How do you feel when high?

PaulinaB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Apart from the thirst/ tiredness, my easiest to spot symptoms are really aching legs (build up of lactic acid) like I have just run a marathon or something, and a very "sticky" mouth - kind of like my saliva has turned to syrup. Not pleasant at all :(
Lactic acid? I'll have to read up on it! My DN said that it's "very unusual" that my legs hurt! Finally got some answers! Thanks!

Reactions: 2 people

steven taylor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How do I feel when high? Well if explaining to a non diabetic I will say... "just like you feel after you have eaten a massive xmas dinner and feel like sleeping it off in front of the tv!"

JRW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How do I feel when high? Well if explaining to a non diabetic I will say... "just like you feel after you have eaten a massive xmas dinner and feel like sleeping it off in front of the tv!"

This if through food.

Have run very high on stress hormones though, 20+ based solely on that having had basal and no food but bg >20mmol.

Gary25566

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who don't say thank you
When. I was young I didn't really notice if my BS levels were high unless they stayed high for a day or two.then I'd get thirsty and start to feel tired. Now it's a different story, really sickly, faint when I stand up, and legs feel like lead . Not sure if sticky sugary blood makes it harder for blood to get through my furred up arteries.

I'd rather have a low blood sugar than a high one. By high I mean anything over 20.
You sure that's not low blood pressure ? I feel like this if my sugar is low

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Gary25566

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who don't say thank you
I hate being high, much prefer the feeling of being around 4. Anything over 10 and I start to feel dry, get aching limbs and could easily go to sleep. I can also get a little grumpy. One other strange symptom is I get extra horny, not ideal if in public situations.
Pmsl it's the first time I have heard of high blood sugars making anyone horny
Most diabetics can't raise a smile with high sugars lol

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

adrian29459

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Certainly is odd but its something I've noticed over the years and I try to avoid eating lots of bad food in public areas. One more feeling I get is if I have high blood sugars during the night I have very vivid dreams. Kind of makes me want to get high blood sugars, I have little or no dreams when at normal levels.

Indiana91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'd forgotten I started this thread!
Some very interesting replies, glad I'm not the only one with those symptoms :)

Indiana x

Bogusman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Too numerous to mention
My legs feel heavy and I can smell amonia! I never check my bs when I get this, which is once in a blue moon, because I don't want a shock.

Bogusman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Too numerous to mention
I also can't stop laughing and put on Zappa's "We're only in it for the money", oh sorry, wrong high :)

XIX

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I feel absolutely fine when I'm actually high, but my hypo symptoms are the 'typical' high BG ones - chest pain, tiredness/sleepiness etc...

Seriously_Sax1989

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Haha my boyfriend would be a lot happier if I felt horny when high! Instead I'm snappy, quick tempered and even the sound of him breathing "too loudly" winds me up!

carolo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have the same symptom when high, I get horny too.
I asked my endocrinologist about it and she had never had anyone with that sign for high blood sugars and she couldn't explain it.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I feel thirsty and sick too.

asyarlk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just coming down after a high- not enough insulin for a croissant. Went to 13mmol. I didn't feel any different but very grumpy as being that high stresses me out!

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
A year ago I would have just said "feeling ill".
Today I have a list and every high leaves me in a different mess. What's common is horrific thrush with a swollen vein extremely hot and itchy. On occasion I have had a different vein in my internal cheek swell and cause toothache. I get very achy feet and jumpy legs. I have had a feeling of insects running around under my skin in my core area and legs/arms. I have also experienced a sharp pain behind my left eye.
When I was undiagnosed I wanted to gorge on high sugary foods until I fell asleep.
Because every high left me feeling a different inconvenience my poor partner didn't know if he was in luck or not. lol