Usable Carbs

latchy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Beetroot and Liqourice
Hi All,
I was told I have Type 2 after a couple of blood tests, that was about 3 weeks ago.
Since then I have cut right down on my carbs, the practice nurse advised me to stick to 8 portions of 15g Carbs a day.
Glucose levels have come down but still over 6, the good thing is I have lost over a stone already(16stone 8lb to 15 stone 5lb in 3 weeks).
My question is this after counting carbs for the last 3 weeks and keeping a food diary I now find out about "Usable Carbs",
where if I understand it correctly you take the grams of fibre off the grams of total carbs to reach "usable carbs".
Or should I just be using Carbs "of which sugars" ? I was never confused
So is it "A".Total Carbs. "B".Total Carbs minus Fibre. or "C".Carbs of which sugars.
Cheers
latchy

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The uk total carbs are already less fiber
The USA total carbs have the fiber included and are deducted for net carbs.
If that makes sense
This will save you counting a lot
http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf

Keep your pn, it's not often you get a clever one

Reactions: 4 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you in the UK?
If so, you need to look at the Total Carbohydrate amount and ignore the "of which sugars". In the UK the fibre amount has already been deducted on all food labelling and is shown separately. In the US and some other countries the fibre amount is included in the Total Carb amount and shown as "of which fibre".

Reactions: 2 people

latchy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Beetroot and Liqourice
Thanks folks, I am in UK, so I have been using the right numbers PHEW!!!

Reactions: 2 people

mortiferum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I currently reside in the UAE - where most foods are imported from all over the world. The Nutritional labels differ alot but I find the 'place of manufacture' and the spelling of Fibre (UK) and Fiber(US) is a good indicator / clue as to whether the Fibre/ Fiber has already been deducted.

Reactions: 4 people