BBC 2 TONIGHT AT 9.00 PM. The Big Health Dilemma.

mpe

Burgers, if bought rather than just minced beef and sausages are also both classified as processed meats. There is a big question mark about those.
Though apparently most people in the UK don't actually eat the quantities that the EPIC study, which I think was the most recent study, found to have an association between them, CVD and Cancer

Both burgers and sausages can vary by a huge amount when it comes to how much is actually meat.
But if they are of high meat content there is little difference between them and minced beef, lamb, pork, turkey, etc.
I've always found it interesting how products containing minced poultry or fish tend not to to be called "processed meat". Ever when adulterated with non meat.
When bacon is. Even though it can be easily identified as part of an animal.
Nor is "coated meat", such as battered fish, considered "processed meat".

mpe

They didnt take into consideration the amount of carbs he had with each meal,his plate was full of chips and burger buns,that would have put the weight on more than the meat.

Kind of what sanguine and myself suspected might happen.

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A book that I am reading at the moment - Know what to eat. authors L A Booth & R F Bilton - states that it is important that meat isn't barbecued because it is bad for you. Something to do with inflammatory response. This book was written last year so it is up to date and so far a good read and informative. Not only about diabetes but other diseases.
I believe that's to do with AGEs (Advanced Glycation end products):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_glycation_end-product

iHs

Quite a lot of the meat and poultry that's sold in supermarkets has been plumped up with a watery substance to increase weight and fool the consumer. Its only when cooking that you realise how much water there is.

Reactions: 2 people