suspiciously diabetic @_@

Darling

Hey,

Lemme give you the basic facts of the current situation. I'm female, of asian background, 17 years old, 1.63 cm tall and weigh 43 kg, and apparently I have high metabolic rate. I exercise regularly (badminton, walking fast ... well, that's exercise sure) and I eat a diet of junk-ala-healthy....ish. You see, I can't resist chocolates and I must have one at least everyday. I don't like salt by the way, but sugar yes. You name it - fruits, honey, golden syrup, ice creams etc (surprisingly I'm not that fond of sweets). I don't like vegetables except carrots, lettuce and tomatoes (although I don't mind steamed spinach). My parents are organic freaks although I don't eat like them all the time. I'm rarely seen in college without some food in my hand (chocolates, sandwiches and even cereals lol). I don't like big meals but I prefer snacking all the time instead. Lol.

But after several warnings from my parents that I'm just eating way too much chocolates and that our family DOES have a history of diabetes, I began to consider about making an effort to eat a healthier diet. When I got this massive breakout on my face, my parents forbidden me to eat chocolates at all. The craving grew worse until I had a tiny bite off from Yorkie .... and, well, you know the rest. But I think I've calmed down abit because now I can stand without chocolates for 3 days so long the honey pot's not finished yet. And also, now increasingly aware of god knows how much toxic I got in my body, I began to drink at least 8 glasses of water.

And this is when the funny bits happened. I don't feel thirsty all the time, in fact I can go off without water for say, 7 hours. (Perhaps due to my obsession with lip balms, but anyways). But once I start drinking, my mouth always feel really dry and my lips gets chapped and even the tip of my tongue gets stiff and hurts abit. In lessons or even shopping, I have to rush to the toilet like every 15 minutes. Despite the inconvenience of trying to fuel one's self 10 glasses of water, I still held my 2 litres Evian bottle with pride. But I don't know. I just checked several websites for symptoms of diabetes and I seem to fit in every criteria except I'm not overweight, I'm not over 40, I haven't particularly noticed any weight loss and as I wear glasses anyway and I should've collected my new pair from the opticians last year, I don't think 'blurred vision' would count.

Hmm? And if these could be minor symptoms, is it already too late anyway? (I hate the idea of injecting insulin everyday, urgh). Okay I will see a doctor in the end but I need opinions first :)

shellie08

you dont have to be over 40 to get diabetes. Type 1 is quite common in younger ppl.

I'm 16 and when i was diagnosed at the age of 11, my mother noticed that i was thirsty all the time and i had lost a lot of weight. Have you noticed any weight loss? if so, u should go and see a doctor asap, especially with your family history!

Michelle

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hello and welcome to the forum.

Sounds to me like you are no different to most people of your age - eat too much of the wrong things but compensate with exercise! In view of your family history of diabetes, it would do no harm to see your GP and explain your thoughts to him/her. The GP can test you for diabetes, generally by taking a blood sample that is run through what is called an HBA1C test. This measures you blood sugar peaks and troughs over the past 3 months and will confirm whether you have diabetes.

Just for information, are you aware that sugar is highly addictive, in fact more addictive than nicotine? This includes not just sugar in chocolate but all forms of carbohydrate. You seem to have been on quite high daily doses of chocolates and other carbohydrate-rich foods. That is why your body keeps telling you "more of the same please - and NOW". In terms of diabetes, most type 1s are diagnosed below the age of 25, but it is becoming increasingly common for people to be diagnosed type 1 at much later ages. Similarly most type 2s are diagnosed at around 50+, but more and more young people are being diagnosed as type 2s. These days age is much less of a factor than it was in past years.

Ebenezer

Darling (if I may call you that)

I recommend you see the Dr asap. Its better to know your condition & get it under control than to worry about it. You WILL feel better. Controlled blood sugar & sensible eating & drinking will have a beneficial effect.

You're not alone - that's why you came here - & you should be able to find other diabetics your age in your locality.

IanD