Medtronic Enlite CGM Sensor

LandK

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi all,

My better half is a type 1 diabetic on the Medtronic insulin pump. She has been on the pump now for 3 years and has improved her sugar levels fantastically. Unfortunately they can still fluctuate up or down drastically and have been reading about the wireless Medtronic enlite CGM sensor. We are considering getting these for her and Just wanted to hear other peoples stories from people who have been on the pump and used these sensors and if they have made a great difference in helping keep the levels steady!!

Many thanks in advance

sallymac65

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Feeling high, people not understanding the difference between type 1 + 2, those people who dont listen!
Hi, Ive recently got a medtronic transmitter and sensors to use, like in the last week or so. My reason for getting it is that I often dont have warnings of hypos etc, and as I do a lot of driving with a fairly stressful job I couldnt take any more risks. So the sensors are great they tell you where you are at every minute of everyday, although dont be put off by the fact that the readings you are getting are about 20 mins behind your finger prick readings. This is I have to say a little difficult to take on board, but once you go its really good. Paying for the sensors each month is a lot of wonga, about £270 per month from what I can see, for me Im not sure I would use it all the time, but more like 6 months and have a break, but its up to your partner and what she decides is right. If your partner is used to using a pump, then using a sensor is pretty easy, they recommend you place it on the same side as the pump as it works on a wireless signal so dont do as I did and put it on my arm initially with my cannula in my stomach area, the results were very off.

Its a great piece of advanced technology, just a shame the price is not lower, but hey, if it works for you and gives your partner better control, then thats what its all about. See if you can borrow one from your local DSN or clinic before purchasing if you can. I hope this helps. Sally

Flowerpot

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi LandK

I've used Medtronic sensors for 3 years now with my Veo pump.They have been a life saver for me and have dramatically improved my HbA1c results and reduced blood sugar spikes.

My reason for using them is I have no hypo awareness and was going unconscious without chance to save myself. They are a fantastic piece of technology although a bit quirky. The biggest thing to get used to is the fact they measure interstitial glucose so the readings are about 15 mins behind blood glucose. This isn't a problem with stable glucose as the readings are often spot on, it comes into play more when you are hypo or hyper as the sensor can't quite keep up with a rapid rate of change. You work out where to set the upper and lower glucose alarm levels and need to factor in the time lag between interstitial and blood glucose when setting the low suspend alarm -when the pump suspends insulin delivery for 2 hours - I have my low suspend set at 4 which is the recommended level and by that time my blood glucose is usually about 3.5.

CGM shows the secret life of blood sugar and is a real eye opener to patterns that you weren't aware of. It helps you adjust the basal settings on your pump effectively and undoubtedly improves overall control. The results make you think about what you are eating and the effect foods are having on your blood sugar as well as helping to time bolus delivery more effectively to limit spikes.

I would also recommend your partner asks to borrow a CGM for a week from their diabetes clinic to see how it might help or if it is something they would want to use. Although it is great piece of kit it can drive you up the wall sometimes when it alarms constantly warning of hypos/hypers but that is what it is there for. You have to become tolerant of it! Hope that helps.