Working at sea type 1

hopefl

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Our 18 year old lad is wanting to work on cruise ships and I understand he has to undergo a ENG1 or ML5 Medical Examination. Insulin dependent diabetes seems to be an issue with these. Does it automatically preclude him? Does anybody here work or know someone who works at sea with T1?
regards
Ady

Hollister

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes :p
On cruise ships they have enough food and medical services to protect workers and tourists. However, they might seem it to be a "burden" if he has a history of many hypo's.

If he can prove his bloods sugars are constant and rarely suffers hyper/hypo's then his chances of getting a job could be alot higher.

Reactions: 3 people

Hollister

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes :p
Also, more companies are more accepting than others. If he writes a cover letter with an application explaining the condition, the control and reference off his DSN or doctor, many jobs would accept him.

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm currently going through something similar myself to get back my medical status for offshore oil adn gas work. There are OGUK (Oil adn Gas UK) guidelines that I need to meet such as stable condition for at least 6 months, no hypos needing outside assistance, good hypo awareness, self testing adn management etc but also each individual platform operator needs to approve up front and to have medics and facilities suitable to treat hypo and hyper glycaemia.

In my case, I could be medevac'd and into hospital in 2 hours or so if necessary.

If I were you I'd be looking for industry guidelines which may come down to the flag state for the ship, and also thinking about the "what if's"

Reactions: 5 people