New to pump - problem

dectjoh

Hi there. I went on a pump last Thursday and have had a great first few days. Changed the set on Sunday, fine. Changed it today and had a problem with the insertion device. I got my fingers caught up in the release phase and the needle only went in slowly and partially. I pushed it home myself but it hurt. I had dosed for lunch prior to changing the set. Didn't quite get the dose right so did a correction 2 hours after lunch. No drop in BG. Have now corrected twice but BG is continuing to rise. Help please. Do I change the set? My nurse is away on a diabetic children's camp so I can't be in touch with her until after the BH. Thanks, Tracy

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
Yes change the set as it sounds as if it's not in correctly. It's always better to be safe than sorry and although.its a bit of a pain to do another one (especially as you're new to it) it's best to do it. Let us know how you get on.

iHs

Not sure what set you are using but if it has an inserter device and the set has not fired in correctly, then it might have a bent cannula, so take set out and put another one in and then do correction on next bg test and then test again 2hrs later.

dectjoh

Thanks for the advice. Just changed the set :(. Bent cannula as predicted. Have given correction dose and felt the same sting I have felt on the first dose with the other 2 sets but not the change I did after lunch. Hopefully that's me sorted. Will test again in an hour or so and make sure I'm on the way down. In the 20's at the moment. T

iHs

Because no basal has been delivered or bolus if you gave that as well, I found that when bg went loopy I needed a bit more correction than the pump calculated, so if bg doesnt change or goes up, revert to insulin pen to safeguard developing DKA. Dont eat snymore food until bg drops.

Have feeling you might not be going to bed tonight until ery late......

Hope everything goes ok....

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I too give extra correction bolus for levels over 12.0. I normally add at least half the recommended dosage on again, sometimes I double it! However, that is because I been on a pump a long while now and know my reactions to corrections over levels of 12.0.

You should see a drop starting to happen within 1.5-2 hrs. You do not want to see a drop to target levels within that time as then you are very likely to go low. With pumps the ideal is to get back to target levels at 5 hours.

I do hourly tests if I have had **** with a set. I still go to bed but set alarms on pump to go off every 2 hours then.

Does the new set feel comfy when you aren't bolusing? I never feel a bolus, if I did I would change the set, however I'm not sure what sets you are using. On stainless steel sets that you put in yourself really easily, you pretty much will learn that if it feels odd when going in, then it won't work. My motto is "if it hurts it won't work.

I hope you start to see a drop in levels...**** feeling at 20's....

Reactions: 2 people

dectjoh

Hmmm, unfortunately didn't see this last post until after I'd dosed to reach my target levels. Once again, as predicted, I overshot. Was 8.3 by the time I got to bed, fine, but dropped to 3.7 by 5am. All good today though so thanks for your advice guys. Hopefully this won't happen too often! I found the whole thing quite stressful to say the least.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
If you are using teflon cannulas, it may be worthwhile trying stainless steel ones. Some manufacturers do 4mm, most 6mm and they are so easy to put in. Not relying upon an inserter. They go in straight just like an injection.

dectjoh

Have had a brilliant day. :) All readings, bar one, in the 5 - 7 range. Due to change set again tomorrow though, getting nervous already. Oh, and I didn't mention before, but I'm needle phobic! All very unnerving. Especially the idea of stainless steel cannulas. Don't they hurt when you bend? Or do you use other areas?

Having a CGM fitted on Tuesday. Any thoughts on whether this is a good or bad move?

T

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Personally I hated the pain from the self inserter despite it only being a brief second or so, and the faffing around loading it etc. Far less bother n pain with the steels. I hate needles too, always have.can't stand to look at needles in veins for blood from veins, can't stand watching on TV, never have injections for fillings in teeth, (not able to tolerate having them out without needle though!!).

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Never hurt bending, and I am a gardener, so do a lot of it. I cannot use my stomach at all though because of muscle and blood causing occlusions. I'm lean and muscly and flex ones were dreadful for my body.

Last edited by a moderator: