe

Did you know...
    A diet higher in saturated fat can narrow the arteries and increase the risk of a stroke, heart disease or certain types of cancer.

If you swapped from semi-skimmed milk to Sainsbury's 1% fat milk, you could help reduce your saturated fat intake by 45% a year.

Experts recommend women eat no more than 20g of saturated fat in a day and men no more than 30g

1) "higher" is a relative term, Also whilst this may apply to RABBITS there isn't any evidence that this has any relevance to humans.
(There is evidence that plant derived polyunsaturated fats, even in cis configuration, are immuno-supressive and carcenogenic.)

2) It would depend on how much milk someone was drinking in the first place. The more "skimmed" milk is the higher it's sugar content is. Which is far more likely to be an issue for diabetics.

3) A lot of "expert" advice on diet turns out to have no actual science to support it. (Even that which dosn't require rewriting biology or chemistry.)

There is the maxim that extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.
Claiming that foods which have been eaten since prehistoric times are somehow causing modern diseases is just such a claim. As is the claim that things made in factories which even our recent ancestors wouldn't even recognise as "food" are "healthy".

The whole "fat phobia" started in the 1970's (in the USA and spread from there). The result being diets which are 60-70% glucose. Which, even if they don't play a part in causing diabetes, make no sense at all for diabetics to eat...

anteater2012

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
People who don't listen to others i.e. the 8 members of this forum I have put on ignore as they talk such utter **** all the time. This now includes the member who thinks they are a moderator.
I cooked a whole chicken in my slow cooker last week. First hour on HI then remaining 5 hours on LO. Put foil or greaseproof paper between lid and pot. Keeps moisture in the pot more. Fed three people over two and half meals. Lovely chicken and no food poisoning. I also shop at Crawshaws as I am on extremely limited funds. I have no complaints.

Reactions: 3 people

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
I wouldn't start with frozen meat either.
In fact I like my meat to have sat at room temperature for a few hours before cooking in any fashion.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
The history of how we started using fats in the food industry and how we changed to 'healthy' oils to cook with is fascinating and disturbing! The western diet is based on sugar and carbs. Is it any wonder diabetics are carb intolerant. We had a Tate & lyle factory near us and sugar was called 'white gold' to the local businessmen!

mpe

John, through testing I have learnt I can cope with 1 slice of bread or toast with a meal (not on its own) but I cannot cope with 2 slices. Your meter will tell you what you can cope with.

Which is why it's important to test. Different people have different tollerances. Both in terms of the "what" and the "how much".

Look at the food labels and check how many carbs before you buy anything.

The "sugars" number can also be useful, in comparing foods with similar total carbohydrate.
But in this case you need to aim for the lowest "total" minus "sugars".
1.1 * "total" - 0.1 "sugars" will generally give you good estimate of the actual sugar content of a food.
Something the food industry does not draw attention to is that ALL carbohydrates are made from sugars and those which are not called "sugars" contain more sugar molecules than those they don't.

johnboy412000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Arrogant and ignorant people.
The thing with a slow cooker is you can put tougher cuts of meat in because the long cooking time tenderised it. I've popped a bit of beef brisket in the slow cooker before bed time and left it on overnight and most of next morning and it's been very tender (I think the trendy name is "pulled" as in pulled prok/beef) I wouldn't cook a whole chicken in it though because of the risk of things like salmonella if it's not cooked at the right temperature. You can also cook porridge overnight though not really worth it unless there's a few of you for breakfast, and before I was diagnosed I used to cook steak and kidney in it ready for a s&k pudding and then use it to steam the pudding. They are quite versatile gadgets.

I,love Tender meat i dont like it tough.Chicken has to be that well done it falls off the bone for me.

C

chris lowe

1) "higher" is a relative term, Also whilst this may apply to RABBITS there isn't any evidence that this has any relevance to humans.
(There is evidence that plant derived polyunsaturated fats, even in cis configuration, are immuno-supressive and carcenogenic.)

2) It would depend on how much milk someone was drinking in the first place. The more "skimmed" milk is the higher it's sugar content is. Which is far more likely to be an issue for diabetics.

3) A lot of "expert" advice on diet turns out to have no actual science to support it. (Even that which dosn't require rewriting biology or chemistry.)

There is the maxim that extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.
Claiming that foods which have been eaten since prehistoric times are somehow causing modern diseases is just such a claim. As is the claim that things made in factories which even our recent ancestors wouldn't even recognise as "food" are "healthy".

The whole "fat phobia" started in the 1970's (in the USA and spread from there). The result being diets which are 60-70% glucose. Which, even if they don't play a part in causing diabetes, make no sense at all for diabetics to eat...
Michael Mosely is doing a programme on BB2 Monday at 9pm about eating meat/fats. Seems that some "experts" are now saying the fats are not as bad as they said they were

johnboy412000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I wouldn't start with frozen meat either.
In fact I like my meat to have sat at room temperature for a few hours before cooking in any fashion.

Yeah i usually take it outta the freezer the day before and defrost it for a few hours at room temp making sure its in a bag so the damned flies cant crawl all over it.Then it sits in the fridge till im ready to use it.Bernard Matthews turkey roll i defrost in the fridge it comes on sainsburys delivery on a sunday and we use it on a Tuesday for the evening meal.

johnboy412000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Michael Mosely is doing a programme on BB2 Monday at 9pm about eating meat/fats. Seems that some "experts" are now saying the fats are not as bad as they said they were

Id rather cut as much fat off meat as possible.I dont like it

johnboy412000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I cooked a whole chicken in my slow cooker last week. First hour on HI then remaining 5 hours on LO. Put foil or greaseproof paper between lid and pot. Keeps moisture in the pot more. Fed three people over two and half meals. Lovely chicken and no food poisoning. I also shop at Crawshaws as I am on extremely limited funds. I have no complaints.

Someone told me the other day after experience they wouldnt touch crawshaws again cos the meat was **** and disintigrated on cooking

mpe

Saturates are good for you and polyunsaturates are the baddies if you are obese or diabetic.

They are probably just bad anyway.
What isn't widely known is that cell membranes are made up of chemicals related to fats called "phospholipids".
The wrong fatty acids in cell membranes (or lipoproteins) can cause all sorts of things to go wrong.
The fatty acid ratios of "vegetable oils" are nothing like that which is applicable for a cell membrane in a mammal.
Whereas coconut, palm and olive oils are a far better match, with the meat of mammals being a very good match.

Polyunsaturates are the main cause of visceral fat that surround your endochrine system which leads to a fatty liver and prediabetes

In the case of fatty liver disease the fat involved is made by the liver itself. Most commonly from excess dietary sugars.
It's a combination of lipogenesis rates higher than VLDL and/or cholesterol synthesis.
Hyperglycemia is something the liver will treat as an "emergency", hence will potentially injure itself to address. (As can happen in other cases of poisoning.)

mpe

I sacked my DN once I discovered this place mate.
Do a week of what she says and test regular.
Then do a week of what the experienced first handers say on here ... you'll see and feel a massive difference.
I think the NHS are trying to kill us all off!

That was one of my first thoughts. Another was along the lines of "I wonder how badly whoever came up with this failed chemistry".

mpe

The history of how we started using fats in the food industry and how we changed to 'healthy' oils to cook with is fascinating and disturbing!

If you assume that "healthy" applies to the profit margins of the food industry then things can make a lot more sense.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
Johnboy ... you might appreciate a bit of humour regarding all this food mlarky ....

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
If you assume that "healthy" applies to the profit margins of the food industry then things can make a lot more sense.
Yes of course!
The cotton seeds story of the USA is typical of profit before health.
Another is the history of E numbers that are sugars by another name.
Corn starch oil is now put in most manufactured food because of its cheapness and it's versatility.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.