Should I tell my new boss?

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Amazing idea number 2!

I decided I could leave my blood sugar monitor on one of the desks and someone would eventually pick it up and ask what it was, so then I could tell them!

... Any opinions on this idea? haha
Good idea

Marko723

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Amazing idea number 2!

I decided I could leave my blood sugar monitor on one of the desks and someone would eventually pick it up and ask what it was, so then I could tell them!

... Any opinions on this idea? haha
Sounds good to me. Casual is the best. There's always a chance for someone out there to make the accusation that you're playing the sympathy card or just seeking attention. This way you're not bringing it up

Jelaca

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sounds good to me. Casual is the best. There's always a chance for someone out there to make the accusation that you're playing the sympathy card or just seeking attention. This way you're not bringing it up

Yay :) I'm glad you think so.. I feel the same way, so maybe this will be the best way!

I will keep you all updated on operation tell boss :)

oweri02

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Jelaca, good luck for this. I work for a large company with first aiders all around, I chose to tell them from the start of my insulin usage, with descriptions of the difference between Hypo and Hyper (smell of pear drops) etc

I personally would go with the "I have diabetes" not "I am a diabetic" - don't be labelled by what life throws at you - watch out for the people with Type 0 Diabetes too;

Type Zero
A person that does not have Diabetes

Symptoms
Vastly stupid questioning of people with Diabetes
The inability to distinguish between Type 1 and Type 2
Making wild assumptions on what people with Diabetes can and cannot do, or eat!

Severe Type Zeros
Are often noticed with sudden pain in the nose/jaw area, caused by an offended person with Diabetes.

Hope it helps, it made me laugh!

Reactions: 2 people

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
be prepared to have to test lots of peoples' bloods - I did

squeezelouise400

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was once told that diabetics who fail to tell their employers that they have diabetes leave themselves open for dismissal, and that an employer can terminate the employment of a person with a condition if they were not informed. I have heard of this happening to people with epilepsy who fit at work but had failed to inform their employers of their condition.

It is good manners to inform your employer of your condition as failing to do so can put your colleagues in an awkward situation. I always tell my manager as well as the people I work with but I only mention it once and usually will not talk about it again. .

Marko723

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As of yesterday everyone in my sub-department now knows. Yesterday was our group lunch out together, company sponsored appreciation function. The restaurant chosen this time has one of the best an more extensive buffets that I've been too. Given my fairly recent lchf diet, I thought it best to play it safe, as it's not always obvious what ingredients are in a dish. I approached an ask a coworker that moring if she wouldn't mind 'steering' me a way from dishes with certain ingredients. She looked a little puzzled, then I told her that I was recently diagnosed as type 2. She happilied agreed, and to my surprise has very good knowledge go lchf when I mention it. (This was an East Indian restaurant,my co-works home country)

After everyone moved through the line, and I successfully navigated through, (at times wishing I could grab some rice or potatoe dishes), we sat at a large table. The naan bread arrived ( my other weakness) , and was passed around. When it was passed to me, the two people in the group that already knew, looked my way for my response. I basically said I would love to, but I can't do to dietary restriction.

The most of the meal was then spent answering questions on what I can eat and why or why not some foods are good whole others are considered bad. A couple comments also raised the point of my massive weight loss in just 9-10 weeks. In a nut shell, lots of personal intrest in me, some concern that I was ok, but mostly couriosity on diabetes. Questions continues on my menu choices and the lchf diet continued on the walk back to work, me in the center and most everyone else in a circle around me.

Fairly large response to a casual mention on not being able to enjoy naan bread with the current meal. The rest of the day was normal, no more mention of the earlier conversation, office business as usual. Atmosphere felt the same as it did in the past, as if nothing really changed.

Jelaca

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I told him! Well not directly... I put one of my "I'm diabetic" cards on his desk hidden slightly, and he found it and said, "Is this yours?" SORTED! :D

Reactions: 6 people