Packaging information

AlexandraMarnie89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
So I'm slightly annoyed recently to find that carbohydrate content is made almost impossible to work out on some packaging. They give us calories, fat, protein and sugar per portion, why so much hate for the carbs?!!!! I asked tesco this question in email (see below). I don't have high hopes for their response, but let's see. I needed to rant at someone!!

"To whom it may concern,

I am a regular customer of your Catterick Garrison store and do most if not all of my shopping there. However, over the last few months, I have been increasingly disappointed with the lack of product information on several products. Notably, today in particular, and regarding Tesco own brand large whole meal pitta breads.

In the UK 2.9 million people are living with diabetes, with around 400,000 of these having type 1 (commonly known as insulin dependent diabetes). This is something which is a highly self-managed condition, but relies heavily upon having the correct information readily available to be able to calculate insulin doses correctly. Without this information, people with the condition have to resort to guess work, and if they don't get it right this can result in either hypoglycaemia (low blood glucose) or hyperglycaemia (high blood glucose). In the worst case scenario, both of these states are life threatening.

Today, having bought my pitta breads, I went to work out my insulin dose for my lunch, and was very disappointed and irritated to find that, whilst there is a "per 100g" value for carbohydrate content, there is no "each pitta contains" value. Whilst this is an annoyance, I am a perfectly able mathematician, and set abut to work this out manually. However, I then found that doing this accurately would mean me carrying a set of scales in my pocket (really? Who has room for that?) as you fail to even give a packet weight anywhere within your packaging details. As evidence of this, please see the photos attached. You may not be able to comprehend my annoyance and anger at this situation, however it is something which is vital to diabetic control and in lowering the risks of complications in later life. I also would like to ask why this information can not be included in the traffic light system on the front of your products? It seems irrelevant to have sugars without the carbohydrate content as well? It would take all of 2 seconds (and no extra space on the packaging) to have "carbohydrates...of which sugars..." As a responsible retailer, and in particular one who so openly supports Diabetes UK, I find it difficult to understand why this information is not made readily available. As a responsible diabetic, I take all possible measures to manage my condition, including having no fewer than 5 carbohydrate counting apps on my phone, but is simply impossible for consumers to know nutritional content of products if it is not made available by the manufacturer in the first instance.

I would appreciate it if there could be a review into the information made available on packaging as in my opinion, and echoed in diabetes forums, the current standards are not acceptable.

Regards,
An irritated type 1 diabetic.

Reactions: 2 people

AlexandraMarnie89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Which I use...but myfitnesspal generally only has what is on the labels. I scanned the barcode, as I usually do, to find that it only gives the "per 100g) value. :( makes me sad!

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
AH I see, that's better than nothing though eh........

what food is it?

is it something that you would only use some of, then keep the rest for later?

AlexandraMarnie89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
This time - wholemeal pitta breads (6 pack) wouldn't have been an issue if there was a packet weight but there wasn't even that. And I've noticed it on quite a few things recently. -_-

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
bummer, just need to weigh one pitta to see what it weighs then work it out that way...........

and then you could add it on to the myfitness pal database for next time.......

I can usually find similar entries that people have made that give you the individual item info, but I guess sometimes we need to do it ourselves.....

AlexandraMarnie89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
This is true, and I usually would, but if you're out and about you can't always carry a set of scales in your pocket...though I'd love to see someone try!

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm afraid it reflects the ignorance around Europe about fats and carbs. Fats are listed as they are the supposed enemy and calories are listed 'cos all calories are equal and hence it's useful info; wrong. Since the 60s carbs have been seen as the good food so it doesn't matter how much you eat and sugar is seen as something else? How on earth a society with zillions of educated people can have been so derailed is beyond me but there you go. Good job we have a better understanding of the body's metabolism :) PS I thought it was a great letter but sadly you will get a dumb reply as Tesco don't understand it either.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
This is true, and I usually would, but if you're out and about you can't always carry a set of scales in your pocket...though I'd love to see someone try!

That's true, but once you've weighed out your pitta bread you can log it in your phone say for future reference, with some products the food item can vary in size and I think this is why they give the carbs per 100g reading.

Good luck and hope you letter does the trick, Tesco's are normally quite good at responding to letters so you should receive a reply back soon.