just had a binge (couldnt help myself)

seaspray1998

Can I ask you guys, do any of you have problems coping with all the food labelling?

I find it all so bewildering, trying to work what 12g of 100ml of that is, and whether it's too much of this and that for you.

And Ive always been so rubbish at maths!

Why cant they just have labels that say NO this is just too fat for you, NO this just has too much sugar for you, NO it's got too much salt, do you really want a heart attack, put that down!

Why cant they make it simple like that???

I mean I thought rice cakes were ok - then I read that they were high carbs and I just felt oh for the love of god, even though I REALLY TRY (and it really does make it 10 times more difficult when your 'budget' is as limited as mine) I still seem to get it wrong!

Anyone want to be my label reading buddy?

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Can I ask you guys, do any of you have problems coping with all the food labelling?

I find it all so bewildering, trying to work what 12g of 100ml of that is, and whether it's too much of this and that for you.

And Ive always been so rubbish at maths!

Why cant they just have labels that say NO this is just too fat for you, NO this just has too much sugar for you, NO it's got too much salt, do you really want a heart attack, put that down!

Why cant they make it simple like that???

I mean I thought rice cakes were ok - then I read that they were high carbs and I just felt oh for the love of god, even though I REALLY TRY (and it really does make it 10 times more difficult when your 'budget' is as limited as mine) I still seem to get it wrong!

Anyone want to be my label reading buddy?
I look at carbs and sugar and stop there.
That's of course when I can read the tiny red print on the tiny red background .... grrrrr.

Russ

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Injustice
You are partly right, partly wrong :)

Much of balancing insulin and carbs can be guesswork, it's a complicated algorithm of insulin ratio (time of day is a factor ), how long since last bolused with insulin, exercise taken, type of carb and how much fat you had with it and whether the stars are in the right alignment and the wind blowing from the right direction . So I would disagree we are more fortunate :eek: Get it wrong, we feel like death warmed up as we struggle to bring the BGL down, or else go so low we hypo and feel like death warmed up and fight to correct it.. Either way, it can lead to an immediate visit to A&E with Hypo coma or unconcious from DKA. Both possibly leading to death if untreated.

We aim for the fine line between feeling like **** either way and keeping on an evenish keel.

And that's for those who are well controlled :D

Large doses of insulin to cover will cause weight gain over time, and I've heard it said it can cause insulin resistance . Once in a while it may do no harm, but it's not recommended on a regular basis ;)

Signy

I'm sorry, everyone. My language was crass and insensitive. I was ignorant and now I'm less so. It highlights the fact of how different Types 1 and 2 are.

My own LCHF (therefore higher protein) diet is complicated by being a seemingly lactose intolerant, non-meat eater who's not that mad about vegetables - so it's that that made me think that insulin would be helpful. I should be careful what I wish for.

Russ

Reactions: 2 people

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm sorry, everyone. My language was crass and insensitive. I was ignorant and now I'm less so. It highlights the fact of how different Types 1 and 2 are.

My own LCHF (therefore higher protein) diet is complicated by being a seemingly lactose intolerant, non-meat eater who's not that mad about vegetables - so it's that that made me think that insulin would be helpful. I should be careful what I wish for.

Russ

No offence taken, @Russ :) It's a common misconception that insulin injections are straightforward :rolleyes: I understand where you're coming from, but I can tell you from personal experience as a Type 1 vegetarian, wheat and lactose intolerant (yet a cheese addict :rolleyes:) insulin just doesn't make it easier :eek: My diet is downright weird :D

Signy

seaspray1998

And you get no help, no support or understanding - from the very people who are supposed to help me.

My 'weight issue' is nothing to do with that I'm either stupid or that a cuecumber never passes my lips, and everything to do with childhood stuff, and a limited to VERY limited budget.

But do they understand that? NO!

seaspray1998

And despite this, I have managed to lose 3 stone (have even managed to naturally shrink my stomach), but I am still treated like I've achieved anything, or any comprehension what it has taken me to lose it and how losing each layer is a painful and can be traumatic one

D

Deleted member 83869

It's the most annoying,addictive computer game ever invented where you have to line up matching coloured sweets, it should come with a government warning or somebody should open a Candy Crush rehab centre to wean us off it
It's all about Cookie Crunch now! lol! It's basically the same as candy crush though lol!!

fatgirl1965

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who don't look after their pets
It's all about Cookie Crunch now! lol! It's basically the same as candy crush though lol!!
Do you think the games would have as much appeal if they were called Celery Stick Crunch or Carrot Stick Crush??

seaspray1998

I'm just the fat thing that is a freek, and when you tell them (trying to retain some dignity) that I'm on a limted budget, it's just that I'm trying to find an excuse to avoid losing weight.

Idiots!

Reactions: 5 people
D

Deleted member 83869

I'm just the fat thing that is a freek, and when you tell them (trying to retain some dignity) that I'm on a limted budget, it's just that I'm trying to find an excuse to avoid losing weight.

Idiots!
I know how you feel i dont have a lot of money sometimes none so you just get the food you can afford as you would rather eat than starve as healthy stuff is so god **** expensive but they dont know because they're rolling in it and dont have to worry about money! X

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Idiots!

Don't hold back, Seaspray ! :) (Lovely name, BTW)
In the end, HCP's don't generally see you, or have an interest in your back history. You either tick their boxes...or don't. It's frustrating, irritating, and downright rage making, but the important thing is, you know the full story.

From what you have said, you have done amazingly well, be proud of yourself :happy:

Signy

fatgirl1965

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who don't look after their pets
And despite this, I have managed to lose 3 stone (have even managed to naturally shrink my stomach), but I am still treated like I've achieved anything, or any comprehension what it has taken me to lose it and how losing each layer is a painful and can be traumatic one
Be proud of who you are and what you have achieved! Sod the ignorant b.......s! If they had to walk a day in your shoes etc etc

seaspray1998

I literally stalk the reductions counters at my local Asda, so I can afford to eat such things as fish etc, otherwise its the value sausages which are rubbish and you know will push up yr blood sugar levels, but you just got to eat!

Seriously_Sax1989

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had to keep a food diary for a week as my nurse wanted it so she could try and correct my insulin ratios, however one particular day I was so fed up with work I came home and had 2 slices peanut butter on toast, followed then by the remainder of said peanut butter with a spoon... She was "shocked" I think is the only word to describe her face! My name is Laura and I love peanut butter <3