Access to test strips - can you logically answer 'no' to these questions?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Alternatively @Brunneria there's always the gentle reminder that 80% of obese people are not diabetics so therefore using that rationale, there's a lot more to the whole situation than someone simply eating themselves into this condition!

Good point. But how many of that 80% have comprehensive glucose tolerance tests?

Bloodsugar101 describes a number of different ways that impaired glucose tolerance starts to show itself - and a raised fasting BG is often not a symptom until quite late in the process - with full blown type 2 usually coming very late, after years of identifiable evidence (but not nec years of raised fasting BG).

But it is unrealistic to expect a pressurised NHS to give people those tests - heck, most identified pre-diabetics are lucky to get a test annually (my doctor seemed surprised when I reminded him that I hadn't had one in 3 years, and my father was told he was 'normal' with a fasting BG of 6.7, no need for follow up).

A comprehensive set of tests would include an extended oral glucose tolerance test, over 4+ hours. And several fasting tests, over different days and different times.

It just isn't going to happen.

Scouser58

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Hello to everyone, I have only just found this series of posts on T2, should/should'nt test. When I was first diagnosed I was given a meter and strips straight away, and that has has continued, it has always been my absolute belief that all diabetis should have testing meters and strips.
Infomation is the basic need to keep this under control, in all aspects of life.
Diabetes is a very bad condition and by not monitoring it, can give a false feeling of it's ok to just put the blinkers on and ignore what is going on within your body.
The NHS is founded by central govenerment, who as we all know is tightening the belt si much that very soon it won't work at all. The tories are notorious for wanting to sit on their piles, which is the only way they feel comfortable, the bottom line has lots of money in it.
The condition is not monitored and kept under control, could well result in blindness, (RNIB needs more guide dogs) amputations, (more false legs, joints etc). So we the sufferers of this condition must make the doctors and nhs start to support us, in a proper manner, we want to test and keep our eye on our bs results and keep records of what happens like being 7.1 then starting to shake, sweat, tremble and know that a hypo is getting going big style, then testing expecting to find bs in boots, but it's only 5,?, what a surprise, with out my meter I would have been panicking. or maybe even using a hypo kit to bring the bs levels back up, when it was not needed, maybe just the effects of the heat and going a lot on a very hot day, good data = right responses to the situation and no panic stations.

So I agree with all that has gone before this post, information is vital to such a body ruining condition, and testing is vital to the picture, some gp's dont want to spend money onwhat they see as a waste of resources, they are not the ones with the condition. Not all t2's could afford to pay for their own testing strips, as their financial situationis on the tightside of things. I have been very fortunate to have replied for a testing meter on 2 occasions and been sent both from different companies, and these are clever types that can down load the data direct to your computer records.
One seems like a general type, and the other is the cartridge type for t1 insulin dependant people, maybe I could give these away to somebody who needs them.

All diabetics stand up and demand equal treatment and equal support equipment, it is vital to our health and wellbeing.
2015 get the tories out and maybe labour will be able to reverse the damage that has been done, just like tony b did in 1997, after the damage by the previous tory govenment damage, ttfn

Reactions: 4 people

1andylock

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was on test strip via prescription and i got a letter saying from the docs saying that it was not necessary and they would give me one a week instead of unlimited.
By then i knew how to control my diabetes and what spiked me and what did not and what to eat when.
So i shot them a letter complaining that they were treating me as a number and not an individual. It made no difference but let me vent my feelings.
I travel abroad constantly and find the need to test more than once a week so i get more if i need them but it takes some persuading but i don't give up.
But i have to say now i understand my body and food i can get away with once a week testing. I have it under control as my figures show.
We are all different that is my story it may be different for you.

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
well let's see about the rest...

1. No. The HBA1C does not measure average blood sugar levels , it measures something else entirely ( glycation of haemoglobin). Its partly because of that difference that the method of reporting was changed a couple of years ago from %s - 6.5 % A1C was too confusingly like an average bg of 6.5 mmol. But they weren't related.

That is a pointlessly pedantic response; are you seriously suggesting that glycation of haemoglobin is not related to serum glucose levels?

2.Debateable. The UKPDS study on which much of the talk about risks of Complications rests found that "good" A1cs lowered the occurrence of laser eye treatment for diabetics by 82% but had negligible effects on the three other main complications. The total reduction for all 4 complications was 88%. So they divided that figure by 4 and came up with the statement that good control of A1cs led to a 22% reduction in complications. Aggregating results like that to produce a false positive is what Ben Goldacre defines as "bad science" in his famous book of the same name.

If so then why do non-diabetics not suffer from diabetic complications?

3. No. we do not need to reduce bgs "over time" to lower HbA1cs we need to reduce bgs pronto ! The A1c although including some blood cells that are upto 3 months old is heavily skewed towards the last 10 days. That's why some dmers try to cheat by fasting and low carbing in the ten days before an A1c.

So, that's a yes then?

4. yes.

Thank you.

5. No. Carbohydrates are the major contributor to bg levels.

So, that's a yes then?

6. Yes.

Thank you.

7. The statement doesn't make sense . Should it say "our" ?

Thank you, typo corrected.

8. Not really - if you are allergic to a particular food for example you will soon know about it by blotches or rashes or anaphylactic shock without having to test your blood sugar levels. Diabetes should have been specifically mentioned in this statement instead of the sweeping generalisation.

Are you related to AMBrennan?

Reactions: 4 people

mark4785

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My GP was adamant that I didn't need to test. The DN said it was unnecessary toeing the practice party line I think. When I told her that I'd bought a test kit, she at least showed me the correct way of using it, but still muttered about it being unnecessary.

My dad is a type 2 diabetic and he hasn't been given a meter, test strips or any medication. He eats very healthily and is always on the move and the result is that his blood sugar is always in range. Given this, perhaps some DN experience a dilemma as to whether the above gadgets are needed for type 2's as some are in remission and some people are struggling?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My dad is a type 2 diabetic and he hasn't been given a meter, test strips or any medication. He eats very healthily and is always on the move and the result is that his blood sugar is always in range. Given this, perhaps some DN experience a dilemma as to whether the above gadgets are needed for type 2's as some are in remission and some people are struggling?

Those struggling need meters to help them get on track. Those "in remission" need them to help them stay there. There are very few "in remission". In any event, they should be given out at the time of diagnosis, when they are most needed.

Reactions: 3 people

mark4785

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Those struggling need meters to help them get on track. Those "in remission" need them to help them stay there. There are very few "in remission". In any event, they should be given out at the time of diagnosis, when they are most needed.

I can agree with that, but in my Dad's case, it seems like he's the exception to the rule. As a type 1, I've offered to let him use my blood glucose meter and he always refuses as his blood sugar is within range when he has his diabetic review. I've even asked him if he misheard the Dr. when HE says he was diagnosed with type 2!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I can agree with that, but in my Dad's case, it seems like he's the exception to the rule. As a type 1, I've offered to let him use my blood glucose meter and he always refuses as his blood sugar is within range when he has his diabetic review. I've even asked him if he misheard the Dr. when HE says he was diagnosed with type 2!

Good luck to your dad, I hope he manages to stay that way. You can take a horse to water, but you can't make him drink ...... ;)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Can I ask what his numbers are?

Only 'being 'in range' sounds fantastic, but it rather depends what that range is.

I aim for lower than the NHS guidelines (with varying effect) because the reading I have done suggests that NHS guidelines are not low enough to prevent the onset of complications, in the long run.

Last edited by a moderator:

jacqueline22

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was diagnosed with type 2, 16 months ago , after being rushed into hospital after having 2 heart attacks at home ,the hospital gave me a tester and strips b4 I came home and was showed how to use it ,my doctor always gives me strips and tester on script when I ask ,although he and my diabetic nurse do say I do not need to to it everyday or every week ,, although when I had a few hypos he did ask me to check everyday for 2 weeks as he had changed my medication so he could see how I was doing on the new meds still confused with my new way of life at moment ,and new to this site ,hoping to pick up some useful information to help me through this ,confused.com