Lumps at injection sites

Robert 2170

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi just a quick one my levels have been going up and up all week and morning readings are high 17.6 this morning
We'll was getting ready this morning and have noticed a large lump on the top of my thigh were I inject my back ground insulin
Ok what I need to know what do I do now do I let the lump go down and not take any insulin or do I keep taking it but hope it does not over dose

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Just change to your other leg or use your bum for your basal.

Robert 2170

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ok will there not be insulin still in there or is that just a lump now
I no know there was something wrong cause when I was injecting it was hard to inject like the needle was blocked

Robert 2170

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I used to do my stomach but used to sting like mad
Sorry that was the lantus that did that I am on levimer now

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Ok will there not be insulin still in there or is that just a lump now
I no know there was something wrong cause when I was injecting it was hard to inject like the needle was blocked

Assume you injected your basal insulin this morning. The insulin will still be there and it's difficult to say how it will be absorbed, just leave it for now and inject your basal at your usual time but change injection sites, Lipohypertrophy is the term used for injection site lumps which are caused by overusing the area, it's always best to rotate your sites regularly to avoid these problems, also make sure you use a new needle with every injection.

Robert 2170

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I get mixed up with Basel and bolus
I inject my back ground at night so my morning reading is or should be coming down
I will inject in another area tonight

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I get mixed up with Basel and bolus
I inject my back ground at night so my morning reading is or should be coming down
I will inject in another area tonight

Basal is your background insulin and bolus is the insulin you inject before food, sometimes called quick-acting insulin (QA).

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Levimer still stings for me.....not been on it long

Just be sure not to use it straight from the fridge, this way it shouldn't sting as much, if it does ask to switch to another insulin such as Lantus (although some say this stings) or Insulatard.

maximo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have been on Lantus for a year or two....changed to Levemir about two months ago.....just recently began to sting. Not sure why.
Generally levels all over the place and me one grumpy hombre.....the harder I try the worse it appears to be.....in touch with D nurse but nothing seems to work.
Is there a course one can go on to learn more or does it just take time to accept and work out ?

buckmr2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Exercise
After injecting in the same area for many years my diabetologist nearly fell off his chair when he saw the size of the injection site (4 x daily novorapid and 2 x daily levemir) lump at the top of my right leg.He convinced me to rotate my injection site around my stomach rotating location as in a clock face.4 months later the huge lump has gone down considerably (although still noticeable) and no lumps in any one area of my stomach. Amount of insulin has decreased slightly and absorption is quicker.
Was against using stomach as an injection site after trying once there 40 yrs ago as a kid and having considerable pain which put me off all this time...glad now I changed.

Reactions: 4 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Is there a course one can go on to learn more or does it just take time to accept and work out ?

There is, one is called the DAFNE course but there are other type 1 carb counting courses available.

The following is an on-line carb counting course that is similar to DAFNE, it should give you the basics until you see your DSN and ask about a course in your area:

http://www.bdec-e-learning.com/

Reactions: 2 people