Is it easy or Harder to put on weight on LCHF

trueblue

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I just got a book on LCHF that I saw being recommended on here. Previous to coming on here I had never even heard of LCHF. My question is,, if I try this LCHF diet will I just continue to lose weight?

I have already lost about 2 and a half stone on a balanced diet with exercise. I am doing the North Run in about 2 weeks and after it I was planning to take a break from running and concentrate more on my strength work outs at the Gym.

Will a LCHF diet and with as much protein as i can get will this help achieve more muscle gain or will it compromise it?

In this book all the author seems to go on about is weight loss,,, but I'm wanting to bulk up so not sure now.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

Ok so I'm not into exercise, running, or training for it!
But I have lots of experience of low carb...

And I would strongly advise you not to switch to low carb this close to a major event like the great north run.

After, yeah. Go for it. But not before.

Sorry, that's all I can contribute, but I hope it helps.

Reactions: 2 people

trueblue

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi thanks,, yeah sorry wasn't clear,, wont be changing anything major until after the run,, more planning ahead just at the moment

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
I found that it is not easy to put weight on, but I did, and I managed to put on over a stone by simply eating more meat, lots of nuts, cream, butter..... I think more meat was the main thing.

I have since eased off eating lots of meat, and eat more of what I want to eat (rather than more to put on weight), but have lost 1/2 stone over the last month or so. I am 6-2" now weigh 12 1/2 stone.

When I was putting weight on it felt like I was over eating.... Typically Breakfast 2 bacon, 3 low carb sausage, 3 egg omlet, lunch mixed grill salad or veg with a guinness, with cream coffees and almonds through the day. Dinner sausage and cheese salad.

Now typically breakfast; 1 bacon 2 sausage 2 egg omlet, lunch steak or gammon or salmon with veg or salad and Guinness. Dinner cheese salad.

Should add, my carb count for the day is around 30g. Exercise a little, typically 15 min run or 30 min ex cycle plus 1 or 2 hr walking.

It can be done.

trueblue

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
hmm I might have to still take some carbs then if you where struggling eating all that,, plus my gym sessions (4 a week) are usually about 1.5 - 2hr in duration,, my runs vary from 45min - 2hrs right now but will likely cut to one a week of about 4 or 5miles,,,and I swim a few mornings a week as well.

Like I said tho I would be adding protein shakes to the mix about 3 a day. Each is about 200 cal with about 40gm of protein,, but I see you where taking on a bit as well with the eggs and cheese. I try for about 3-6 eggs daily and eat plenty nuts, peanut butter and cottage cheese ,, I also eat fish (fly fisherman) and take an omega 3 fish oil supplement.

I am also on a fairly tight budget so eating steak for breakfast for eg aint going to happen lol,, I like your lunch idea of Guiness but not sure what my boss would say if I brought a tinny into work everyday lol. Going to have to look at re-introducing some sausage. I know processed meats are bad (Lorne sausage would be bad then ?) but will need to look into that,, we used to just get the cheaper packs from the supermarket but am guessing they will also be bad and no sure if I can afford lots of the expensive stuff.

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
The only low carb sausages I have found are the most expensive eg Tesco finest. 97% meat 1g carb or gluten free 97% meat. All the cheap sausages are full of carbs.
Yes, eating more meat is more expensive. Not tried protein shakes.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm struggling, but getting there.
I lost 26% of my body weight on low carb/moderate fat/normal (for me) protein. Then the time came to stop losing and maintain my new weight. This is where I struggled, but I am just about managing it now by calorie counting. I am still low carb - 60g average, and this hasn't changed but have upped my calories by adding cheese to my diet (didn't have any before) and some extra eggs. It isn't easy to strike the right balance and I couldn't do it without calorie counting. I must add, however, I am no exerciser! 2x 20 minute brisk walks a day, with a few longer ones from time to time.

Walshaw1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, can someone explain what a LCHF diet is please? Thanks in advance

trueblue

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
One other thing I was curious about LCHF,, is the GP told me ages ago that I had a fatty liver. If I recall his advice back then was just eat healthier and exercise. I know the low sugar and low carb side will be beneficial but would the HF side be counter productive?

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I just got a book on LCHF that I saw being recommended on here. Previous to coming on here I had never even heard of LCHF. My question is,, if I try this LCHF diet will I just continue to lose weight?

I have already lost about 2 and a half stone on a balanced diet with exercise. I am doing the North Run in about 2 weeks and after it I was planning to take a break from running and concentrate more on my strength work outs at the Gym.

Will a LCHF diet and with as much protein as i can get will this help achieve more muscle gain or will it compromise it?

In this book all the author seems to go on about is weight loss,,, but I'm wanting to bulk up so not sure now.
IMO, a 40yr old pre-diabetic can do any diet that keeps his 2hr after meal under 7, that he want's to in my opinion. If you want to bulk up, go to the bodybuilding sites.

there is absolutely no need for you to take more that 1g pkg of lean body weight, that's your BMI minus the fat
http://www.ausport.gov.au/ais/nutrition/factsheets/basics/protein_-_how_much
Recreational endurance athletes (b)
0.8-1.0

the bodybuilders normally LCHP to cut and get ready for a show, if I were you, don't follow their high protein. Just do LCHF part of it
https://www.google.com.au/#q=lchf+bodybuilding

forge

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Getting old and everything that goes with it. All the repeats on TV. The drongos who ring me up to sell me things. Religious havens for pedophiles and war-mongers.
Hello @trueblue
Cheaper meat cuts might be better cooked in a slow cooker.

It sounds like you should find out what you want to do first then find a way to do it.

julifriend

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I like your lunch idea of Guiness but not sure what my boss would say if I brought a tinny into work everyday lol.

[off topic]

Many years ago I worked with a chap who had a slice of German rye bread and a bottle of Guiness for breakfast every day. Given I can eat rye bread, maybe I should try this!

[/off topic]

trueblue

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thing is I have no idea what my 2hr after meal is as I haven't decided to get a meter yet. I am kind of not wanting to let this thing rule my life or become obsessed and testing myself constantly,, knowing myself I would just over worry about everything. I think I will wait a week or two after the North run and get another HBA1C and see how things are going since the weight loss and exercise. If all my efforts have not been enough to make a difference and I am still in pre diabetic levels or have even gone higher then I may then consider it.

If on the other hand my levels are more healthy then I may consider I can afford to take on some "Good Carbs" ie Brown rice, wholemeal Pasta and porridge ,, at least on the workout days either post or pre.

I want to do whats healthy for me,, but at the same time I dont want to get any thinner

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
you might have been too hard on yourself by the sound of it, if you have lost a batch of weight, I bet your BG is fine.
once you get a good a1c you are going to feel better, everyone is *highly motivated* [throw a wobble] to start with.
one way is to increase your carbs is a bit at a time,until you start to get carb cravings and then back off a bit
http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarb101/a/carblevel.htm
the above link may be enough help for you to stabilise your weight and keep your BG ok
A metre helped me a lot, I hardly test at all now. it took me 2 to 3 months to work out what I can and cant eat in a meal
eat to your meter, is a term you may have heard and my a1c was a full on diabetic
If you want to fine tune your diet, you may need to use a home BG meter, codefree and 100 strips off amazon uk
http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14045524.php
Thing is I have no idea what my 2hr after meal is as I haven't decided to get a meter yet. I am kind of not wanting to let this thing rule my life or become obsessed and testing myself constantly,, knowing myself I would just over worry about everything. I think I will wait a week or two after the North run and get another HBA1C and see how things are going since the weight loss and exercise. If all my efforts have not been enough to make a difference and I am still in pre diabetic levels or have even gone higher then I may then consider it.

If on the other hand my levels are more healthy then I may consider I can afford to take on some "Good Carbs" ie Brown rice, wholemeal Pasta and porridge ,, at least on the workout days either post or pre.

I want to do whats healthy for me,, but at the same time I dont want to get any thinner

modesty007

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
One other thing I was curious about LCHF,, is the GP told me ages ago that I had a fatty liver. If I recall his advice back then was just eat healthier and exercise. I know the low sugar and low carb side will be beneficial but would the HF side be counter productive?
Just read about fat liver gone with LCHF, so don't worry about it http://www.dietdoctor.com/fatty-liver-gone Consider upping good carbs more vegetables, root vegetables, nuts etc and skip all flour products (bread, pasta etc)

Irish Maeve

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rain

Hi Trueblue. I have a similar problem although for a different reason. I am Type2 Diabetic with High Cholesterol and HBP. Recently had problem with Acid Reflux which caused a sensation of a lump in my throat and a tight feeling. Stress played a part but I noticed every time I ate carbs it got so much worse. I cut all potatoes/bread/pasta etc out. I now eat protein and heaps of veggies. Almonds and Pistachio nuts are my new snacks. Cut out sweeteners and sugar and it has almost disappeared. The problem I have is I have never had much weight on me and now I am losing so much I don't know how to get it back. I also feel hungry all the time as I miss my potatoes and bread so much to fill me up. I also miss my coffee and scones! I see you have Protein shakes so might give them a go. I don't exercise much apart from the odd 30 min walk if the weather is good. Hope you don't mind me chipping in but if you have any other tips on putting weight on I would be delighted if you would share lol.

Irish Maeve

forge

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Getting old and everything that goes with it. All the repeats on TV. The drongos who ring me up to sell me things. Religious havens for pedophiles and war-mongers.
@Irish Maeve Mauve Eat more carbs and spread them over the day, Is the advice on one Diabetes Australian website. It should not be too hard to do with 3 meals and 2 snacks. You might just have a problem with gluten

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
Hi irish maeve
Cutting out all potatoes/bread/pasta etc is very good. To put on weight simply eat more fat and protein. Meat, fish, butter, double cream, full fat milk, hard cheese, mayonnaise. Aubergines

If you have always been slim I wonder if you might be LADA (Early T1). The only way to establish this is with a GAD test through hour GP, but they are expensive and gps don't like doing it. Have a read through some of the forum posts in the LADA section. If you then think you have some of the symptoms see your GP and tel him/ her why you think you might be LADA.

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.

Just read about fat liver gone with LCHF, so don't worry about it http://www.dietdoctor.com/fatty-liver-gone Consider upping good carbs more vegetables, root vegetables, nuts etc and skip all flour products (bread, pasta etc)

On LCHF (and less alcohol, more exercise) my liver function ALT went down from 51 :( to 17 :)

Reactions: 4 people