bi lateral carpel tunnel operation

Bev18

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Has anyone had it done if so what was it like. I've been confirmed as definitely having carpel tunnel in both hands. Consultant going to do my right hand first. Then later do my left hand. Also what was the recovery time stupidly I forgot to ask.

I reckon the local injection will be the worst but would be nice to not have numb hands anymore if it works. Especially now it's colder in the morning, my hands really suffer.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Both hands with me were going to be done privately at the same time.
Unfortunately my father in law died the night before the op, so had one done private, one nhs. So instead of hubby taking time off to help me he went to his Mum's instead. So thats why I had one done at a time. Apparently they don't like doing both together but because I waa paying myself they did agree to do it for me.

I personally have got over all ops I've had really easy. I still walked my dogs and did some painting off the house whilst off. Was off two weeks with each hand.

Private op scar worse and more noticeable than nhs scar. The only thing I did feel on the nhs op was some pulling sensation in my hand whilst being done. Certainly wasn't painful. Private hand I didn't feel anything besides the sting of paying the bill afterwards.

Well worth the op's though. The pain I had was exceuciating only thing I could liken it to was putting my hands in acid all the time.

Bev18

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That's good to know, I've had a couple of that acid type pain, mines mainly numbness, loss of grip, keep dropping things, permanent pins and needles and hand going completely numb at night, never thought that could be why my fasting bloods hardly ever go under 8.

I'm an office worker as well, I can spend all day using a mouse or typing. Shall have to ring people more for a while. Imagine An out of office response saying I can't type a reply, ring me if you want a reply.

Reactions: 2 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
That's good to know, I've had a couple of that acid type pain, mines mainly numbness, loss of grip, keep dropping things, permanent pins and needles and hand going completely numb at night, never thought that could be why my fasting bloods hardly ever go under 8.

I'm an office worker as well, I can spend all day using a mouse or typing. Shall have to ring people more for a while. Imagine An out of office response saying I can't type a reply, ring me if you want a reply.

Mine felt like acid all night with pain up my arms too. The splints never worked to give any relief either! Never had any pain or symptoms since, although GP did warn it could return. I too, like you, was in an office at the time. Well worth having done. I hope it all goes well for you and you heal as well as I did.

Didn't realise that carpel tunnel could affect fasting levels, that's a new one on me.

Westie2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would also recommend the op. I had bilateral carpel tunnel during both pregnancies and had splints followed by injections. It reoccurred 7 years ago and it was agreed that they would operate 6 months apart. Same surgeon but I was unable to drive for 3weeks.
I did end up with a painful scar on one hand which occasionally twinges, but I received treatment and now just massage the area.
That said, pain free and happy with the results.

H

Hooked

My right hand was rated severe and left hand moderate after nerve conduction tests. I had the op done on my right hand back last November and have chosen not to have the left one done for the time being as it doesn't annoy me that much just yet.

If you'd asked me weeks following the op would I do it again, I'd have told you no way. Recover was slow and painful for me. The wrist still aches and is less mobile than the other one, BUT is now way better than it was pre op. The scar on the palm of my hand is pretty obvious, but perhaps will fade more over time.

The op is a vast improvement, but don't be expecting it to be a total fix for it. Good luck!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Right hand done four years ago. Excellent! Watched it being done. Off work a week. Well worth it! Hand and fingers working properly, thumb is still problem but that's not part of the operation. Recommend it!

Kazlbrown

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi I had my right hand done 18 months ago and end of sep now having my left done. Made such an improvement. The op wasn't that painful and at the moment only have 1 numb, painful hand at night. Would recommend you have it done

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had my right hand done 21 years ago, very occasionally it plays up now if I overdo repetative motions such as page turning for hours at a time. once your stitches are out gently massage your scar to prevent a build up of scar tissue. my surgeon extended my "lifeline" beautifully it now goes off both ends of my palm, and if you didn't know about the op you wouldn't see it. Would recommend it

Ruth B

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't have carpel tunnel yet, but as my mother has it there is the possibility later, I do already suffer arthritis in the hands and wrists. One thing I have found and would suggest anyone who is on the computer a lot consider trying is wrist donuts. They are cushioned bands that go around the wrists and support the hands while using mice and keyboards and keep the wrist joint flat. They are supposed to help prevent carpel tunnel and arthritis. I don't know if they would help if you already suffer from symptoms and its hard to tell if they prevent it or if someone wouldn't have got it anyway, but I figure they can't hurt and aren't expensive from Amazon.

It might also be worth investing in an ergonomic mouse (often found in the gaming mice section) I have a Logitech and a Razor one (one right handed and one specifically for the left hand) and they both hold my hand in exactly the same position as it rests on the desk.

Whether they help at all is hard to say, maybe in 30 - 40 years I can come back here and say if they actually worked.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ergonomic mouse and keyboard here.
Had tennis elbow and RSI in hand, so not carpel tunnel, but I would recommend them for anyone.

The problem is that you have no idea what problems you are brewing for the future. Sitting posture has a huge impact too.

If I couldn't use a keyboard any more I would have to change the entire course of my career. :wideyed: