Dextro or Glucotabs?

saundes3

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just one word - Dextro or Glucotabs - which do you prefer? I use Dextro for hypos but Glucotabs seem more popular now. Just curious what others use.

nmr1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
dextro energy is cheaper but I have to eat about 6 of them to go back to normal, glucotabs usually require 3-4 but are a bit expensive and are only sold in a few places, usually boots or pharmacies.

AlexMBrennan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Glucotabs come in more convenient packaging (cardboard tubes vs wrapped in foil) so I pick those.

RidingHigh

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I find that dextrose can go hard and crystallise. Do not know why but I have found that they do, which is why I have glucotabs. Sometimes I top up the container with squished jelly babies, as they are my favourite hypo treatment!! I buy my glucotabs online. I get 6 pots of 100 tabs (so 600). I top up my dayly carry pot when needed. They make my life that little bit easier!

Reactions: 4 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Neither. 7 dolly mixtures or 3 maomi pinballs or if home milk and sugar.
Both tabs to me are disgusting. I did have them after being diagnosed 30 years ago, but if anybody tried giving them to me there was hell to pay.. I just would not take them. Indeed hospital then told me a mars bar, but of course that would melt.

Even to this day I feel sick just at the thought of any dextrose tablet at all and thats with normal levels. My brain just does not like them at all.

Loving life

Reactions: 2 people

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't much like either, and especially don't like lemon or orange flavour, but I don't mind raspberry or blackcurrant. The texture is a bit off-putting, but one good thing about them is that I'm less likely to over treat a bad hypo than if there were shed loads of jelly babies within reach.

And I always feel EXTREME relief and gratitude towards either of them if I haven't run out of them at hypo time.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Neither, I use Jelly Babies. TBH I've not tried Dextro so would have to go with GlucoTabs given the choice.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
neither for me too........

I actually use half a bottle [500ml] of isotonic sports drink, works out at about 15g and its quick and free from extra calories...

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dextro - I don't particularly like them but like Liz said if I had something like jelly babies I'd over treat, I don't stand a chance of over treating with Dextro although the black currant ones are ok n I found some tropical ones the other day!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Miss90

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I hate them both!!! I use lucozade to treat a hypo followed by half a slice of toast

H

Hooked

Mini pack of skittles or Star Burst (I think that's what they call Opal Fruits these days!).

LizLola

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I use GSF syrup foil sachets (obtained on prescription) as i loathe dextrose tablets, as above. Dry and horrid. BUt also Gluco juice - pricey but tastes nice, twice as fast as tablets and 100 times more palatable. Quick too - especially if you need a lot, and what is more, you seem to need less than with tablets, each little bottle is 15 g carbs.

Nyxks

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Discrimination based on gender, age, medical conditions, etc.
Gluco tabs or gel if I can get it

Nyxks

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Discrimination based on gender, age, medical conditions, etc.
Personally though I keep vega one bars on me at all time because they are a complete protein/carb combo n one bar is enough to keep me level till I can get better food into me.

bobandpat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm with RidingHigh for buying the Glucotabs. Also I have several tubes so that I can have one in virtually every bag and in each of my bike jackets. I can be so stupid at remembering to pick up my hypo kit :(

Logie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dextrose everytime... Dislike Lucozade and know I'd not have the willpower to not stop @ 3/4 jelly beans! Did buy a small tube of Glucotabs to try as Dextrose can be easily broken but when I had a hypo I couldn't take the lid off... so resorted to drinking a small full fat coke

Reactions: 2 people

Gary Thom

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Jelly babies for me. I do sometimes worry that I may be subconsciously bringing on hypos due to my love of jelly babies!