just had a binge (couldnt help myself)

fatgirl1965

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who don't look after their pets
Confession time (well it is Sunday after all) - I have just had the most glorious and delicious binge! An almond Magnum ice cream, a Ripple, 2 packets of crisps,6 crackers with cheese, 4 peanut cookies and 2 glasses of wine followed by an enormous dose of insulin to counteract all the sugar. Sometimes I just can't help myself - not proud- luckily I don't do it too often and I always end up feeling guilty but ohhhh it does taste good. God bless the inventor of insulin pens!! Hope everyone has a lovely Sunday x x x x

Reactions: 16 people

Russ

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Injustice
I've often heard it said (and believe it myself) that Type 1s are more fortunate than Type 2s (like me) because they have more control. When I have a binge, I have to guess if I've taken the right medicines and supplements to deal with it. I often get it wrong. Is there any harm done if you take the appropriate amount of insulin?

Russ

fatgirl1965

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I've often heard it said (and believe it myself) that Type 1s are more fortunate than Type 2s (like me) because they have more control. When I have a binge, I have to guess if I've taken the right medicines and supplements to deal with it. I often get it wrong. Is there any harm done if you take the appropriate amount of insulin?

Russ
As long as we get the insulin levels right we should be ok but when you eat a lot of sugar/carbs it is easy to misjudged the amount of insulin needed. That said, binges like the one I have just had are not good for keeping weight or cholesterol levels down

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Russ

You are partly right, partly wrong :)

Much of balancing insulin and carbs can be guesswork, it's a complicated algorithm of insulin ratio (time of day is a factor ), how long since last bolused with insulin, exercise taken, type of carb and how much fat you had with it and whether the stars are in the right alignment and the wind blowing from the right direction . So I would disagree we are more fortunate :eek: Get it wrong, we feel like death warmed up as we struggle to bring the BGL down, or else go so low we hypo and feel like death warmed up and fight to correct it.. Either way, it can lead to an immediate visit to A&E with Hypo coma or unconcious from DKA. Both possibly leading to death if untreated.

We aim for the fine line between feeling like **** either way and keeping on an evenish keel.

And that's for those who are well controlled :D

Large doses of insulin to cover will cause weight gain over time, and I've heard it said it can cause insulin resistance . Once in a while it may do no harm, but it's not recommended on a regular basis ;)

Signy

Reactions: 11 people

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Confession time (well it is Sunday after all) - I have just had the most glorious and delicious binge! An almond Magnum ice cream, a Ripple, 2 packets of crisps,6 crackers with cheese, 4 peanut cookies and 2 glasses of wine followed by an enormous dose of insulin to counteract all the sugar. Sometimes I just can't help myself - not proud- luckily I don't do it too often and I always end up feeling guilty but ohhhh it does taste good. God bless the inventor of insulin pens!! Hope everyone has a lovely Sunday x x x x

For Thy Sins, Thou Shalt run seven times round the block then trot my way with any left over cheese. Or wine will do! ;) (Is there such a thing as leftover wine??:eek:)

Signy

Reactions: 6 people

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Russ It is a fact that as a type 1 we can eat what we want. The only difficulty is gauging the correct insulin bolus. We have to try to mimic what happens when a non-diabetic eats hi carb stuff and has an insulin response that naturally and efficiently deals with the excess glucose. If we get it wrong and forget to inject insulin and don't test we could be staying with high blood glucose levels for days. DKA would inevitably follow.

I know there are some type 2s (you know who you are) who believe that type 1s should not eat a carb fuelled diet. But by injecting and testing and having an active lifestyle, we do have the ultimate control. When we manage to keep our daily blood glucose and HbA1c within safe levels, surely we are doing something right.

I am not advocating a carb fuelled inactive lifestyle.

Everything in moderation.

Reactions: 2 people

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Yesterday I found a bar of nutty nougat ... I ate it ... and a Cornetto!
My top reading was 8 last night 7.5 this morning so I appear to have gotten off lightly.

Reactions: 6 people

fatgirl1965

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
For Thy Sins, Thou Shalt run seven times round the block then trot my way with any left over cheese. Or wine will do! ;) (Is there such a thing as leftover wine??:eek:)

Signy
Nothing leftover when I'm around tee hee

fatgirl1965

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Yesterday I found a bar of nutty nougat ... I ate it ... and a Cornetto!
My top reading was 8 last night 7.5 this morning so I appear to have gotten off lightly.
It's all coming out now ,definitely a day for confessions - my name is Lorraine and I am a bingeaholic

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
My names Susan and I'm a transvestite.

Reactions: 11 people

XIX

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Believe it or not, I actually forgot I had diabetes while on holiday (clearly I was having too much fun ;)) and I managed to eat/drink a strawberry and nutella waffle, three scoops of ice cream, a large bubble tea, three slices of watermelon, eight chicken nuggets and half of someone's fries before I remembered.

Reactions: 10 people

fatgirl1965

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Believe it or not, I actually forgot I had diabetes while on holiday (clearly I was having too much fun ;)) and I managed to eat/drink a strawberry and nutella waffle, three scoops of ice cream, a large bubble tea, three slices of watermelon, eight chicken nuggets and half of someone's fries before I remembered.

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

LOL! Many people have said to me that this was a common form of amnesia when being first diagnosed :D Not helped when in the "Honeymoon period " when sometimes it seems you can get away with a real scoffest :eek:

It's also been reported by one or two long term Type 1's ( a friend, you understand ) that it's possible to have diabetic amnesia whilst under the influence of alcohol :rolleyes:

Signy

Reactions: 2 people

fatgirl1965

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Wouldn't it be great if we could all take a little holiday from our diabetes for a while, where we could spend a few days without having to count carbs, having to watch what and when we eat, without having to check we have some lucozade or glucose tablets with us for those 'just in case' moments:cool:

Reactions: 4 people

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Wouldn't it be great if we could all take a little holiday from our diabetes for a while, where we could spend a few days without having to count carbs, having to watch what and when we eat, without having to check we have some lucozade or glucose tablets with us for those 'just in case' moments:cool:

Sign me up for that!:D Actually, it's been so long that I can't remember it being different, but that doesn't stop me getting fed up with the whole thing :rolleyes: Just being able to have a normal sized bag instead of the whole kit carrying thing would be wonderful:)

Actually, that's given me an idea for a whole thread ...

Signy

Reactions: 8 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
That's what you call a binge, as long as you don't do it too often no harm will come of it :)

fatgirl1965

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
That's what you call a binge, as long as you don't do it too often no harm will come of it :)
Only on a Sunday when all the planet's are purrfectly aligned, there is bog all on the telly, I have the house to myself and I have used up all my lives on Candy Crush - my name is Lorraine and I am a Candy Crush addict (just realised, aptly named game for a diabetic to play)

Reactions: 4 people