Why did I even mention it

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who interrupt you when you're talking and people who won't listen.
So, my GP asked me to go back today and take my BP reading for the last 2 weeks. So I duly went in and was kind of annoyed that he didn't seem very interested and I was only there at his insistence anyway (could have emailed the flipping results). He asked how things were going and I mentioned I'd been happy with my BP readings at home (though was a bit concerned they may not be accurate, with it being such an old monitor), then I mentioned my weight was reducing nicely and I was obviously happy about that.

Then...

I made a mistake...

I kind of knew it was a bad idea...but I did it anyway...

I committed the great sin of...

...mentioning that I'd checked my BG at home.

He told me I shouldn't be doing that. i told him it gave me reassurance that things were heading in the right direction and knowing I was making the right food choices. Then he told me the home tests weren't' accurate. I replied I knew they weren't as accurate as a lab test, but they have to at least give an idea what's going on. He said they were no good. So, I asked him why people with diabetes are asked to check their blood. he said it;s because they can have hypos if they're on insulin. So of course...and forgive me, i just couldn't help myself, I asked why they bothered because, if the machines were sooooo inaccurate, they wouldn't detect a hypo anyway. He couldn't answer that one -think he'd realised the faulty logic in his argument.

So, I said, "look, it's not like I'm asking you to fund it is it?". And if knowing things are heading in the right direction keeps me on the right path, then I think it's worth it. At the end of the day, it's not you who's been told you're at risk is it? So, he just said, well if you want to that's up to you, but you'll find a 5-12 monthly hospital check is better.

I give up. Welcome to the NHS.

Changing GPs anyway this weekend...hopefully the next one is a bit more supportive.

Reactions: 14 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So, my GP asked me to go back today and take my BP reading for the last 2 weeks. So I duly went in and was kind of annoyed that he didn't seem very interested and I was only there at his insistence anyway (could have emailed the flipping results). He asked how things were going and I mentioned I'd been happy with my BP readings at home (though was a bit concerned they may not be accurate, with it being such an old monitor), then I mentioned my weight was reducing nicely and I was obviously happy about that.

Then...

I made a mistake...

He told me I shouldn't be doing that. i told him it gave me reassurance that things were heading in the right direction and knowing I was making the right food choices. Then he told me the home tests weren't' accurate. I replied I knew they weren't as accurate as a lab test, but they have to at least give an idea what's going on. He said they were no good. So, I asked him why people with diabetes are asked to check their blood. he said it;s because they can have hypos if they're on insulin. So of course...and forgive me, i just couldn't help myself, I asked why they bothered because, if the machines were sooooo inaccurate, they wouldn't detect a hypo anyway. He couldn't answer that one -think he'd realised the faulty logic in his argument.

So, I said, "look, it's not like I'm asking you to fund it is it?". And if knowing things are heading in the right direction keeps me on the right path, then I think it's worth it. At the end of the day, it's not you who's been told you're at risk is it? So, he just said, well if you want to that's up to you, but you'll find a 5-12 monthly hospital check is better.

I give up. Welcome to the NHS.

Changing GPs anyway this weekend...hopefully the next one is a bit more supportive.

The challenge and argument would be fine if the logic followed through; even if we didn't agree with their version. Sometimes I just can't get over where they bracket us, in terms of interest, intellect and plain old food chain.

That said; when I left the house a while ago to come to my meeting (I'm early, having made unnecessarily generous allowances for traffic) as I got into the car, I noticed I was wearing odd shoes. Nothing obvious you understand; one pink suede wedge heel, and one nave patent leather court shoe. Needless to say there was an unplanned diversion back into the house to put that right. :)

Should I be allowed out on my own?

Reactions: 12 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
They can't stop you from testing at home, especially as you self-fund the strips yourself. I think you put a good argument across Loobles :)

Reactions: 2 people

forge

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Getting old and everything that goes with it. All the repeats on TV. The drongos who ring me up to sell me things. Religious havens for pedophiles and war-mongers.
The Doc is right and wrong. The home tests are not accurate but they are still useful.

You sure have a lot to put up with in the UK.

Reactions: 4 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
I noticed I was wearing odd shoes. Nothing obvious you understand; one pink suede wedge heel, and one nave patent leather court shoe. Needless to say there was an unplanned diversion back into the house to put that right. :)

Photo please!

Reactions: 5 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I didn't know it was an either or....I can't think of a reason you can't get a couple of lab tests a year and still do home testing

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The challenge and argument would be fine if the logic followed through; even if we didn't agree with their version. Sometimes I just can't get over where they bracket us, in terms of interest, intellect and plain old food chain.

That said; when I left the house a while ago to come to my meeting (I'm early, having made unnecessarily generous allowances for traffic) as I got into the car, I noticed I was wearing odd shoes. Nothing obvious you understand; one pink suede wedge heel, and one nave patent leather court shoe. Needless to say there was an unplanned diversion back into the house to put that right. :)

Laughing my socks off here. Are you sure your BS's are as low as you say ..... sounds like high sugar brain fog to me. Lol.

Reactions: 5 people

Kaz70

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So can we all claim our money back through the trade descriptions act, after all monitors are mentioned in the NHS info I was given and are available in well known high street chemists!!

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Oh I so needed your guy's sense of humour today, thanks for that. I guess I just hate that lack of control thing, you know...that plus being treated like an idiot. How on earth he thought he was going to get away with that logic is anyone's guess. Twit!

I accept they aren't the most accurate thing on earth, but if they help keep somebody on track and help them make lifestyle changes to prevent them becoming diabetic, then I don't understand why they can't think that's a good thing. You know? Somebody actually taking care of their health. Sheesh...I don't know how you guys haven't committed murder yet.

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes

Hmmm...I'm thinking maybe you're not safe enough to be let out on your own, no LOL
Oh that cheered me up no end - shame there were no pics though.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Just think though when you go back in say for another review and when your hba1c has dropped....they won't have a thought at all to give you, least of all about checking your bloods.

I look forward to you really shaming their thought processes and can't wait to hear what is said then!!

Well done you.

mpe

Then...

I made a mistake...

The other bit of faulty logic is that he was happy for you to measure your weight and blood pressure at home.

The Hba1c dosn't measure the same thing as a plasma glucose test anyway. Lab blood tests have their own inaccuracies too.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Mumble, grumble.........

photo 1.JPG

Only because you said please, Sanguin. I wasn't going to put my frock back on though.

Reactions: 9 people

Kaz70

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think that shoe look could catch on, bet you've got another pair similar!!

mpe

I accept they aren't the most accurate thing on earth, but if they help keep somebody on track and help them make lifestyle changes to prevent them becoming diabetic, then I don't understand why they can't think that's a good thing. You know?

If you are comparing the results precision is likely to matter more than accuracy anyway.

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Himself is due his heart review next week had his bloods done this morning asked for a full panel, our nurse agreed no hesitation even to the diabetes test and was very supportive of himself doing a random bi weekly test at home, he has had his own monitor since I was diagnosed, as he has had one or two odd readings.
Hope your new Dr is clued up, wouldn't that be heaven, but I'm sure you will teach him the error of his ways.

Reactions: 4 people