Quick Hypo Snack

ShellyC23

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
What is the quickest way to fix a hypo? Last night I had a hypo 2 hours after a reading of 8.3. I had to get out of bed to test and binge until I was sure I had moved my level from 3 to a safer level.

After a Go-Ahead Yoghurt Break, a handful of dry roasted nuts, half a bag of Freddo faces and a half a glass of milk I was feeling a different type of sick so I took myself back to bed where I felt ill for the rest of the night.

Felt better this morning after OH made me a bacon and egg sandwich but I've felt rubbish all day as usual and guilty about my junk binge.

Any ideas of a quick snack to eat in the middle of the night next time this happens as it appears to be happening more frequently lately.

Rick.D

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I use casein protein with a teaspoon of peanut butter in it slowly releases protein into my body throughout the night

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Orange or apple juice 200ml or close enough. Everything you ate is slow release carbs so won't boost your blood sugars

Reactions: 6 people

ShellyC23

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Orange or apple juice 200ml or close enough. Everything you ate is slow release carbs so won't boost your blood sugars
Surely chocolate would boost blood sugar? I Don't buy fruit juice so it's not something which would be at hand

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The fat in the choc would have slowed it down, I'm afraid.

How about buying some of those glucose tabs and keeping them for emergencies.

The type 1 son of a friend of mine swears by them. He says they are vile, and he hates eating them - so he is never temped to snaffle his emergency supplies. ;)

Reactions: 5 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Surely chocolate would boost blood sugar? I Don't buy fruit juice so it's not something which would be at hand

Yep, chocolate is a slower release.. If you want out of the hypo fast (which I'm starting to apreciate most do.) it's not the best to munch on..
I'll do chocolate during a night hypo, but I'm at ease with the feeling & don't mind the slow "come up".
During the day when busy then it's got to be in liquid form, followed by something a little more long term on the carb front...

I've heard mention of jelly babies?? But can't remember the Doctor who mentioned it....

Reactions: 2 people

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

The individual sized cartons that come complete with a straw are a good buy, and last for ages if you are not using them regularly. I carton should lift you out of hypohell. They work so well that I can't use them as they send me the other way :rolleyes:

My choice is dextrose tablets, as thay are easily portable, and I don't like 'em so like @Brunneria@s friend, I don't have a problem with overdoing them :hungover: The taste is tolerable if you don't mind sweet, and they work fast

Signy

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Yep, chocolate is a slower release.. If you want out of the hypo fast (which I'm starting to apreciate most do.) it's not the best to munch on..
I'll do chocolate during a night hypo, but I'm at ease with the feeling & don't mind the slow "come up".
During the day when busy then it's got to be in liquid form, followed by something a little more long term on the carb front...

I've heard mention of jelly babies?? But can't remember the Doctor who mentioned it....
Jelly Babies!
Someone suggested having some in the car so I put some away ... out of sight.
Had a hypo and remebered the jelly babies.
Couldn't stop ... ate the whole bag ... went hyper!

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
jelly babies, jelly sweets, fun-size haribo bags,

sports gels (Hi-5 are 20g carbs) - and I always have those around, don't go stickly in a pocket either

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Jelly Babies!
Someone suggested having some in the car so I put some away ... out of sight.
Had a hypo and remebered the jelly babies.
Couldn't stop ... ate the whole bag ... went hyper!

Those sugar coated fruit pastels that come in a wrapped foil tube were my glove box weapon of choice...
Or Lucozade wedged behind the front passenger seat & the folding footrest... (Quirky Jap import.)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Liquid glucose is by the fastest way to treat a hypo, but Jelly Babies work well as do GlucoTabs. As a follow-up snack to keep bg levels stable (if your worried about going low again) oat crackers would be my my preference.

serendipity

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Needles!
Liver
Liquid glucose is by the fastest way to treat a hypo, but Jelly Babies work well as do GlucoTabs. As a follow-up snack to keep bg levels stable (if your worried about going low again) oat crackers would be my my preference.

But who can eat just a few Jelly babies?
Not me:hungry:

serendipity

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Needles!
Liver
I use the dextrose tablets and gluco juice then some slow release carbs in the form of a pack of four belvita milk and cereals :)

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Digestive biscuit with milk was an old school suggested staple when I were a nipper..

Though, if I could go over the top with a followup snack these days? I would destroy a Cornish pasty..!! ;)

notned

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes, cirrhosis, lymphoma, acronyms, green celery (because it's lazy), those computer programs that nag you night after night to download them and then, when you do, present reams of conditions and threats for you to accept before they'll run. DVDs that start with 5 minutes of threats - if I'd pirated it, then I'd surely leave those out.
I have Jelly Babies in my car and Dolly Mixtures by my bed. As long as the packets are unopened I'm OK..

Actually they're the same packets I put there when I was diagnosed in 2012 - perhaps I should check they're still alright...

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Digestive biscuit with milk was an old school suggested staple when I were a nipper..

Though, if I could go over the top with a followup snack these days? I would destroy a Cornish pasty..!! ;)

How times change, I do remember turning up at the diabetes clinic for my diabetes check-up and saying to the nurse that I was running low, a glass of milk and a digestive biscuit was what they got me :)

I only ever follow-up with a slow release snack if it's within 2 hours of my previous bolus dose, as the insulin still hasn't reached it's peak, other than that I don't bother unless I'm going to be quite active.